New stadium

There is no room for sentiment in football. If the club wants to really progress then a new stadium with Premier League facilities and with improved revenue generating capability is definitely needed. And it’s not just the stadium infrastructure that needs money spent on it either. The Prem has moved on a lot since the 90s and our ground hasn’t. Where they money comes from is the question 

Ive come round to it now and I think for the club to truly move on both financially and reputationally we should move.

The future is of purpose built multi sport/ entertainment venues, Tottenham they have built a stadium capable of many things and will reap the benefits long term. Ours will not be on that scale but being somewhere where other sports and outdoor concerts can be held will benefit us longer term

• Like 1

None of us can really be sure about the economics but obviously Hillsborough leaks cost and is poor at revenue generation. So it wouldn't be surprising if a case can be made and if so I'd not be opposed, even though a new ground would be less accessible for me (Hillsborough is surprisingly easy from the Hope Valley). 

its probably SYP that need to move on..We have.

The name Hillsborough is a stain on their  "reputation" that they would like to see expunged...

We can't take flags in, no way will we ever be allowed to stand at the ground...You can't go where you want when you leave the ground..it is past f.ooking ridiculous

I have no complaints about being treated like every other football fan...Ive had worse, but Wednesday and Wednesday fans are now being discriminated against

• Thanks 1

I think when we get promoted, I expect that Chansiri will have a look at options on whether to renovate the current ground or move. I’m more receptive to staying but there are a lot of issues to consider given SAG/SYP and the surrounding area of the ground. 

Something needs to be done tho!

Got to throw my hat in the ring for a move too. The stadium is not located in the best place for redevelopment, with the lack of parking and lack of room to build modern facilities. I think it is clear Hillsborough is in its last years now, and those who love the ground and location have to concede we’ve moved around the district so much before it’s not really a huge break in tradition to move again.

I have some mates who are Tottenham fans. They were telling me about their new stadium. Apparently under the stands are huge bars which stay open after matches and have bands playing. Great way to generate more income and keep fans engaged.

I’m not saying we should be aiming to copy Spurs ground but a new site with good transport links creates lots of opportunity.

8 minutes ago, pazowl55 said:

Any idea of a new ground is a pipe dream until we are an established Premier League club.

While I think this is probably realistic, we don't own the ground now.

Nothing to stop someone building another stadium especially if it also generates other income, maybe those trips to Hollywood Bowl and Universal Studios were research :ph34r:

lol:Chansiri:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, beloved_aunt said:

If Chansiri can’t invest his millions in the team, is it seriously time to think about selling Hillsborough and moving to a new purpose built stadium?

I mean this as a long term investment to put us in a better financial position. 

Before I got shot down in flames please consider the following:

• there was that report a couple of years ago about how many millions more we (and Sheff Utd) have to pay to maintain our older stadiums than the likes of Derby and Leicester. That’s cash going out the window. 
  • other teams with similar or smaller crowds beat us on match day revenue all the time because our systems are antiquated and inefficient 
  • a new stadium would end once and for all our issues with segregation and SAG reports closing down big chunks of the ground and causing turnstile queues 
  • getting a name sponsor at a new ground wouldn’t be as bad as changing the name of Hillsborough and generate income 
  • there are loads of bits we need to upgrade anyway so may as well invest all in one 
  • the land we currently own has got to be worth a fair whack
  • some fans love our traditional stadium but for many many others it’s know for one thing, and it’s a big a disgrace really that Leppings Lane remains virtually the same from 1989
  • we rarely get close to selling out and stick away fans miles from the pitch, we’d have a much better atmosphere with a smaller, tighter ground

Agree with all points except last one. If we got promoted to PL there are lots of fixtures which would attract near to 40,000 and you do not build a ground for an average attendance you build it with a figure in mind you can potential fill when big games come along. Yorkshire also needs a ground if we ever get another international tournament here again and Sheffield is well situated to bring fans in. 

For the record games against United, Leeds, Man Utd, Man City Liverpool, Newcastle, Arsenal, Chelsea, Tottenham and Newcastle would all attract well over 30,000 It is possible some from midlands would too if they were doing well. 

If you have sell out each week only way to generate more revenue is to put price up, a larger stadium allows more fans to watch at a more reasonable price.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, MalagaOwl said:

It's possible to renovate without moving. Look at molineux, yeah that was done in bits over a long period. But it's a great stadium that's retained its old feel

Twickenham was rebuilt in situe nothing to stop the leppings lane end from bring totally rebuilt and engineering solutions applied  to increase safety in the ground and on entry and exit

41 minutes ago, Fast Forward said:

'The land we currently own has got to be worth a fair whack'.

Not necessarily - it's prone to flooding and probably not suitable for housing without major flood defence costs.

"Prone to flooding" = it flooded once in more than 120 years due to freak weather conditions never seen before or since, and further flood defence measures have been implemented since then.