It's Make Your Mind Up Time

Guest HillsboroughOwlNI

Leave it as it is. Look what happened to Man Utd as soon as Solskjaer was confirmed permanent last season.

4 minutes ago, torryowl said:

i suspect that bullen does nothing but look after the squad....if he's got Haslam, weaver the fitness bloke & Thompson that's 5 working with a squad of 25,  how many do we  need? ......…. if we think that he needs a tactical coach to help guide him that's a different matter but from what we have seen so far that doesn't seem to be the case .

Haslam and Thompson still have their roles with the Academy and U23s, as far as I'm aware.

Bruce, Agnew and Clemence have all left and so far none have been replaced (which is understandable, given that we have no manager) - surely we can't expect Bullen to pick up their workloads as well as his own indefinitely? The sooner a decision is made and our new manager can start to properly plan for the future, the better, as far as I'm concerned.

4 minutes ago, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

How long do we 'hold', though?

Bullen's currently doing the job that four men did beforehand - if he continues to win games, then great. If not, then what else did we expect?

Surely Chansiri has spent enough time around Bullen to know whether he wants to give him the manager's job by now? If he's not convinced, then he needs to employ somebody else, allow them to bring in some coaches of their own, and crack on with the rest of the season with a fully-staffed coaching team rather than the threadbare 'make do' situation we're currently seeing.

Right now I couldn’t be happier with Bullen. Every decision he has made seems totally sound and has been successful.

But two games is too few for such a big call. We have seen what a proper manager brings. Bruce, love or loathe him now, brought in fabulous logical players and infinitely better fitness. We have no idea if Lee can become such a manager.

There will come a point where it’s obvious either way. Until then I think the status-quo is perfect.

11 minutes ago, CharlieOwl said:

I tend to agree and think it’s a point well made. If you want to back Bullen then back him and bring some extra staff in to support the man. 

My personal preference would be to bring the Cowley brothers in. Young, hungry and a great track record of yet and keep Bully on the coaching staff. However, this could be a gamble and end up being pricey in compo I’d just love to see them given a chance.  

Whatever the outcome is I’m still optimistic and excited for the season ahead, really think it could be a good one. 

They have always been my first choice for the job. 

4 minutes ago, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

Haslam and Thompson still have their roles with the Academy and U23s, as far as I'm aware.

Bruce, Agnew and Clemence have all left and so far none have been replaced (which is understandable, given that we have no manager) - surely we can't expect Bullen to pick up their workloads as well as his own indefinitely? The sooner a decision is made and our new manager can start to properly plan for the future, the better, as far as I'm concerned.

if bullen is working well with Haslam & Thompson then get someone to replace them in there previous roles ......

I’d bet money that the ones advocating for Bullen are among the first to turn on him in the inevitable bad patch. 

The irony is he could have lost these first two games and it would make him no less of a manager but there’d be nobody calling for his appointment.

Does he deserve a shot? Of course he does  but IMO that doesn’t mean it would necessarily be the right thing to do.

I worry most that we’re sat watching Bullen and just waiting. That would be foolhardy if things head even a little bit south. 

Edited by Morepork

46 minutes ago, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

Yes, we were great yesterday.

But if we can afford to lose a trio as experienced as Bruce, Clemence and Agnew without needing to replace them, then you have to question what Chansiri was paying them so much for, don't you?

If Bullen's the man, then bite the bullet and back him properly.

My guess is the majority of the excellent new players, were Bruce’s doing.

I somehow doubt Bullen would have the contacts and influence to have brought them in.

A manger like Bruce has a huge overall impact on a club.

I’d go proper stupid and give the job to Gattuso. He played in Britain with Rangers and his wife is Scottish so she’d fit in well with the squad. He’s got that Diego Simone crazy brilliance about his managerial style. Can’t see it failing 

lol

(P.s. his preferred playing style is 433 attacking.. it’s a perfect fit)

Edited by Owls-Fan
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, Holmowl said:

Right now I couldn’t be happier with Bullen. Every decision he has made seems totally sound and has been successful.

But two games is too few for such a big call. We have seen what a proper manager brings. Bruce, love or loathe him now, brought in fabulous logical players and infinitely better fitness. We have no idea if Lee can become such a manager.

There will come a point where it’s obvious either way. Until then I think the status-quo is perfect.

How long do we wait until we've worked this out, then?

I don't feel comfortable 'wasting' a single game in this league - come the end of the season, we could miss out on promotion by a few points, and not having a coaching team in place could make that difference.

If Bullen's the right man, then he'll need a proper coaching team around him. We can't expect him to do the job of four experienced coaches for too long.

If he's not the right man, then get someone else in and back them in the way we backed Bruce.

This halfway house can't be helping anybody.

1 minute ago, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

Yeah, if that's what he wants to do. He's unlikely to be able to make that call unless he's the permanent manager, though. Which is kind of my point.

i'd prefer the title of head coach ......guess it depends on what route chansiri wants to go down . does he  want a manager who's in charge  everything or just someone who gets the best out of the squad that the owner and his  recruitment team can provide. 

4 minutes ago, Spookone said:

My guess is the majority of the excellent new players, were Bruce’s doing.

I somehow doubt Bullen would have the contacts and influence to have brought them in.

A manger like Bruce has a huge overall impact on a club.

I agree, which is why I'd favour a more experienced manager.

But either way, we can't allow this current situation to go on for too much longer. We're going to need to fill the huge void left by Bruce and his coaches, and the longer we take to do so, the more their loss is likely to be felt.

12 minutes ago, Owls-Fan said:

I’d go proper stupid and give the job to Gattuso. He played in Britain with Rangers and his wife is Scottish so she’d fit in well with the squad. He’s got that Diego Simone crazy brilliance about his managerial style. Can’t see it failing 

lol

(P.s. his preferred playing style is 433 attacking.. it’s a perfect fit)

Crazier things have happened, Benitez and Bielsa being championship managers being two. The pigs being a PL side being a third 

Why the need to make a decision? Things are going well, why not leave things as they are and see what happens?

We did something similar with Stuart Gray, if by the time we get to October and we are still doing well then by all means give him the job but there really is no rush.

What Bullen has done is bought DC time to not be forced into hiring someone who might not be right for the job, instead he’s enabling him to do his research and no doubt put a list together for just in case things go south.

I would say however it’s Bullen’s to lose now.

• Like 1

The group of players is fixed apart from any outgoings (loans) until January.

It’s a simple decision, either someone + team to come in over and “above” Bullen or staff coming in to support him.

Can’t fault his decision making and results so far.

Why not be different while it’s working?  Let it roll but be ready.

16 minutes ago, Morepork said:

I worry most that we’re sat watching Bullen and just waiting. That could be foolhardy if things head even a little bit south. 

Exactly.

He's either the right man for the job, or he isn't.

Either back him or bring in someone we are prepared to back. Just don't chance our season on him working wonders without the proper support around him.

1 hour ago, daveyboy66 said:

No fuckthe self enttitled "experts "  we're ahead of the game now..we don't need any numpty on here telling us what is needed. Bully and his team have got it sorted...anyone who was there yesterday could see that 

Like mourinho said on TV earlier every manager started somewhere. DC has a big decision to make. Solsjaer had man utd playing well got offered the managers job then the players put their feet up once they knew he had the job.