It's Make Your Mind Up Time

Now that the season is up and running and we've won our opening two fixtures, there have been some on here suggesting that Chansiri would be wise to leave Bullen as caretaker manager until such time that we hit a sticky patch, when he could then appoint someone else.

Aside from the lack of certainty and stability this would create around the club, it's worth remembering that our first-team coaching staff currently consists of Lee Bullen and Nicky Weaver, with the likes of Neil Thompson and Steve Haslam having to help out whilst also focussing on their existing duties. The void left by Bruce, Agnew and Clemence is massive, and it's one which needs filling as soon as possible, rather than being allowed to linger. There's a very good reason why Chansiri appointed those three in the first place, and the need for a proper coaching team hasn't suddenly gone away with their defection up north.

The positive start we've made is great, but it's just that: a start. We need to be going into the remaining 44 games as well-prepared, well-drilled and well-coached as possible. Bullen and the other coaches appear to be doing an admirable job of holding the fort so far, but to expect them to continue to do so as the weeks turn into months seems naive, if not unfair. 

Whoever the new manager is to be, they need to be in place with the confidence that a permanent contract affords, and with a full coaching team around them in order to maximise any chance we have of success this season.

Now's the time for decisive action.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

Now that the season is up and running and we've won our opening two fixtures, there have been some on here suggesting that Chansiri would be wise to leave Bullen as caretaker manager until such time that we hit a sticky patch, when he could then appoint someone else.

Aside from the lack of certainty and stability this would create around the club, it's worth remembering that our first-team coaching staff currently consists of Lee Bullen and Nicky Weaver, with the likes of Neil Thompson and Steve Haslam having to help out whilst also focussing on their existing duties. The void left by Bruce, Agnew and Clemence is massive, and it's one which needs filling as soon as possible, rather than being allowed to linger. There's a very good reason why Chansiri appointed those three in the first place, and the need for a proper coaching team hasn't suddenly gone away with their defection up north.

The positive start we've made is great, but it's just that: a start. We need to be going into the remaining 44 games as well-prepared, well-drilled and well-coached as possible. Bullen and the other coaches appear to be doing an admirable job of holding the fort so far, but to expect them to continue to do so as the weeks turn into months seems naive, if not unfair. 

Whoever the new manager is to be, they need to be in place with the confidence that a permanent contract affords, and with a full coaching team around them in order to maximise any chance we have of success this season.

Now's the time for decisive action.

No fuckthe self enttitled "experts "  we're ahead of the game now..we don't need any numpty on here telling us what is needed. Bully and his team have got it sorted...anyone who was there yesterday could see that 

• Haha 2

It's a good point about the coaches but I would still wait the month out, if he doesn't do anything stupid by then I would give the job to Bullen. He wants to play attacking football which is a huge plus and he talks sense when on the radio. That is all I can go by as I'm not on the training pitch. He wants it and you have to credit it him for that because he has a cushty job as club coach/caretaker, that takes some guts as he isn't high profile enough to easily get another job elsewhere, he's a club man, other teams bar Dunfermline don't know him so it's a huge risk for him to take the job.

1 minute ago, daveyboy66 said:

No fuckthe self enttitled "experts "  we're ahead of the game now..we don't need any numpty on here telling us what is needed. Bully and his team have got it sorted...anyone who was there yesterday could see that 

Yes, we were great yesterday.

But if we can afford to lose a trio as experienced as Bruce, Clemence and Agnew without needing to replace them, then you have to question what Chansiri was paying them so much for, don't you?

If Bullen's the man, then bite the bullet and back him properly.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, striker said:

Agree, a decision is overdue. If it is to be Bullen, needs backing with infrastructure to give him and us the best chance to succeed.  

Are we lumping on Bullen then ? 

• Like 1

Quandary for DC, a new manager would likely want his trusted sidekicks/bumlickers/assistants to come in with him, so unless bullen is given the job then we can't employ new coaches. I actually think that getting good coaches is probably more difficult than getting a manager in. 

2 minutes ago, striker said:

Agree, a decision is overdue. If it is to be Bullen, needs backing with a support infrastructure to give him and us the best chance to succeed.  

Exactly.

All credit to Bullen for the way he's guided us through our opening two matches, but the Championship is a very unforgiving division and we're going to need every marginal gain we can get if we're going to reach the top six this season.

Crossing our fingers and hoping Bullen can continue to pull rabbits out of the hat without any proper support system around him is only going to get us so far. Whether it's Bullen or somebody else, we need a permanent appointment so that we can build a coaching team and get back to normality following Bruce's departure.

Holding pattern imo.

Too soon to give him a permanent contract. But wrong to look elsewhere.

If the players are behind him and want to help him get the job they will continue to work as hard as they have in the last two games. 

• Like 1

I'd say the biggest test for LB is can he adjust his tactics at critical times to save or win games.

He's in his 3rd stint as caretaker so presumably he's learning and has developed his knowledge of what manager's need to do (or not) by watching the likes of Bruce (spit), Carlos and... well maybe not Jos but you get my drift.

Right now he has a set of players who know him and he knows them so he's got the basis to establish and develop strong relationships to get his messages across in ways that motivate the players.

My vote is to keep LB.

i suspect that bullen does nothing but look after the squad....if he's got Haslam, weaver the fitness bloke & Thompson that's 5 working with a squad of 25,  how many do we  need? ......…. if we think that he needs a tactical coach to help guide him that's a different matter but from what we have seen so far that doesn't seem to be the case .

4 minutes ago, Holmowl said:

Holding pattern imo.

Too soon to give him a permanent contract. But wrong to look elsewhere.

If the players are behind him and want to help him get the job they will continue to work as hard as they have in the last two games. 

How long do we 'hold', though?

Bullen's currently doing the job that four men did beforehand - if he continues to win games, then great. If not, then what else did we expect?

Surely Chansiri has spent enough time around Bullen to know whether he wants to give him the manager's job by now? If he's not convinced, then he needs to employ somebody else, allow them to bring in some coaches of their own, and crack on with the rest of the season with a fully-staffed coaching team rather than the threadbare 'make do' situation we're currently seeing.

I tend to agree and think it’s a point well made. If you want to back Bullen then back him and bring some extra staff in to support the man. 

My personal preference would be to bring the Cowley brothers in. Young, hungry and a great track record of yet and keep Bully on the coaching staff. However, this could be a gamble and end up being pricey in compo I’d just love to see them given a chance.  

Whatever the outcome is I’m still optimistic and excited for the season ahead, really think it could be a good one. 

• Thanks 1

I think the senior pro’s will be helping Bullen out big time. Fletcher, Bannan, Westwood etc could probably be described as player/ coaches at the minute. 

If this is what’s happening, it seems to have made a very close knit unit.

All the players seem to be giving everything for Bullen. Long may it continue.

• Like 1