New stadium

18 minutes ago, james o connor said:

Fact is , if we want to push in as a sustainable business , we have to adapt. A dilapidated ground on a speck of land next to a river in a city suburb worm do that. Needs to generate revenue all week and have excellent transport links. Hillsborough won’t ever have either 

It's built on a dual carriageway that runs all the way to the M1.  Is close to a tram route.  Which location do you suggest that meets your criteria better than Hillsborough.

7 minutes ago, Matthew Thomas said:

Got to throw my hat in the ring for a move too. The stadium is not located in the best place for redevelopment, with the lack of parking and lack of room to build modern facilities. I think it is clear Hillsborough is in its last years now, and those who love the ground and location have to concede we’ve moved around the district so much before it’s not really a huge break in tradition to move again.

The ground's location is similar to Anfield.  Why didn't Liverpool feel the need to move?

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Sham67 said:

It's built on a dual carriageway that runs all the way to the M1.  Is close to a tram route.  Which location do you suggest that meets your criteria better than Hillsborough.

The ground's location is similar to Anfield.  Why didn't Liverpool feel the need to move?

They bougtht all the houses in the surrounding streets, demolished them and expanded.

In comparison it would mean demolishing Vere Road, Fielding Road and half the houses on Leppings Lane.

2 minutes ago, jamthesun said:

I have some mates who are Tottenham fans. They were telling me about their new stadium. Apparently under the stands are huge bars which stay open after matches and have bands playing. Great way to generate more income and keep fans engaged.

I’m not saying we should be aiming to copy Spurs ground but a new site with good transport links creates lots of opportunity.

Yep. My mate was there last Sunday. Massive Spurs fan.

Blown away by the fact that he waited nano seconds for his pints, his curry meal before the match and the the comfort and space.

He sent me pictures during and one was of huge escalators in some sort of atrium. I said it looks more like Brent’s Cross and he agreed.

Did he enjoy the day out ? Yes

Did he enjoy it as a football experience? No not at all.

Do West Ham fans feel happy with how it turned out for them ?

Will the new generation of fans feel the genuine love and loyalty to a club through this sanitised matchday experience?

Be careful what you wish for

• Thanks 1

Moving stadium is like changing all the members of a band and calling it the same thing because all that's left are the fans of that group . The players are turned over regularly the only constant is the fans and the stadium , remove the stadium and we are just a random name with thousands that follow it . Sorry but f@@k that . History is history good and bad in all walks of life and all people . Make it like the plans for the world cup , great , move from hillsborough , nah . 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Rodger Wylde said:

They bougtht all the houses in the surrounding streets, demolished them and expanded.

In comparison it would mean demolishing Vere Road, Fielding Road and half the houses on Leppings Lane.

I can only see the need to demolish the side of Vere Road contiguous to the ground and the 4 properties on LL. 

1 minute ago, Rodger Wylde said:

Sounds like a plan , all the houses opposite and around bassetts are long since gone . We only need the first road , should be a tenner WTF: . Problem would be the council , police would stop it in its tracks . 

4 minutes ago, Ibbo48 said:

Yep. My mate was there last Sunday. Massive Spurs fan.

Blown away by the fact that he waited nano seconds for his pints, his curry meal before the match and the the comfort and space.

He sent me pictures during and one was of huge escalators in some sort of atrium. I said it looks more like Brent’s Cross and he agreed.

Did he enjoy the day out ? Yes

Did he enjoy it as a football experience? No not at all.

Do West Ham fans feel happy with how it turned out for them ?

Will the new generation of fans feel the genuine love and loyalty to a club through this sanitised matchday experience?

Be careful what you wish for

People dont want to wait for anything these days and want to be pandered to at all times . No one went on and on about the match day experience in the eighties or nineties and before , you turned up to watch your team hopefully demolish the opposition , have a laugh with your mates and err , that's it . Obviously I am a minority and I dont mind  but the only experience I want is three points and a laugh , bands and other gimmicky b011@x you can keep . 

• Thanks 3

2 minutes ago, cross owl said:

People dont want to wait for anything these days and want to be pandered to at all times . No one went on and on about the match day experience in the eighties or nineties and before , you turned up to watch your team hopefully demolish the opposition , have a laugh with your mates and err , that's it . Obviously I am a minority and I dont mind  but the only experience I want is three points and a laugh , bands and other gimmicky b011@x you can keep . 

I'm exactly the same mate, but if it generates a significant amount of extra revenue.  That can't be a bad thing, right?

24 minutes ago, Sham67 said:

I’m going to jump in and say anywhere around Don Valley up to Tinsley.

Better Transport links and much more space to develop a stadium. 

Just now, Sham67 said:

I'm exactly the same mate, but if it generates a significant amount of extra revenue.  That can't be a bad thing, right?

I'd rather be championship forever than premiership in a sanitised glorified centertainment with a pitch . I go to watch wednesday play , personally I couldn't careless who we play , apart from the obvious teams . When we play well and the ball hits the back of the net and we all erupt , is the feeling any different if its man u or Luton . 

23 minutes ago, Sham67 said:

Moving is about better facilities, better access, less maintenance, and more commercial outlets / possibilities. 

Im sure Anfield has had money continuously spent on it, the club don’t have local services working against them and they make a load of cash from commercial activities. 

23 minutes ago, jamthesun said:

I have some mates who are Tottenham fans. They were telling me about their new stadium. Apparently under the stands are huge bars which stay open after matches and have bands playing. Great way to generate more income and keep fans engaged.

I’m not saying we should be aiming to copy Spurs ground but a new site with good transport links creates lots of opportunity.

From what I’ve seen of Spurs new stadium, it does look the best of the new grounds, with one end curving upwards, not unlike our old Kop. 

Totally disagree with the OP though about building a smaller capacity. If we end up in the PL, 45-50K is what’s needed. We should comfortably average 40k, such is the PL nowadays and with our catchment area. Building a smaller capacity is just throwing away future reoccurring revenues, to save on initial development costs, and would be incredibly short-sighted.

Personally rather stay at Hillsborough and develop along the lines of the WC plans, but doubt it’ll happen.

23 minutes ago, alanharper said:

"Prone to flooding" = it flooded once in more than 120 years due to freak weather conditions never seen before or since, and further flood defence measures have been implemented since then. 

That one incident is enough to put insurance premiums up significantly and would be taken into account when proposing to sell the land - the price would be significantly reduced as a result of this. 

If your house has flooded once in the last 120 years this will be a significant factor if you try to sell it.

The best proposal short-term for me would be to buy all the houses behind the North Stand and redevelop the Leppings Lane end, this is obviously something that has been considered in the past as some of the houses were purchased. 

1 minute ago, siowls said:

I’m going to jump in and say anywhere around Don Valley up to Tinsley.

Better Transport links and much more space to develop a stadium. 

Please feel free to show us a vacant plot of suitable size.  Not sure about you claim for better transport links.  I for one definitely wouldn't like to try to get to J34 after a match on a Saturday afternoon.  Also don't think it's a good idea to dislocate the club from the majority of the fan base.

Guest LondonOwl313

We shouldn't move... too much tradition. Also, it doesn't even make sense from a financial standpoint. Look at any of the other clubs that have moved grounds in the last 20 years... Man City, West Ham, Derby, Leicester, Spurs, Arsenal.. all of them have moved to bigger capacity stadiums which in itself generates more revenue which helps cover the cost of construction. We have a stadium which we already don't fill playing at our level.

Unfortunately with the way the game has gone, we'll never be competing at the top of the prem anymore as the big 6 are too far in front. The best we could hope for is to get promoted then finish 9-12th competing with the likes of Leicester, Wolves, West Ham, Aston Villa and Newcastle, and having the odd cup run. That's our level really, and even that's ambitious from where we are now. The flip side to that is that it's almost impossible to maintain that level year after year, it would be inevitable that we'd have the odd bad season thrown in and we could then well end up back in the Championship, as all of those teams have suffered relegations in recent years.

So what capacity ground should we have... think it would be possible for us to get 50,000 at home to Man Utd with the right pricing, 10,000 away fans and 40,000 home fans. But these games are rare. We'd then more than likely end up being relegated and having a stadium that's 40% full at home to Luton in the Championship.

Also, it's not like DC has an unlimited amount of money to throw at it. He's already sunk in £100m and the guy isn't a billionaire. Doubt he wants the expense of building a new stadium. We could re-build the ground stand by stand and leave it with a slightly increased capacity but vastly improve the facilities.. but that's just not necessary until we're promoted and stay up for a year or two. Moving locations to build a similar sized stadium just wouldn't be worth it financially.

What is certain is that if or when we get in to the PL Hillsborough will need substantial money spending on it to make it safe and suitable for the bigger numbers of both home and away fans who will come to the ground. I feel sure that the club will have already got an idea of just what the cost will be as well the timescales to achieve it. As for the bigger decisions of whether a major redevelopment of Hillsborough or a brand new stadium will go ahead is anybody’s guess. Major redevelopment of Hillsborough will be potentially as expensive as a new stadium and it could easily be more problematic in getting planning permission for it than a new stadium.

If we really are the sleeping giant awakening we can’t duck the issue of what to do about our ground. It simply isn’t fit for purpose anymore. Love it as I have for over 40 years if the decision is to build on a new site  I will still go to as many games as I can. Until then the club have got to decide what to do to with it. As little as most of us think of SAG, SYP and City Council they have the whip hand and we can’t just ignore them.