It's Make Your Mind Up Time

Tough decision for Chansiri and there are risks to the game he appears to be playing with Bullen. Lets assume DC decides he’s not the right guy after half a dozen games despite a not unreasonable 50% win ratio? Bullen feels aggrieved, reasonably so and decides he needs to progress his career elsewhere because that was just too much face to lose. At which point we begin our search again.....?

We’ve not really been tested yet. Reading were average, Barnsley were hugely disappointing from a tactical perspective. If that game was an interview for Stendel it went very badly. Millwall will give us a good idea of Bullens tactical awareness and game management. I believe his man management and motivation skill are definitely there. 

LB, would not my first choice but I’d certainly take him over many of the individuals linked with the job. 

Edited by Morepork

OP makes a very good point. Right now we're riding a high that's there for many reasons, but part of that is the excellent work the fitness coach has done during pre-season. Whether Bullen has the man-management skills and tactical knowhow to be the man for the season is up for debate... what can't be up for debate is that a smaller coaching team (with the greatest of respect made up of relatively less experienced coaches) means they have a higher workload and you can get less nuanced coaching. We shouldn't be having academy coaches overstretched by working in the first team if we can avoid it... one or two fresh faces in the coaching staff would be ideal. We need to maximise the quality of everything at the club, and a lack of expertise coaching could result in a loss of momentum further down the line.

If we're backing Bullen, let's get some top coaches in to help all the backroom staff out. If it's not Bullen's, let's make sure the next manager can bring in some of his own guys to help all the backroom staff out.

5 minutes ago, TrickyTrev said:

Why the need to make a decision? Things are going well, why not leave things as they are and see what happens?

We did something similar with Stuart Gray, if by the time we get to October and we are still doing well then by all means give him the job but there really is no rush.

What Bullen has done is bought DC time to not be forced into hiring someone who might not be right for the job, instead he’s enabling him to do his research and no doubt put a list together for just in case things go south.

I would say however it’s Bullen’s to lose now.

Is Bullen the right man for the job? If so, he needs backing in the same manner that Bruce was. He needs to be allowed to build a coaching team he believes can really squeeze the best out of these players, otherwise things may go south due to Chansiri's lack of backing rather than Bullen's abilities.

Conversely, if he's not the man for the job, then act now and get the right man and the rest of his team in so that they have as long as possible to work with the squad and get the best out of them over the course of a long season.

Allowing the situation to drift without a full coaching team in place could well come back to bite us.

I’m a no on Bullen which is hard to say given how much respect I have for a guy that’s clearly one of our own.

I’ve said it before, I guarantee fans will show him less patience than any outside appointment when arguably the reverse should be true. Also, the pressure just cranked up as well because you can easily make a case for him having the best squad at his disposal since DC took the helm.

If he gets it, I back him 100% and I’ll probably be backing him for longer than many of those calling for his appointment.

10 minutes ago, Morepork said:

I’m a no on Bullen which is hard to say given how much respect I have for a guy that’s clearly one of our own.

I’ve said it before, I guarantee fans will show him less patience than any outside appointment when arguably the reverse should be true. Also, the pressure just cranked up as well because you can easily make a case for him having the best squad at his disposal since DC took the helm.

If he gets it, I back him 100% and I’ll probably be backing him for longer than many of those calling for his appointment.

he's either good enough or he isn't ....whether the fans show less patience with him shouldn't be an issue on whether he's appointed .......lets be right we'd have a new manager every  3  month if chansiri was influenced by what we say on here . 

I think DC has to make his mind up soon. If he’s keeping bullen then he needs to ask him what he wants to help support him. I think Stuart gray would be a good shout to help. 

If if he wants a new manager then bullen stays in his coaching role like the previous 3 managers regimes. I think it’s good to have the continuity and he’s clearly good at his role.  

5 minutes ago, torryowl said:

he's either good enough or he isn't ....whether the fans show less patience with him shouldn't be an issue on whether he's appointed .......lets be right we'd have a new manager every  3  month if chansiri was influenced by what we say on here . 

I agree. He’s either good enough or he isn’t and the next handful of games won’t establish that either way. We however, are clearly waiting to see...are we being astute or being foolish......time will tell.

Of course it shouldn’t be a factor in appointing him. I’m just expressing the opinion that I believe he’d get less leeway than some.

6 minutes ago, Morepork said:

I agree. He’s either good enough or he isn’t and the next handful of games won’t establish that either way. We however, are clearly waiting to see...are we being astute or being foolish......time will tell.

Of course it shouldn’t be a factor in appointing him. I’m just expressing the opinion that I believe he’d get less leeway than some.

it's not an opinion I share ........carlos got us to 4th and fans were calling for his head,  megson got us to 3rd spot and got dogs abuse ,I doubt if bully gets 4th this season he'll be copping it . ...

11 minutes ago, torryowl said:

it's not an opinion I share ........carlos got us to 4th and fans were calling for his head,  megson got us to 3rd spot and got dogs abuse ,I doubt if bully gets 4th this season he'll be copping it . ...

There are plenty on here that can’t even see the merit of Bullen as a coach or even his value as a team guy. To some of us that thought process may beggar belief but it exists all the same. By my reckoning he’ll start coping it on his first bad run of results, highly unfair but likely. Like I say, if he’s appointed he’ll have the backing of more patient and level headed fans but the fickle will be out on the first slip up not the seasons end.

Few managerial appointments fully galvanise the fan base but this one looks like it would start on a fair amount of divided opinion.

Edited by Morepork

The issue with taking Bullen on is we lose that continuity when the next manager leaves e.g. between jos and Bruce. 

Ideally if we could get someone like Stuart Gray that would be class. Or an experienced manager who would be happy to be an assistant to come in and help like Knill has done at the pigs

3 hours ago, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

Now that the season is up and running and we've won our opening two fixtures, there have been some on here suggesting that Chansiri would be wise to leave Bullen as caretaker manager until such time that we hit a sticky patch, when he could then appoint someone else.

Aside from the lack of certainty and stability this would create around the club, it's worth remembering that our first-team coaching staff currently consists of Lee Bullen and Nicky Weaver, with the likes of Neil Thompson and Steve Haslam having to help out whilst also focussing on their existing duties. The void left by Bruce, Agnew and Clemence is massive, and it's one which needs filling as soon as possible, rather than being allowed to linger. There's a very good reason why Chansiri appointed those three in the first place, and the need for a proper coaching team hasn't suddenly gone away with their defection up north.

The positive start we've made is great, but it's just that: a start. We need to be going into the remaining 44 games as well-prepared, well-drilled and well-coached as possible. Bullen and the other coaches appear to be doing an admirable job of holding the fort so far, but to expect them to continue to do so as the weeks turn into months seems naive, if not unfair. 

Whoever the new manager is to be, they need to be in place with the confidence that a permanent contract affords, and with a full coaching team around them in order to maximise any chance we have of success this season.

Now's the time for decisive action.

How long do i have to decide?..

2 hours ago, Morepork said:

I’d bet money that the ones advocating for Bullen are among the first to turn on him in the inevitable bad patch.

I'd bet money the ones not advocating Bullen are the first, without hitting a bad patch.

It's like if we got one off ' the list' we wouldn't have a bad patch.

He may fail, he may succeed, who knows?

He is a realistic option compared to the likes of most on the list.

Time to get behind him, if it goes tittts up we can always get rowett in and get promoted with no problem:rolleyes:

• Like 1

1 minute ago, sherlyegg said:

I'd bet money the ones not advocating Bullen are the first, without hitting a bad patch.

It's like if we got one off ' the list' we wouldn't have a bad patch.

He may fail, he may succeed, who knows?

He is a realistic option compared to the likes of most on the list.

Time to get behind him, if it goes tittts up we can always get rowett in and get promoted with no problem:rolleyes:

The worst of both worlds!!! WTF:The “No’s” and the “Fickle” both at him. He’s a more appealing option than most of the list, but is he the best we can do and is he more of a gamble than one or two others?? As you say, any decision could go either way. If it’s Bullen, like I said earlier in this post I’ll back him until it’s impossible not to.

Hang on a minute!!! Are you saying Rowett hasn’t already signed...! Someone assured me it was done FFS. lol

2 hours ago, Morepork said:

Tough decision for Chansiri and there are risks to the game he appears to be playing with Bullen. Lets assume DC decides he’s not the right guy after half a dozen games despite a not unreasonable 50% win ratio? Bullen feels aggrieved, reasonably so and decides he needs to progress his career elsewhere because that was just too much face to lose. At which point we begin our search again.....?

We’ve not really been tested yet. Reading were average, Barnsley were hugely disappointing from a tactical perspective. If that game was an interview for Stendel it went very badly. Millwall will give us a good idea of Bullens tactical awareness and game management. I believe his man management and motivation skill are definitely there. 

LB, would not my first choice but I’d certainly take him over many of the individuals linked with the job. 

The only reason you see us having not really been tested is because you review the game after the result. Like most of us 10 minutes before kick off you're papping your pants in hope rather than expectation. There is no such thing as an easy game at this level.