Jump to content

Recommended Posts

For all those people saying "leave it as it is"; I'm not sure you'd be saying the same thing if 3 people immediately above you in your line of work left and you were asked to cover their collective responsibilities on your tod.

 

 

  • Like 1
  • Agree 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, keepitsteel89 said:

Bloody hell were about 25 steps into a 10k marathon and people are saying "make your mind up time" and " were totally sorted anyone can see that"

 

Let's get some perspective 

Is this analogy intentionally awful? lol 

 

First, we're not 25 steps into a 10k marathon, we're over 400 metres in to a 10k marathon (2/46ths of the way there).

So we're ~500 metres into a 10k marathon, and we still haven't decided how we're going to run it yet. We decided during training (pre-season) for the marathon that we weren't gonna wear the fish costume, we've decided to take it seriously, but beyond that... what are we doing? No one serious about a marathon hasn't thought up their strategy until they're 500 metres into it... that's perspective for ya. Choose a better analogy, because your one of choice actually makes us sound super unprepared, and it definitely isn't that bad! Heck, it's been a really good month or so. 

 

All people like myself and the OP are saying is that we want to maximise everything at the club, performance on and off the pitch, maximising and getting the extra quarter yard of pace and speed of thought and get an extra inch of precision onto the first touch of every player etc. Does a good coaching staff guarantee success? Course not... but it helps. Is a marathon decided after 500 metres? No, of course not, but it would help to know what the overall plan is by now. Getting the coaching staff in is the equivalent of making sure you've got plenty of drink stops along the way. Or something. 

  • Agree 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

 

I don't know whether Derby will get promoted. I do know that having a proper coaching team will give them a better chance than leaving a caretaker manager in charge for too long, though.

 

United had Wilder and Knill, who have over 1200 games as manager between them, plus Matt Prestridge and Darren Ward.

 

We currently have Bullen, who's been a caretaker manager for 10 games, plus Nicky Weaver.

They had to start somewhere...yes

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Don’t know if Glen Loovens has got his coaching qualifications. He’s kicking his heels at Sunderland as far as I know.

 

Would be good to see him back and would certainly command respect in a coaching position for us.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

No need to rush, there is no outstanding candidate out there and Bullen is doing a good job. I take on board comments about amount of coaches, but we have a team of experienced pros who will understand what is happening and will know how coaching and prep for games goes. Give Bullen until 1st international break and then see where we are at. That is in 3 weeks. If still going as well and has navigated some challenges then maybe go for it.

  • Like 1
  • Agree 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Is Strudwick the performance coach?

If he is then that covers a lot of bases..

Fwiw..there are persuasive arguments for both sides of this debate.. Chansiri is hard to read.. I don't know what's for the best ATM..

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

LB has been a good servant to the Club and stepped in to hold the fort a few times. If he's given the job and is sacked 6 months down the line we've lost a good man forever.

Mr C could be quite cute here. Give Bullen just reward for the job he's doing - if he continues to do well everyones a winner and officially appoint him towards the end of the season. If results go pear shape in a few of weeks appoint a permanent man and LB drops back as Coach/ Assistant - so he would still be an asset to the Club.

I'm sure there'll be some looking for a new job before long - Lampard and (tin hat on) Bruce to name 2. Before I get abuse - I wouldn't have Bruce here on a freebe.

  • Agree 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I was skeptical of bullen but in the post match interview when he said " we saw Barnsley and how they high pressed and we thought we would out Barnsley Barnsley" I thought so many managers would have tried to soak up pressure and play on counter but not this guy. He is wanting to take the game to the opposition and attack. It's refreshing. If Lee is given the job he will have my backing. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Really want Bullen to get the job now. I didn't initially want him but the last two fixtures where we have taken the game to the opponents has impressed me. Football has not been this exciting in years for us and the new signings have improved our first 11. I get we have only played two but we are now playing with an intention to win the game well and entertain. 

 

There is no one else out there currently that I personally want if Hughton refused the job so give Bullen a chance as interim manager. 

 

The fear I have is if he is hired and fired we lose him forever unless we offer him a DoF role which is highly doubtful. If he is 'interim' he can take all the plaudits for a job well done this year if it goes well and if it goes badly we can hire someone and get him to step back and become coach again. 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, SouthernOwl24 said:

Really want Bullen to get the job now. I didn't initially want him but the last two fixtures where we have taken the game to the opponents has impressed me. Football has not been this exciting in years for us and the new signings have improved our first 11. I get we have only played two but we are now playing with an intention to win the game well and entertain. 

 

There is no one else out there currently that I personally want if Hughton refused the job so give Bullen a chance as interim manager. 

 

The fear I have is if he is hired and fired we lose him forever unless we offer him a DoF role which is highly doubtful. If he is 'interim' he can take all the plaudits for a job well done this year if it goes well and if it goes badly we can hire someone and get him to step back and become coach again. 

 

 

I seen a lot of people saying if we offer him the job and he is fired we may lose him. But what’s different this time to the other 2 times is he’s made it clear he wants the job, he didn’t do that the other times. I don’t think it’s a guarantee he stays this time if a manager comes in. Would be strange working with someone who wants your job, and maybe another manager may feel intimidated knowing he’s got such a good relationship with the fans and club! Even more so now that many people feel he’s right for the job.

 

Not saying that’s what going to happen. But it’s very different from the other 2 times. I think it’s time he stepped up to being a manager with us or without us.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, 1993swfc said:

I seen a lot of people saying if we offer him the job and he is fired we may lose him. But what’s different this time to the other 2 times is he’s made it clear he wants the job, he didn’t do that the other times. I don’t think it’s a guarantee he stays this time if a manager comes in. Would be strange working with someone who wants your job, and maybe another manager may feel intimidated knowing he’s got such a good relationship with the fans and club! Even more so now that many people feel he’s right for the job.

 

Not saying that’s what going to happen. But it’s very different from the other 2 times. I think it’s time he stepped up to being a manager with us or without us.

Good point - give him the job! Nothing to lose and nothing attractive on offer for us. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, StudentOwl said:

Is this analogy intentionally awful? lol 

 

First, we're not 25 steps into a 10k marathon, we're over 400 metres in to a 10k marathon (2/46ths of the way there).

So we're ~500 metres into a 10k marathon, and we still haven't decided how we're going to run it yet. We decided during training (pre-season) for the marathon that we weren't gonna wear the fish costume, we've decided to take it seriously, but beyond that... what are we doing? No one serious about a marathon hasn't thought up their strategy until they're 500 metres into it... that's perspective for ya. Choose a better analogy, because your one of choice actually makes us sound super unprepared, and it definitely isn't that bad! Heck, it's been a really good month or so. 

 

All people like myself and the OP are saying is that we want to maximise everything at the club, performance on and off the pitch, maximising and getting the extra quarter yard of pace and speed of thought and get an extra inch of precision onto the first touch of every player etc. Does a good coaching staff guarantee success? Course not... but it helps. Is a marathon decided after 500 metres? No, of course not, but it would help to know what the overall plan is by now. Getting the coaching staff in is the equivalent of making sure you've got plenty of drink stops along the way. Or something. 

To be honest on a Monday morning I wasn't expecting this level of critique on my analogy lol, ok you you win..what you said:laugh:

  • Haha 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

:image:Wish we had appointed jos as caretaker on a 90 mins rolling contract..

 

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Has Jimmy Shan found a new job yet? I suspect he might be the right kind of assistant to help Lee through the hard patches ahead.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

When is a caretaker manager ready for the job?

 

Results have gone well which is a huge bonus and takes the pressure off for now. The fixtures on paper weren't that tough but credit where it is due. We haven't won our first 2 league fixtures in 20 years!

 

The real tests are to come so let's say we are unbeaten by the international break then DC really has a problem, maybe a good problem? When you look at the league this year and I know it's early days, it doesn't look as strong as other seasons and our fixtures are quite favourable. I would hate to see us miss out by not having the right management team.

 

Is that Bullen and co? I'm not sure it is but he's given himself a real chance. My mind still goes back to Burton at home though.

 

The next managerial appointment will be the biggest decision in DC's tenure in my opinion. We have to get this right. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

one thing I would say is any proven manager would take a look now and think it's a good chance to further enhance thier rep. Its definitely a win win for the club right now 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, kazads said:

They had to start somewhere...yes

 

Of course.

 

I'm not saying that we should or we shouldn't employ Bullen permanently; I'm saying that whoever we appoint it needs to happen sooner rather than later so that they have a full coaching team around them working with the players.

 

Leaving a caretaker to hold the fort indefinitely isn't the way to go.

  • Agree 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/08/2019 at 21:47, Mrs Blenkinsops shed said:

Just checked the latest manager odds..

Somebody called Tam a Shante is the new favourite..

lol

Weren't he the manager of the Bay City Rollers ? 

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/08/2019 at 10:50, StudentOwl said:

Is this analogy intentionally awful? lol 

 

First, we're not 25 steps into a 10k marathon, we're over 400 metres in to a 10k marathon (2/46ths of the way there).

So we're ~500 metres into a 10k marathon, and we still haven't decided how we're going to run it yet. We decided during training (pre-season) for the marathon that we weren't gonna wear the fish costume, we've decided to take it seriously, but beyond that... what are we doing? No one serious about a marathon hasn't thought up their strategy until they're 500 metres into it... that's perspective for ya. Choose a better analogy, because your one of choice actually makes us sound super unprepared, and it definitely isn't that bad! Heck, it's been a really good month or so. 

 

All people like myself and the OP are saying is that we want to maximise everything at the club, performance on and off the pitch, maximising and getting the extra quarter yard of pace and speed of thought and get an extra inch of precision onto the first touch of every player etc. Does a good coaching staff guarantee success? Course not... but it helps. Is a marathon decided after 500 metres? No, of course not, but it would help to know what the overall plan is by now. Getting the coaching staff in is the equivalent of making sure you've got plenty of drink stops along the way. Or something. 

Dropped back into dissertation mode for this reply didn't you ?

10/10......

lol

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...