It's Make Your Mind Up Time

1 minute ago, nevthelodgemoorowl said:

The only reason you see us having not really been tested is because you review the game after the result. Like most of us 10 minutes before kick off you're papping your pants in hope rather than expectation. There is no such thing as an easy game at this level.

I'm not sure what you are saying. Are you saying I can't review the game retrospectively and arrive at the conclusion that we've not been tested so far?

I'm a Wednesday fan, I go in to every game hoping for the best and fearing the worst.....it's how we roll.

There are no easy games in this league but some are easier than others.....

47 minutes ago, Morepork said:

I'm not sure what you are saying. Are you saying I can't review the game retrospectively and arrive at the conclusion that we've not been tested so far?

I'm a Wednesday fan, I go in to every game hoping for the best and fearing the worst.....it's how we roll.

There are no easy games in this league but some are easier than others.....

What I'm saying is the actual degree of difficulty is eroded infinitely once the result is in the bag. We all saw the Tykes dispense of Fulham last week and thought they will give us a tough time. It didn't pan out that way and some of the credit must be down to pre match planning. 

4 minutes ago, nevthelodgemoorowl said:

What I'm saying is the actual degree of difficulty is eroded infinitely once the result is in the bag. We all saw the Tykes dispense of Fulham last week and thought they will give us a tough time. It didn't pan out that way and some of the credit must be down to pre match planning. 

So once the result is in it's impossible to then objectively judge a performance? What we expected from the opposition and what they delivered on the day is irrelevant to my statement. Barnsley just did not test us, there are obviously reasons for that but it's how I and most people viewed the game. If you disagree with that statement and think they did test us, please explain what you saw.

To put this in some kind of context, a likely promotion rival in Derby County currently have Philip Cocu, Chris van der Weerden, Twan Scheepers, Liam Rosenior and Shay Given as coaches dedicated to working with their first team, whilst we have Lee Bullen and Nicky Weaver.

The longer Chansiri allows that situation to linger, the more likely it is that we'll suffer for it at some point down the line, in my opinion. 

The test will be how the squad reacts when we lose a couple of games or see a drop in our levels. 

Its all rosie at the minute after a couple of wins against teams we 'should be beating, but the best managers can rally a team and adapt to find a way to keep grinding results out during the difficult times. 

10 hours ago, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

Now that the season is up and running and we've won our opening two fixtures, there have been some on here suggesting that Chansiri would be wise to leave Bullen as caretaker manager until such time that we hit a sticky patch, when he could then appoint someone else.

Aside from the lack of certainty and stability this would create around the club, it's worth remembering that our first-team coaching staff currently consists of Lee Bullen and Nicky Weaver, with the likes of Neil Thompson and Steve Haslam having to help out whilst also focussing on their existing duties. The void left by Bruce, Agnew and Clemence is massive, and it's one which needs filling as soon as possible, rather than being allowed to linger. There's a very good reason why Chansiri appointed those three in the first place, and the need for a proper coaching team hasn't suddenly gone away with their defection up north.

The positive start we've made is great, but it's just that: a start. We need to be going into the remaining 44 games as well-prepared, well-drilled and well-coached as possible. Bullen and the other coaches appear to be doing an admirable job of holding the fort so far, but to expect them to continue to do so as the weeks turn into months seems naive, if not unfair. 

Whoever the new manager is to be, they need to be in place with the confidence that a permanent contract affords, and with a full coaching team around them in order to maximise any chance we have of success this season.

Now's the time for decisive action.

I agree with the point regarding coaches. If bullen does get appointed he must get suppprt in that area and be allowed to recruit. If the wheels do come off they could come off quite dramatically, he cant do it all on his own long term either. Uncertainty isnt good.

1 hour ago, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

To put this in some kind of context, a likely promotion rival in Derby County currently have Philip Cocu, Chris van der Weerden, Twan Scheepers, Liam Rosenior and Shay Given as coaches dedicated to working with their first team, whilst we have Lee Bullen and Nicky Weaver.

The longer Chansiri allows that situation to linger, the more likely it is that we'll suffer for it at some point down the line, in my opinion. 

I know what your saying but if that's the level of support the players get at Derby its not done them much good of the years.

2 hours ago, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

Will Derby get promoted...surely they must with that line up...remind me again who the pigs had

Every manager has had to start somewhere. The one we have all been clamouring for all season Chris Hughton got the job in a similar circumstance to Bullen. He’d never been anything but a coach. He took was Newcastle caretaker twice, and over those 2 spells he won 1 of 10 games. He went into the 09/10 season as caretaker because Ashley wanted to sell and ended up giving him the job due to a good start. He won the title that year.

If the club is happy to leave Bullen in charge then just make him the manager. Don’t sit around waiting for a bad spell because that will happen regardless of who the manager is. He’s got the ambition to be a manager so let’s give him that first step. 

24 minutes ago, kazads said:

Will Derby get promoted...surely they must with that line up...remind me again who the pigs had

I don't know whether Derby will get promoted. I do know that having a proper coaching team will give them a better chance than leaving a caretaker manager in charge for too long, though.

United had Wilder and Knill, who have over 1200 games as manager between them, plus Matt Prestridge and Darren Ward.

We currently have Bullen, who's been a caretaker manager for 10 games, plus Nicky Weaver.

12 hours ago, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

Yes, we were great yesterday.

But if we can afford to lose a trio as experienced as Bruce, Clemence and Agnew without needing to replace them, then you have to question what Chansiri was paying them so much for, don't you?

If Bullen's the man, then bite the bullet and back him properly.

It's called having a team of fit, quality players.

Agree with the last sentence 100%.

Not quite sure whats going through Chansiris mind right now

If he thought Bullen was the man for the job them why not appoint him? My theory is he is not convinced but neither is he convinced (other than probably Hughton) that any of the out of work managers linked with the job are what he is looking for.

Nothing it appears floats his boat from left field so where does that exactly leave him.

The only thing i can assume is he is waiting for the first batch of managerial sackings to see if anyone suitable crops up but what sort of strategy is that?

I really hope the situation is resolved soon. Bullen for all his loyalty will become pissed off if he continues to deliver and is not given the opportunity. Likewise the natives will get restless if we lose a couple and Mr Chansiri will come under criticism once again for not having filled the managerial position