New stadium

6 hours ago, 31Dec1966 said:

I think we would. PL is so different to when we were last there.  West Ham used to get 35,000 at Upton Park but now get 60,000. I know that's in London  but even so, we would sell 30,000 plus season tickets and with PL money our POTD prices could be lower, we would average 40,000 at least. Yesterday despite high prices, SAG rules, no manager, no big money signings, Bruce kicking us in the teeth, 20 years of mostly rubbish, and people still on holiday we had the 4th Highest crowd of the day in the British Isles ! And In the second division !

West Ham are a totally different kettle of fish.

Firstly, they're a bigger club with a larger, more loyal support base. Some on here will disagree, but they just are. 

Secondly, as you pointed out, they're a London club.

Thirdly, they get a lot of day tripper 'casual' fans of teams like Leyton Orient and Dagenham n Redbridge. Their catchment area of potential fans, or potential swaying fans is far larger than ours.

Edited by 1867owl

2 hours ago, beloved_aunt said:

If Chansiri can’t invest his millions in the team, is it seriously time to think about selling Hillsborough and moving to a new purpose built stadium?

I mean this as a long term investment to put us in a better financial position. 

Before I got shot down in flames please consider the following:

• there was that report a couple of years ago about how many millions more we (and Sheff Utd) have to pay to maintain our older stadiums than the likes of Derby and Leicester. That’s cash going out the window. 
  • other teams with similar or smaller crowds beat us on match day revenue all the time because our systems are antiquated and inefficient 
  • a new stadium would end once and for all our issues with segregation and SAG reports closing down big chunks of the ground and causing turnstile queues 
  • getting a name sponsor at a new ground wouldn’t be as bad as changing the name of Hillsborough and generate income 
  • there are loads of bits we need to upgrade anyway so may as well invest all in one 
  • the land we currently own has got to be worth a fair whack
  • some fans love our traditional stadium but for many many others it’s know for one thing, and it’s a big a disgrace really that Leppings Lane remains virtually the same from 1989
  • we rarely get close to selling out and stick away fans miles from the pitch, we’d have a much better atmosphere with a smaller, tighter ground

I've got to say, SAG's tactics are working a treat. We're getting pushed out of our home and it'll end up being our own idea. 

Fu.ck SAG

Fu.ck SYP

Fu.ck the modern "purpose built" (whatever that means) souless sh1tty new stadiums. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, 1867owl said:

West Ham are a totally different kettle of fish.

Firstly, they're a bigger club with a larger, more loyal support base. Some on here will disagree, but they just are. 

Secondly, as you pointed out, they're a London club.

Thirdly, they get a lot of day tripper 'casual' fans of teams like Leyton Orient and Dagenham n Redbridge. Their catchment area of potential fans, or potential swaying fans is far larger than ours.

And re my point on the day tripper fans of Orient and Redbridge - it counts for a lot.

West Ham have great relationships with both of those clubs, and there's zero animosity between them.

All of our neighbours hate us. The pull would be minimal compared to West Ham.

They also have a whole county in Essex, which I reckon is 60/40 West Ham/Spurs, with no other club barely getting a look in.

17 minutes ago, siowls said:

Not an expert, but a quick look on google shows plenty of brownfield and green space to build a stadium on. Train, Tram and Motorway links too.

P.S. Sozard for being sensible about it like.

How are the thousands who currently walk to and from the stadium expected to get to and from this mythical site, without adding to the transport chaos that the rather large shopping centre causes every weekend?

1 hour ago, Quist said:

Agree with all points except last one. If we got promoted to PL there are lots of fixtures which would attract near to 40,000 and you do not build a ground for an average attendance you build it with a figure in mind you can potential fill when big games come along. Yorkshire also needs a ground if we ever get another international tournament here again and Sheffield is well situated to bring fans in. 

For the record games against United, Leeds, Man Utd, Man City Liverpool, Newcastle, Arsenal, Chelsea, Tottenham and Newcastle would all attract well over 30,000 It is possible some from midlands would too if they were doing well. 

If you have sell out each week only way to generate more revenue is to put price up, a larger stadium allows more fans to watch at a more reasonable price.

Ideally what I’d want is a new ground of 30k with an upper tier that can be developed/opened up to increase capacity for big matches or when we get to the Premier League. But for smaller games sell from the bottom up so all the seats near the pitch are taken. This will improve atmosphere as the gap between fans (including away fans) will be smaller meaning songs can carry. 

The big gaps we have at the moment hurt atmosphere and look terrible. 

1 minute ago, beloved_aunt said:

Ideally what I’d want is a new ground of 30k with an upper tier that can be developed/opened up to increase capacity for big matches or when we get to the Premier League. But for smaller games sell from the bottom up so all the seats near the pitch are taken. This will improve atmosphere as the gap between fans (including away fans) will be smaller meaning songs can carry. 

The big gaps we have at the moment hurt atmosphere and look terrible. 

thirty thousand is too small would be a disaster. A club with our potential has to be 40,000 and hope we get into PL. With our potential and money in PL we would stay their if reasonably well managed. Gates are increasing and the clubs in heavily populated urban areas get over 30,000 per week and we would average over that. I think for Manchester games it would be 40,000 plus. Look at what we got when playing Arsenal in league cup a few years ago or when we played Palace to stay in Division. Also when we played Espanyol they had Chinese player and brought hundreds to watch us in friendly. Going forward if you get Chinese or Asian player huge potential for thousands of fans to come to games. It is about realising its a global game and positioning yourself accordingly. The type of ground you are talking about I would think says Championship and no better.

19 minutes ago, Sham67 said:

How are the thousands who currently walk to and from the stadium expected to get to and from this mythical site, without adding to the transport chaos that the rather large shopping centre causes every weekend?I

I hate to say this but wherever you put a circa 40k capacity stadium, there's going to be travel disruption. Unfortunately Meadowhall has by far the best transport links in the city - that's just a fact. Having a station and the M1 on the doorstep, would be great not just for us but also visiting supporters.

Pros: Train. Tram. Motorway. Plenty of parking. Food and entertainment. Car wouldn't get smashed up during game.

Cons: Driving round endlessly looking for parking is part of the match day experience. You'd be butt-hurt about it.

Edited by siowls

maybe its an age thing, but Ive been to most of the "new" stadiums and its like being sat in a sanitised bowl, no character, no history, 

fans ought to remember the atmospheres like wycombe, brighton etc, when owls fans had summat to shout for, and what Hillsboro' was like on those occasions.

The vast majority of clubs have the same limp atmospheres when theres nothing riding on it.

Sure renovate the place.

Parking?

ive honestly never had a problem, sure you might have to walk a bit, but its hardly a major problem.

Away fans overreact about the place simply because of what happened there, and I cannot remember many discussions about "Moving" before the disaster, so maybe it affects Wednesday fans as well, thats a fair enough attitude, but if thats the reason...tell it like it is...I can honestly understand it.

What does look awful is when a goal goes in on the Lepp end, especially when you watch the highlights back on the telly....totally denuded...its insipid...

I would have that as a cheaper "standing" area for Owls fans, but history would soon put a stop to that..although we have had to do it at The Lane...same entry and egress for the most part

33 minutes ago, archieswfc said:

I've got to say, SAG's tactics are working a treat. We're getting pushed out of our home and it'll end up being our own idea. 

Fu.ck SAG

Fu.ck SYP

Fu.ck the modern "purpose built" (whatever that means) souless sh1tty new stadiums. 

Amen Brother .

Hit the nail on the head 

2 minutes ago, siowls said:

I hate to say this but wherever you put a circa 40k capacity stadium, there's going to be travel disruption. Unfortunately Meadowhall has by far the best transport links in the city - that's just a fact. Not just for us but for visiting supporters.

Pros: Train. Tram. Motorway. Plenty of parking. Food and entertainment. Car wouldn't get smashed up during game.

Cons: Driving round endlessly looking for parking is part of the match day experience. You'd be butt-hurt about it.

Where is the plenty of parking?  If you're saying Meadowhall, then where are the shoppers going to park?

You're suggestion causes far more probems that it solves.

You can park easily anywhere above the Horse and Jockey even on the busiest of matchdays.  it's a 15 minute walk from the ground.

No thanks, I love Hillsborough, don't want a bowl in an industrial estate like Derby, Wigan etc. There's a lot of soul and tradition being lost in football. Just redevelop the West n North like the vid. We will get big crowds if we start doing really well like the early 90s.There are many positives hence why we got the Euros. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Sham67 said:

Where is the plenty of parking?  If you're saying Meadowhall, then where are the shoppers going to park?

You're suggestion causes far more probems that it solves.

You can park easily anywhere above the Horse and Jockey even on the busiest of matchdays.  it's a 15 minute walk from the ground.

You’d think if they did build a stadium down there, they’d add a few car parks.

Existing car parks - Arena, Ice Sheffield, Centertainment, Local Businesses, Meadowhall overflow. 

You simply cannot seriously suggest that the parking situation is better in Hillsborough.

1 minute ago, siowls said:

You’d think if they did build a stadium down there, they’d add a few car parks.

Existing car parks - Arena, Ice Sheffield, Centertainment, Local Businesses, Meadowhall overflow. 

You simply cannot seriously suggest that the parking situation is better in Hillsborough.

Yea..but you could formulate an argument that the parking is adequate, and maybe could be improved without f.ookin' upping sticks.

Then again..We are top of the league and playing quite well..So i suppose the we have to have summat to complain about

6 hours ago, S1Owl said:

No thanks, I love Hillsborough, don't want a bowl in an industrial estate like Derby, Wigan etc. There's a lot of soul and tradition being lost in football. Just redevelop the West n North like the vid. We will get big crowds if we start doing really well like the early 90s.There are many positives hence why we got the Euros. 

What he said.

What a sad, depressing day it'll be when Wednesday play our first game in Sheffield's Ricoh/StMarys/JJB/ReebokStadium, just so we can rebound to and from the Premiership every season.

Life's too short. And beautiful gounds like ours are too sparce nowadays.

Enjoy it while it lasts.

Guest LondonOwl313
1 hour ago, Mycroft said:

DC has said that once we are in the Prem we won't be there to make up the numbers.  A 45000+ ground would be feasible in the Prem.

United will easily fill their ground  this season.  

The untapped potential in South Yorkshire is massive get a club pushing around the top six and the fans will come.  

Us challenging for top 6 premier league in this day and age is a complete pipe dream though. The big 3 used to be Man Utd, Arsenal, Liverpool... then Abramovich came along and pumped money into Chelsea and bought all the best players for a couple of seasons, spending probably £200m or so in the process. Then it became the big 4. The the arabs came along and pumped money into Man City, bought all the best players for a couple of seasons, spending probably £1bn or so in the process. Then it became the top 6... with Spurs joining them by being really astute in the transfer market and selling their best players for big money, picking up players like Eriksen and Ali on the cheap and striking gold with Kane coming through the academy. 

The circumstances at Spurs are pretty unique really.. all of the others are there because they have money from billionaires or are in the Champions League most seasons. And even now Spurs have established themselves as a Champions League team, so they're kind of cementing the financial gap between themselves and 7th or lower. I know Leicester managed it for one season in 2016 but that was a one off.. probably comes around every 20-30 years where all of the top teams have an off season at the same time.

DC can say what he wants but pretty sure he doesn't have the money to make us competitive at that level. How much money would Wednesday or anyone else need to spend to get a squad capable of challenging the top 6? You're talking billions now as the bar has been raised so far financially over the last decade. Even if we had the money there's no guarantees.. Man Utd are struggling to sign top class players despite having money and prestige which we will never have.

Sorry to be a pessimist, but if everything goes right for us we can become a solid mid table team. That has to be the objective

2 hours ago, crag the owl said:

Buy Sheffield arena, it’s losing all the big gigs to Leeds anyhow. Build a 45,000 arena stadium (Veltins/smaller millennium) on the land. Could even take over all the gigs for extra income.

Job done.

I would do this but keep the capacity down around 35k with a view to extending it to 40/45k