1 hour ago, southportdc said:

UEFA haven't said they have to complete seasons, because that's not within their gift. They've advised that should be done wherever feasible.

They have said next season's European places must be based on 'sporting merit' from this season/part season. So we can't just enter last year's teams again, as some suggested before UEFA stepped in.

France are fine within those rules, because their places will be based on a partially completed league standing.

Belgium and the Netherlands who (I think) voided the season are in a trickier position. 

I think Netherlands and Belgium are doing qualification based on league position when the season was ended.  Certainly Belgium have handed out the title and Netherlands announced top two would get the UCL spots.

9 minutes ago, SiJ said:

Yeah, good luck with that one with Rick.

The idea the season gets completed is complete fantasy imo.

The way things are going, next season might be a write off too. 

I read today that if things haven't changed by August that clubs will be similar to the airlines ie fooked. That was from a PL chairman, not someone from the lower leagues.

The thing I don't understand amongst this clamour to restart is why?  What income will there be for teams?  OK EPL might manage on TV deals (but I can see Sky subscriptions taking a long time to return to previous levels).  Who wants to watch football in empty stadiums?  Then lower down teams rely solely on match day income, so how are EFL teams going to afford to play in empty stadiums? If teams are already needing 25-50% of their income from match days, how is next season going to be viable?  Are you looking at anyone who's contract runs out in June not being able to find a new club (thus probably 20% of all players out of work)?  It will be teams full of youth players, who wants to watch that?  What does watching a game even look like?  How does my paid for season ticket work?

Nobody seems to be even asking these questions, far less answering them.  All they keep talking about is a date to restart then playing behind closed doors next year.

^ great post that Matti

Read an article about the CEO of Tesco the other day. They did an exercise last year on how the company would cope if their head office was inaccessible for whatever reason, so they had plans already in place to deal with this crisis when the shít hit the fan and were able to deal with it relatively easily.  

It’s crazy to think that football had absolutely no contingency measures in place just in case a season wasn’t able to be completed for whatever reason, especially when you consider the amounts of money involved

1 hour ago, mattitheowl said:

I think Netherlands and Belgium are doing qualification based on league position when the season was ended.  Certainly Belgium have handed out the title and Netherlands announced top two would get the UCL spots.

The thing I don't understand amongst this clamour to restart is why?  What income will there be for teams?  OK EPL might manage on TV deals (but I can see Sky subscriptions taking a long time to return to previous levels).  Who wants to watch football in empty stadiums?  Then lower down teams rely solely on match day income, so how are EFL teams going to afford to play in empty stadiums? If teams are already needing 25-50% of their income from match days, how is next season going to be viable?  Are you looking at anyone who's contract runs out in June not being able to find a new club (thus probably 20% of all players out of work)?  It will be teams full of youth players, who wants to watch that?  What does watching a game even look like?  How does my paid for season ticket work?

Nobody seems to be even asking these questions, far less answering them.  All they keep talking about is a date to restart then playing behind closed doors next year.

Thing is about sky is you can’t cancel just the football. I would if I could but I keep it for cricket, golf etc 

Don’t even watch MOTD anymore.

I watch Wednesdays highlights (😂) that’s about it

Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, sweetsheri said:

Thing is about sky is you can’t cancel just the football. I would if I could but I keep it for cricket, golf etc 

I have and only watch the cricket and Wednesday. Can't justify paying into that system anymore. 

fizz um. 

Edited by Maddogbob
1 hour ago, beswetherick said:

Sausage fingers hindered my previous reply!

So, in effect that means that FAs have the choice between either finishing this season and cooking up some method of working out the final league standings without the full season being played. 

Finishing the season is looking more and more complex by the day, and the situation is obviously different in all the different countries whose clubs are eligible for the CL/EL. Coordinating that would be a nightmare if the competitions are to run as normal with preliminary rounds etc. 

The other option is to come up with a final league table when the season hasn’t been completed. It’s difficult to imagine how that doesn’t result in endless controversy and litigation... for the national FAs of course, UEFA don’t give a tóss as long as the money keeps rolling in from Gazprom and Heineken 

Essentially yes - finishing the season looks more and more difficult for various logistical and contractual reasons (and PR - 'how can the PL demand testing for all its players when nurses aren't being tested' etc.), so UEFA are basically saying work out a way to count this part season. 

That will probably result in litigation from any relegated teams or (more likely) teams not promoted. But if UEFA stick to their line that refusing to count this season results in foregone European places, the PL would be in trouble with Liverpool, Spurs, Chelsea etc. - actual member clubs with way more clout than Leeds or WBA - if they void it. Given the choice of the two options, you'd have to assume they look after the shareholder clubs with money rather than EFL clubs. 

1 hour ago, mattitheowl said:

Didn't realise Belgium had crowned Club Brugge.

The Netherlands thing is an option here. End the season, hand out European places but void the title and relegation.

It would be an incredibly petty move given Liverpool are 24 points clear or whatever... but funny. 

20 minutes ago, sweetsheri said:

Is there much of that on?

6 minutes ago, southportdc said:

The Netherlands thing is an option here. End the season, hand out European places but void the title and relegation.

It would be an incredibly petty move given Liverpool are 24 points clear or whatever... but funny. 

I hate Liverpool but even I would give them the title (well I wouldn't just to watch half the city self immolate).  

But you just know that the Blunts would be in court claiming they should be in the Champions league on the % of red in their kit or something.

20 minutes ago, southportdc said:

From an allocation point of view, the Premier League has it fairly easy, as does Spain, Germany and Italy.

Six of the Premier League's seven European spots are automatically in the group stage. Putting Man City's ban aside it's just a case of figuring out who finishes 7th as they would have to start in the qualification rounds.

1 hour ago, Maddogbob said:

I have and only watch the cricket and Wednesday. Can't justify paying into that system anymore. 

fizz um. 

Didn’t know you could cancel football? How’s that work? 

12 minutes ago, sweetsheri said:

Didn’t know you could cancel football? How’s that work? 

I cancelled all of it mate. I just can't justify it anymore. 

You can pause your Sports payments but you still receive whatever sport is still being shown.

1 hour ago, sweetsheri said:

Dodgy box is good quality just a bit delayed. Sorry if not allowed to post on here admin. Remove if so. I’ve stopped watching MOTD too, since our neighbours feature now, sick to death of seeing the wankfest from Lineker and co. I know, I’m bitter and should know better at my age. 

1 hour ago, Putney said:

From an allocation point of view, the Premier League has it fairly easy, as does Spain, Germany and Italy.

Six of the Premier League's seven European spots are automatically in the group stage. Putting Man City's ban aside it's just a case of figuring out who finishes 7th as they would have to start in the qualification rounds.

But who plays in which competition, that's up for grabs, as are complaints / legal action from teams that may have qualified but haven't

unless UEFA change to qualification criteria to teams being invited into the competition which has been touted

I would assume that legal action by any team would mean that any competition cant be started next season until any legal action has been resolved

We all said the bubble would one day burst...albeit i doubt many saw the bubble getting burst by a global pandemic.

Talk of even PL clubs going to the wall if the situation isn't rectified by August.

3 hours ago, The only way is S6 said:

Gordon Taylor suggests halves of games could be less than 45 minutes!

PL says that’s not on the table :biggrin:

Top work that Gordon after 7 weeks.

Really earning that £2.2m salary with that contribution. 

7 hours ago, SiJ said:

We all said the bubble would one day burst...albeit i doubt many saw the bubble getting burst by a global pandemic.

Talk of even PL clubs going to the wall if the situation isn't rectified by August.

No sympathy at all  for premier league clubs, they made their bed and loved money. So lay in bed you made.

6 hours ago, TINKERBELL said:

No sympathy at all  for premier league clubs, they made their bed and loved money. So lay in bed you made.

Had we gone up against Hull we wouldn’t be saying that or taking that view would we Tinks. It’s a poisonous game but I’d love it to be us getting all that money.