Milwall Up Next

3 minutes ago, handworth52 said:

we are top of the league and millwall are/were tipped for bottom 3 ,what are we scared of? there supporters? surely not there team. yer there organised but if you want top 6 you need to beat teams like this ,it will be a good test to see where we are . id leave managers job until sept 1st and access it then ,if we are top 6 leave bullen in job until next year. 

To be fair I don't think anyone in this thread is scared or lacking belief. I think it's the classic Wednesday caution that sneaks in when things are going unnaturally well!

It's definitely going to be our toughest test. They may be a throwback in their shape and approach (going to try and avoid too many clichés here) but Millwall make life bloody difficult, especially at their place.

I thought they recruited quite well over the summer, they know their best gameplan is using wide midfielders to get crosses into a big no. 9, so went and got Mahoney to provide service for Smith, who can be a nightmare when he's not trying to assault our players. Don't think Gregory is a big loss, the guy is incredibly wasteful.

I'd probably take a point, but as others have said if we go there with that mentality, they'll beat us. We've got to try and match up to their physicality, make sure we're watertight at set pieces and try and use Fletcher to occupy their back four and let Harris and Murphy in behind.

Guest Bulgaria
56 minutes ago, zico.b said:

Love that - The Wednesday Caution - has a certain ring to it and sums up things nicely.

Could be a new name for a beer in the Wednesday tap.

All those saying happy for a point, wobble your head.

Do we have aspirations?

We've just been told by a manager who got promoted that we out noused his team.   They came to press we pressed better and harder.

We go to win against Millwall pure and simple and we should expect to do so, any less expectation means our players will have doubt and not do what we know they can do.    Bullen is a battler, and he knows this.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, JackSWFC said:

Feel like we look a bit tougher this season, so although we previously struggled against teams like this, we should have enough about us to play tough, but with added quality. 

I will go a tiny bit further back.

I said towards the end of last season that Palmer looks a beast.   He attacks everything, and that was something I never associated with him before.

He still has that this season, a lot of our players have that now.   Even Reach was tackling and winning balls yesterday against Barnsley.

I like this new Wednesday.   Push up, press, tackle, harass.   

Palmer is my example because he is the most improved I can see of the old squad, and he deserves credit, but I see it all through the team and I wholeheartedly approve of it.

• Like 2

They have got a League One squad, they survive year on year because of their mindset.

If they stick Matt Smith up top and throw crosses in to him from everywhere they will get a few chances.

I would like to think we have too much quality for them on the day, we do need to match them physically though.

4 hours ago, tcuc3e said:

Why all this talk about being happy with a point?

They finished 4th bottom last season and should be happy to avoid the drop this year. 

We've won two from two and are looking at promotion. 

Obviously no easy games etc but these are the games promotion chasing teams should be looking to win, not draw. 

I think you are getting a little ahead of yourself and they are no mugs , I really hope we don’t  get carried away and start thinking we are there already , it’s a brilliant start and it’s a right bonus winning games and it makes me proud but let’s just take each game as it comes and take it from there !! 

We (Millwall) always do well at home against the big hitters that end up in the Championship.

Have a look at our record against the likes of Leeds United, Nottingham Forest, Aston Villa, Derby County and West Ham at home - it's phenomenal. 

So, if you lot are the real deal you'll get beat and then make the playoffs! 

On a serious note, seems like it'll be an interesting game if Wednesday like hitting teams on break. As Harris lets the opposition have the ball a lot. See if they can break us down and then hit them on break using wings and then a cross. Basic. But pretty effective. 

And it's effective because no, it's not a squad of 'League One players'. It's a team of pretty solid Championship players that know they've got to give 100% every week to remain as such. I think if you asked most players that play in this league the majority would probably say they prefer facing technically better (and far richer) teams like Derby County and Nottingham Forest than Millwall at The Den. 

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Orlando_Trustful said:

I'll take a point now. 

fizz that. We’re off to a good start. They aren’t great and we should be looking to beat everyone. 

We’ve played well so far and the team with all the new editions should get better and better as they all bed in. 

Westwood and bannan back too. 

I’d be disappointed with just 1 point and I hope the squad shares that opinion. Want them fighting for all 3. 

Regardless of the opposition, the team should try to win the game.

It's up to the fans to be realistic about the subsequent result.

Millwall away, a good result would be a win, an expected result would be a draw and a disappointing result would be to lose. 

Not the same for each game, sometimes not winning is disappointing, sometimes getting a draw feels like a great victory.

In any case, however, try to win the game.

I dont think he'll play Murphy and Harris. He said in his press conference there is a time for two wingers and a time for not doing so.

I expect Bannan back in but instead of Murphy and Westwood back in. Luongo probably being the first sub for Lee

Our first real test. If we’re going to maintain the kind of momentum, form and belief that challenging teams have then we want something out of this game. 

Our creation of quality scoring opportunities has been a huge positive in the first two games, we need to be a little more clinical though. Good chances have gone begging in both games and as teams begin to see our attacking threats and attempt to nullify them we may not always create quite as much.