Premier League 2019/20

On 30/03/2020 at 23:24, southportdc said:

I think this is where I come down on it. It’s only really an issue since Liverpool are so far ahead. If PL was close it’d be voided quickly imo. And the other leagues would fall into line.

I think it’s also an issue the other way. Because people don’t like Liverpool and Leeds they want to stick it to them. If we were top of the Championship I’m fairly sure the broad thrust of views on here would be very different. Understandably so.

For what it’s worth I think they should try to find a way to finish the season. That’s the neatest way of doing it. It’s got fizz all to do with disrespecting dead people. Like many people I’m still working and my industry is coming up with novel ways of carrying on. I don’t feel like I’m besmirching the memories of people who pass away. There’s no reason why football shouldn’t do the same.

I suspect it’ll be down to UEFA in the end. 

Edited by rickygoo

41 minutes ago, rickygoo said:

I think it’s also an issue the other way. Because people don’t like Liverpool and Leeds they want to stick it to them. If we were top of the Championship I’m fairly sure the broad thrust of views on here would be very different. Understandably so.

For what it’s worth I think they should try to find a way to finish the season. That’s the neatest way of doing it. It’s got fizz all to do with disrespecting dead people. Like many people I’m still working and my industry is coming up with novel ways of carrying on. I don’t feel like I’m besmirching the memories of people who pass away. There’s no reason why football shouldn’t do the same.

I suspect it’ll be down to UEFA in the end. 

I agree that people want to see it cancelled because it is bad for Liverpool (and Leeds). But I think almost everyone would like to see the season finished, even if just to get back to normality. 

But I also think that, if finishing the season isn't plausible, it has to be void for me. You can't rightly relegate Bournemouth on goal difference with 9 games remaining. Charlton are only 2 points back as well. Tranmere 3 with a game in hand.

It doesn't sit right with me that these clubs are penalised due to a situation completely out of their control. And I know that Liverpool and the clubs that have already won promotion lower down also feel penalised, but they haven't actually lost anything overall. 

Edited by southportdc

2 minutes ago, southportdc said:

I agree that people want to see it cancelled because it is bad for Liverpool (and Leeds). But I think almost everyone would like to see the season finished, even if just to get back to normality. 

But I also think that, if finishing the season isn't plausible, it has to be void for me. You can't rightly relegate Bournemouth on goal difference with 9 games remaining. Charlton are only 2 points back as well. Tranmere 3 with a game in hand.

It doesn't sit right with me that these clubs are penalised due to a situation completely out of their control. And I know that Liverpool and the clubs that have already won promotion lower down also feel penalised, but they haven't actually lost anything overall. 

I don’t see how they can relegate any teams if they say the season finishes as it is now. 

11 minutes ago, rickygoo said:

I don’t see how they can relegate any teams if they say the season finishes as it is now. 

Just as how they can't hand out titles and promotions. So voiding it is the only answer in these circumstances. Yeah for some clubs it denies glory but its just freakish bad luck. I wanted Liverpool to win to wind up my plastic Man United mates. But it doesnt matter a poo now. And a team having to wait to win their 19th league title is no tradegy. A football league club going bust would be

1 minute ago, Belfast Owl 2 said:

Just as how they can't hand out titles and promotions. So voiding it is the only answer in these circumstances. Yeah for some clubs it denies glory but its just freakish bad luck. I wanted Liverpool to win to wind up my plastic Man United mates. But it doesnt matter a poo now. And a team having to wait to win their 19th league title is no tradegy. A football league club going bust would be

Finishing is the best option and getting some revenue into clubs even if it’s just from TV money. 

2 minutes ago, rickygoo said:

Finishing is the best option and getting some revenue into clubs even if it’s just from TV money. 

But that isnt looking likely for next few months. I doubt social distancing will be relaxed anytime soon. Football can take a back seat till thenm

Just now, Belfast Owl 2 said:

But that isnt looking likely for next few months. I doubt social distancing will be relaxed anytime soon. Football can take a back seat till thenm

Which it will. Football stopped  despite Johnson saying it could continue. 

Just now, rickygoo said:

So what date do you see  football being played again?

Bearing in mind the deadline of 30th June.

And the Tories have realised their original stance was poo and they wont return to it

52 minutes ago, Belfast Owl 2 said:

So what date do you see  football being played again?

Bearing in mind the deadline of 30th June.

And the Tories have realised their original stance was poo and they wont return to it

How the hell do I know. That deadline is probably movable - we didn’t Brexit on 31 October but it still happened. All up to UEFA.

But if the government says football shouldn’t be played it won’t be played. I don’t know why people are getting bothered by it. 

1 hour ago, rickygoo said:

No he didn't. He (wrongly) gave advice rather than enforcing it.

Football had no other choice, otherwise it would still be going now.

The game is gone. Well the game i know. Totally gone for me now.

Just now, sweetsheri said:

No he didn't. He (wrongly) gave advice rather than enforcing it.

Football had no other choice, otherwise it would still be going now.

The game is gone. Well the game i know. Totally gone for me now.

Football went years ago. 

“We are considering banning major public events like sporting fixtures,” Boris Johnson said on Thursday. “The scientific advice is this has little effect on the spread - but it does place a burden on other public services. We are guided by the science; there is no medical reason at the moment to ban such events. We are not saying no to that sort of measure, we are keeping it up our sleeves. But it is very, very important in order to maximise our interventions that we get the timing right.”

At that stage there was no coronavirus burden on sport therefore football had the all-clear. 

imo, you can't just suspend the season indefinitely. 

There will come a point where things are too far gone and this season is voided. Talk of sacking off next season or truncating it isn't going to happen. 

Truth be told, if Liverpool (or anyone else for that matter) weren't so far ahead in the Premier League, then I think the decision would be a lot more straightforward. 

Conservatively, I think you are looking at lockdown/social distancing (to this extent) for another 6, 8, perhaps 10 weeks. I hear about plans to quarantine teams, play games behind closed doors, but it all sounds a bit fanciful to me. Plus, what happens if the PL manage to finish their season, but the EFL is put in a position where its leagues have to be voided? Do Liverpool become champions, but there is no relegation? 

Regardless of the outcome, I fully expect there to be lawsuits flying about. 

8 minutes ago, rickygoo said:

Football went years ago. 

“We are considering banning major public events like sporting fixtures,” Boris Johnson said on Thursday. “The scientific advice is this has little effect on the spread - but it does place a burden on other public services. We are guided by the science; there is no medical reason at the moment to ban such events. We are not saying no to that sort of measure, we are keeping it up our sleeves. But it is very, very important in order to maximise our interventions that we get the timing right.”

At that stage there was no coronavirus burden on sport therefore football had the all-clear. 

He's talking about a ban. Common sense should have prevailed, which it did eventually, apart from the ticking biological time bomb of Atalanta vs valencia.

Or maybe Liverpool Vs AT Madrid perhaps.

Look at how football is reacting now. They are in some kind of parallel universe. It's pathetic.

Nothing compared to the decision to have the cheltenham festival though. I wonder how many people have died because

that took place.

The PL came across shocking a few weeks back. 

Correct me if I'm wrong, but they announced their intention to have the next round of games, only to then have to reverse the decision when it transpired that Arteta had contracted COVD-19? 

This was after both Serie A and La Liga had announced they were postponing their fixtures for the foreseeable future. 

It should be also said that as things stand English based players have not yet agreed to some sort of wage reduction or deferral. 

I think we all knew that football in this country was morally bankrupt, but still. 

6 minutes ago, sweetsheri said:

He's talking about a ban. Common sense should have prevailed, which it did eventually, apart from the ticking biological time bomb of Atalanta vs valencia.

Or maybe Liverpool Vs AT Madrid perhaps.

Look at how football is reacting now. They are in some kind of parallel universe. It's pathetic.

Nothing compared to the decision to have the cheltenham festival though. I wonder how many people have died because

that took place.

He certainly wasn’t advising they didn’t go ahead. Quite the opposite. He said no medical reason to stop it. What other reason would there be to not go ahead?   He achieved the remarkable feat of making football look sensible. 

5 minutes ago, SiJ said:

The PL came across shocking a few weeks back. 

Correct me if I'm wrong, but they announced their intention to have the next round of games, only to then have to reverse the decision when it transpired that Arteta had contracted COVD-19? 

This was after both Serie A and La Liga had announced they were postponing their fixtures for the foreseeable future. 

It should be also said that as things stand English based players have not yet agreed to some sort of wage reduction or deferral. 

I think we all knew that football in this country was morally bankrupt, but still. 

Nowhere near as poo as the government who had said it was OK to play. And I’m no fan of modern football. 

5 minutes ago, rickygoo said:

Nowhere near as poo as the government who had said it was OK to play. And I’m no fan of modern football. 

That's hardly a ringing endorsement of how the PL have/has conducted themselves. 

Tottenham and Newcastle are a absolute disgrace. Happy to furlough staff whilst their players earn hundreds of thousands of pounds a week

Players at clubs need to be taking cuts to look after the people who look after them on a daily basis

After all this, I hope the season gets cancelled, the TV companies pull the plug and each and every one of the grotesque set of greedy b*stards gets hit hard in the pocket