New stadium

55 minutes ago, edinburghowl said:

There is no room for sentiment in football. If the club wants to really progress then a new stadium with Premier League facilities and with improved revenue generating capability is definitely needed. And it’s not just the stadium infrastructure that needs money spent on it either. The Prem has moved on a lot since the 90s and our ground hasn’t. Where they money comes from is the question 

I agree with the need to upgrade facilities but it is not a be all and end all. Bournemouth are becoming an established PL club with an 11K capacity. Burnley are an established PL club and play in a shed compared to Hillsborough, some of the access areas are Selhurst Park, Vicarage Road and segregation at the sty leave a lot to be desired. 

39 minutes ago, Sham67 said:

It's built on a dual carriageway that runs all the way to the M1.  Is close to a tram route.  Which location do you suggest that meets your criteria better than Hillsborough.

The ground's location is similar to Anfield.  Why didn't Liverpool feel the need to move?

Liverpool tried for years to move, they even had planning permission on a new ground in the park submitted. Then the bottom fell out of terrace houses in Liverpool, the council were selling them off for £1 and knocking them down and Everton backed out of the plan to ground share.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, sw1867 said:

This subject has been debated many times before and probably will be in the future.

Hillsborough is our home and under no circumstances should we leave. On too many occasions tradition is tossed aside in the name of progress.

I agree Hillsborough is in desperate need of updating but I’d hate to go anywhere else.

Agree with much of that but it is an inevitabllity that at some stage we have to move to a new stadium. 

It is not just that our stadium is old and has antiquated infrastructure/sytems and new fan safety measures are crippling us but road access and parking is a big issue.

To bring Hillsborough in to the 21st century would be very costly but still wouldn't solve easy access and parking issues. 

At some stage we will have to accept a move for the greater good even at the expense of tradition.

2 minutes ago, owler66 said:

Didn't we buy the land on the presto tools site on Penistone Road there could be possibilities of building a new stadium around there 

No and I'm not sure the plot is large enough to accommodate a football stadium.  I think that most advocating a relocation underestimate the amount of land required.

1 hour ago, paddyowl said:

Totally agree.

SYP don't want us around any more, in fact that's been the case since April 1989.

Been having a think about this..

A lot of anti-SYP/SAG posting of late. I take it that it’s in relation to the closure of the Leppings Lane entrance/exits for Home fans on Saturday?

Am I right in thinking that SYP admitted to making mistakes during the derby last season?

In order to truly learn from this and move forward, they get an independent person who is an expert in match day crowd management to conduct a report. The expert delivers his findings which SYP pass on to SAG and SWFC. Surely this is showing SYP as taking positive action to learn from mistakes and improve upon Policing matches in future? Shouldn’t this be welcomed rather than criticised?  Once the report was received from the expert,If they had gone against or ignored the recommendations of the expert wouldn’t that have left them wide open?

What evidence do you have that SYP don’t want us around any more? 

Genuinely interested in people’s views on this? Does it have substance or is it just that some find it enjoyable to criticise SYP?

Edited by Tudders

7 hours ago, Stoop said:

I’d love to move

New stadium should be bigger not smaller. When we eventually get back to the PL we won’t be able to move for the day trippers and tourists. 45k should do it

No way would we get anything close to 45k fans on a regular basis.

At least not after the novelty of the new ground went.

We're not nearly as big as we think we are, particularly where our (home) support is concerned.

33 minutes ago, sonofbert2 said:

Sure we (Aldridge) bought some houses on Vere Road under MM?

I think we've owned some on there for a number of years.  They we're signed over to Aldridge when he loaned money to the club during MM's ownership.  Not sure if they came back under the clubs /DC's ownership when DC bought the club.

• Thanks 1

Any renovation of Hillsborough will for sure have SAG getting their grubby hands in it, they will drive costs through the roof to make sure the updated stadium meets their impossibly high standards

2 minutes ago, 1867owl said:

We're not nearly as big as we think we are, particularly where our (home) support is concerned.

I think we would. PL is so different to when we were last there.  West Ham used to get 35,000 at Upton Park but now get 60,000. I know that's in London  but even so, we would sell 30,000 plus season tickets and with PL money our POTD prices could be lower, we would average 40,000 at least. Yesterday despite high prices, SAG rules, no manager, no big money signings, Bruce kicking us in the teeth, 20 years of mostly rubbish, and people still on holiday we had the 4th Highest crowd of the day in the British Isles ! And In the second division !

24 minutes ago, LondonOwl313 said:

We shouldn't move... too much tradition. Also, it doesn't even make sense from a financial standpoint. Look at any of the other clubs that have moved grounds in the last 20 years... Man City, West Ham, Derby, Leicester, Spurs, Arsenal.. all of them have moved to bigger capacity stadiums which in itself generates more revenue which helps cover the cost of construction. We have a stadium which we already don't fill playing at our level.

Unfortunately with the way the game has gone, we'll never be competing at the top of the prem anymore as the big 6 are too far in front. The best we could hope for is to get promoted then finish 9-12th competing with the likes of Leicester, Wolves, West Ham, Aston Villa and Newcastle, and having the odd cup run. That's our level really, and even that's ambitious from where we are now. The flip side to that is that it's almost impossible to maintain that level year after year, it would be inevitable that we'd have the odd bad season thrown in and we could then well end up back in the Championship, as all of those teams have suffered relegations in recent years.

So what capacity ground should we have... think it would be possible for us to get 50,000 at home to Man Utd with the right pricing, 10,000 away fans and 40,000 home fans. But these games are rare. We'd then more than likely end up being relegated and having a stadium that's 40% full at home to Luton in the Championship.

Also, it's not like DC has an unlimited amount of money to throw at it. He's already sunk in £100m and the guy isn't a billionaire. Doubt he wants the expense of building a new stadium. We could re-build the ground stand by stand and leave it with a slightly increased capacity but vastly improve the facilities.. but that's just not necessary until we're promoted and stay up for a year or two. Moving locations to build a similar sized stadium just wouldn't be worth it financially.

DC has said that once we are in the Prem we won't be there to make up the numbers.  A 45000+ ground would be feasible in the Prem.

United will easily fill their ground  this season.  

The untapped potential in South Yorkshire is massive get a club pushing around the top six and the fans will come.  

6 minutes ago, Tudders said:

Been having a think about this..

A lot of anti-SYP/SAG posting of late. I take it that it’s in relation to the closure of the Leppings Lane entrance/exits for Home fans on Saturday?

Am I right in thinking that SYP admitted to making mistakes during the derby last season?

In order to truly learn from this and move forward, they get an independent person who is an expert in match day crowd management to conduct a report. The expert delivers his findings which SYP pass on to SAG and SWFC. Surely this is showing SYP as taking positive action to learn from mistakes and improve upon Policing matches in future? Shouldn’t this be welcomed rather than criticised?  Once the report was received from the expert,If they had gone against or ignored the recommendations of the expert wouldn’t that have left them wide open?

What evidence do you have that SYP don’t want us around any more? 

Genuinely interested in people’s views on this? Does it have substance or is it just that some find it enjoyable to criticise SYP?

I think that as an institution SYP were found culpable on that awful day and the scar is still open which rebounds back on the club, just my opinion which I'm entitled too, their attitude towards policing football in sheffied is one of over compensating and going overboard. 

12 minutes ago, 1867owl said:

Derby and Leicester support grew massively after moving into a new ground which they have maintained 

38 minutes ago, Sham67 said:

Please feel free to show us a vacant plot of suitable size.  Not sure about you claim for better transport links.  I for one definitely wouldn't like to try to get to J34 after a match on a Saturday afternoon.  Also don't think it's a good idea to dislocate the club from the majority of the fan base.

Not an expert, but a quick look on google shows plenty of brownfield and green space to build a stadium on. Train, Tram and Motorway links too.

P.S. Sozard for being sensible about it like.

Edited by siowls