New stadium

12 minutes ago, billyblack said:

I didn't say they were frightened of going to Hillsborough anywhere.

The disaster isn't allowed to go away, ask many people, not necessarily football people, just people in general first thing that comes into their mind about Hillsboro, its not the football.

Maybe when our generation has gone, so another 30 years we (the club) may be able to move on. 

In fairness, i don't think the disaster should ever be forgotten about.  But i don't think it's affected Wednesday seriously since, albeit i do think there is some OTT segregation that goes on. 

Definitely need to re-develop S6, particularly the LL so that we're actually allowed to see all our seats in the stadium when needed. 

I'd love the club to re-develop the stadium and make it more efficient to run. I don't how realistic that is though, particularly with the lack of space around it. 

4 minutes ago, sonofbert2 said:

We should have knocked down and rebuilt the West Stand with a truly appropriate memorial to those who died included and it could/should have been at the very least part-funded.

It wants doing now.

Its alright people saying “spend it on players instead” 

Weve been kicking this particular can down the road for 30 years and it’s led us to this.

Edited by NYCOWL

1 minute ago, sherlyegg said:

Drive through coffee shop, mcdonalds.

As we know, no foooker under 30 can go without for more than 25 mins.

lol

Coffee shop, blargh........Mcds, more like it. Nugget fest after a goal fest. 

2600.gif

On ‎11‎/‎08‎/‎2019 at 12:15, jamthesun said:

I have some mates who are Tottenham fans. They were telling me about their new stadium. Apparently under the stands are huge bars which stay open after matches and have bands playing. Great way to generate more income and keep fans engaged.

I’m not saying we should be aiming to copy Spurs ground but a new site with good transport links creates lots of opportunity.

Yeah, but its not Hillsborough, 'why on earth would we want to do that?', scream the hordes

8 minutes ago, NYCOWL said:

Also, how many football Championship clubs can you name that aren’t reliant on their owners pockets?

probably a few If I could be bothered to check, why don't you check

in fact don't, im ending this conversation here

I will always want to stay at Hillsborough its not just the history its the surrounding community built on Sheffield Wednesday being in Hillsborough, the pubs, cafes shops etc etc, the area of Hillsborough is struggling at the moment and loosing the ground and club would be a death nail 

Whats to stop us redeveloping where we are with some simple planning more bridges over penistone road and the river would provide more access, move turnstiles to the entrance of bridges, why not make it unique 

done properly with busses and trams we could easily cope with transport issues 

On 11/08/2019 at 12:00, MalagaOwl said:

It's possible to renovate without moving. Look at molineux, yeah that was done in bits over a long period. But it's a great stadium that's retained its old feel

Agree with this. No need to move but upgrades to the Hillsborough need to be made, in particular knocking down Leppings Lane and closing that chapter. Buying the Wednesydayite land or the space next to it and building a new car park would be a simple development. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, S36 OWL said:

Bridge over the Don onto Middlewood rd .

As a resident of WPV, I would love this, might save 5 mins getting to Sainsbury's.  Wouldn't want to be stuck in matchday traffic on it.

1 minute ago, Sham67 said:

As a resident of WPV, I would love this, might save 5 mins getting to Sainsbury's.  Wouldn't want to be stuck in matchday traffic on it.

Do  you suffer with matchday parking up there ? 

6 hours ago, billyblack said:

But thats the problem. Our association is with a disaster a generation ago and is set to remain.

Redevelop it and change the name to owlerton if needs be. It's time to let it go. It's starting to get pathetic how long this is dragging on for. The disaster was a combination of many things and circumstances on the day. Let it go, move on and let the 96 RIP. Us moving ground won't change a thing or bring anyone back. 

Edited by archieswfc

Just now, S36 OWL said:

Do  you suffer with matchday parking up there ? 

No mate, you'd never know there was a match.  Wadsley above the Jockey is the same.  Can never understand why people complain about parking.  Not that I'm advocating parking in the 'village'. 

1 hour ago, jamthesun said:

Not the same with my mates. What was his issue with the football experience?

I’m seeking clarification from him as we speak.

Like me he’s a bit of a traditionalist.

The longer a place has been part of your life the more attached you are to it.

Of course social media is full of younger people who say f**k tradition and sentimentality, there’s no place for it in modern football. 

Its the same mentality that pervades life in general and if you think that makes the world a better place then fine. 

Personally I don’t.

Fully agree and do a Spurs.
Have to be serious and think a ground-share with United. It used to be our ground anyway, and aside from hating them, it would be naive not to try and get a share with them, great location, no real change for travelling fans etc and we already play alternate weekends. Can't see being any real fuss about it, it's a building after all!

Come back to a beautiful upgrade, same name or something including the word Hillsborough (Hillsborough Park Stadium?). Enough good press and upgrades will slowly help the 89' issues fade away.

1 hour ago, billyblack said:

It may do.

Would it remove the stigma of the Hillsborough disaster?

Would it encourage new business suitors to invest in Hillsborough to bring new revenue streams in?

Would the changes the ground allow the club to be more profitable?

I have no doubt that 99% of Wednesday fans would like to stay at Hillsborough, would it give us the necessary tools to move the club forward substantially, I doubt it.

I don't of many clubs if any who regret moving to a new stadium from a business perspective, only one I can think of is Coventry FC and that whole thing is a disgrace in my opinion top to bottom.

The game has changed and while history and nostalgia are great, they don't pay the bills. 

Hence why I asked if football was now all about making money- with no room for tradition or sentiment.

If we move to a new ground and are still in the championship will we still report big losses each year? Most likely yes. 

33 minutes ago, NYCOWL said:

This “disaster is hurting the club” bòllocks is classic Owlstalk.

I don’t know a single Wednesdayite who thinks like that.

Or a single football fan other than Liverpool supporters. Most fans of other clubs agree it's time to let it go and respect the innocent who passed.