Premier League 2019/20

37 minutes ago, the third man said:

A lot will be sorted today, once the PL say no relegation and 20 teams next season all the other leagues are redundant, and as people have said it will most likely cost more to play games behind closed doors than not play them at all then the league will be abandoned and voided

I don't think the EPL were given quite the steer they were expecting from BoJo. That may come in the additional documents that are being released but until then they may put a final decision on hold.  

4 hours ago, vulva said:

There is no fair way to sort this out. On balance the only real option available is to null and void this season and start the new one when appropriate. 

Which bearing in mind the public health issues is absolutely the correct action...if it wasn't for the pesky £762 million that the clubs have spent and the broadcasters want back!!

As I have said before one solution would be not to allow the premier League teams to spend any cash in the next transfer window, they would then recoup the £762m, they then should be forced to keep some reserves for unknown eventualities.... also would be good for the development of young players... just like Chelsea in their transfer ban

3 hours ago, punkskaphil said:

No we didn't. We finished third from bottom on merit (or lack of it), regardless of what Swindon did in the division below us. And you've contradicted yourself with that second sentence: Sunderland were awarded promotion after Swindon were found guilty - they didn't actually win it on the pitch.

Can't be bothered to check but I think Sunderland finished seventh but lost to Swindon in the playoff final. And there was a precedent for allowing us to stay up (can't remember what it was now and it doesn't really matter).

I stand by my point, which is, Liverpool haven't won anything until ALL games are completed under the original rules.

6 hours ago, 31Dec1966 said:

Can't be bothered to check but I think Sunderland finished seventh but lost to Swindon in the playoff final. And there was a precedent for allowing us to stay up (can't remember what it was now and it doesn't really matter).

I stand by my point, which is, Liverpool haven't won anything until ALL games are completed under the original rules.

Exactly. Sunderland lost the play-off final on the pitch but were still promoted, as a result of unusual circumstances. This is why they could quite easily award Liverpool the Premier League title without them actually completing it because they’re so far ahead of City.

Whether there was a precedent or not for us staying up was irrelevant to the point I was making. We deserved relegation that year, and that’s what we got. In no way did we deserve to stay up.

I actually agree that the current season should be voided, but if they did void it but still awarded Liverpool the title by virtue of their enormous points lead, I wouldn’t care less. Makes no difference to me.

Edited by punkskaphil

Trouble with voiding the season is what happens when you start again and then someone gets covid-19 then. Do you then void that season as well?

Personally, I think football will lose any credibility if the season doesn't finish and if there is no promotion relegation. Might as well just scrap promotion and relegation full stop and have closed competitions like America. If the league has to be played at neutral venues then so be it, can't see the argument of the likes of Brighton when it will be the same for everyone.

I also think it is no surprise that the teams in the lower half of the Premier League table are voting against relegation, as just trying to protect their own interests and not for the greater good. Easy for clubs to say we have an unnamed player who has tested positive and use that to their own means.

Prem clubs face having to repay £340M back to TV companies. 

HA HA HA HA HA HA HA. Gutted for them. There'll be clubs, that spunk £50M+ on poo players, on TV crying about hard done to they are. I'm buzzing that the pigs big season has blown up in their face. It's so sickening for them. 

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, thesouthowl said:

Trouble with voiding the season is what happens when you start again and then someone gets covid-19 then. Do you then void that season as well?

Personally, I think football will lose any credibility if the season doesn't finish and if there is no promotion relegation. Might as well just scrap promotion and relegation full stop and have closed competitions like America. If the league has to be played at neutral venues then so be it, can't see the argument of the likes of Brighton when it will be the same for everyone.

I also think it is no surprise that the teams in the lower half of the Premier League table are voting against relegation, as just trying to protect their own interests and not for the greater good. Easy for clubs to say we have an unnamed player who has tested positive and use that to their own means.

Cos some clubs have more home games left, the season started with the premise of a fair competition meaning playing everyone at home and away. Add in if you had say Chelsea at home and West Ham away and they both go to neutral venues you are at a significant disadvantage in the shake up of your games. 

If the season cannot be finished with the same rules the competition set out then it simply isn't a fair competition and the only options are finishing under the original rules, or null and void. 

The 5 substitutes is a joke for this exact reason, shorten halves is laughable. All for money. 

2 hours ago, SouthStand75 said:

Do clubs still have to pay the money back if the season is completed? As funny as it is, they’re still in the prem next season whilst we scrabble around trying to wiggle out of a points deduction in the Championship. 

Also if Premier League clubs potentially have to pay back money then will clubs in the Football League have to do something similar?

3 minutes ago, rickygoo said:

Tell the French and the Belgians. 

French had something at the start of the season that stated that if the season is abandoned then final placings are taken after a certain point. So all teams were aware at the start of play. 

Not sure on Belgium. 

17 minutes ago, fudge27 said:

French had something at the start of the season that stated that if the season is abandoned then final placings are taken after a certain point. So all teams were aware at the start of play. 

Not sure on Belgium. 

It seems from news reports at least there's a feeling amongst the clubs that simply writing off this season is unfair. They are the best judges of that I reckon.