Premier League 2019/20

37 minutes ago, latemodelchild said:

Much as I'd like this to be true, I just don't see anyone catching em. Even if they got close var would step in. Their name has been on the trophy since the end of last season. Its gonna be unbearable. It'll be the greatest triumph, by the greatest team, for the greatest fans. There'll be special programmes on every channel. Think I'll hibernate. 

Only two things keep me going:

The fact they’ll have it mathematically done so early means it will soon be replaced by battle for 4th / relegation narrative.

The fact I assume we will all be given a public holiday to celebrate.

• Haha 2

11 hours ago, latemodelchild said:

Much as I'd like this to be true, I just don't see anyone catching em. Even if they got close var would step in. Their name has been on the trophy since the end of last season. Its gonna be unbearable. It'll be the greatest triumph, by the greatest team, for the greatest fans. There'll be special programmes on every channel. Think I'll hibernate. 

yep, LiVARpool are winning the league this season and they didn’t need any help from the experts at VAR but they are certainly getting it. Much like Hamilton winning the F1 championship before May it has made the competition feel flat, but at least there’s 4th place and the relegation battle to focus on. No doubt sky and BT will still show every Liverpool game from now until the end of the season even tho it’s boring, fortunately there’s other channels to watch when it happens 

Edited by Owls-Fan
  • Like 1

The VAR rules need changing, you surely can't disallow goals for offside when a players toe nail is in front of the defender? It's ruining the game, attackers can no longer play on the shoulder.

But can they change the rules midway through a season? Start allowing these as goals and teams will complain that they had one or two disallowed before the change resulting in them missing out on CL Europa or even relegation. 

1 hour ago, NorfolkNChance said:

Mike Riley needs to resign, the interpretation of VAR comes from the top and is fed down.

He’s got it unbelievably wrong. Surely it’s intention is to rule out clear and obvious , not being offside if you’ve got a bigger nose than the opposing defender. 

Read Dermot Gallagher’s interpretation of the events at the weekend and you’d think you were wrong but, you’re spot on. He claims it’s a message of zero tolerance on offsides being fed to the officials. That goes against the protocol of clear and obvious! Nobody knows that’s the biggest problem. Riley is inept, he was a poor official when he was reffing, god knows how he got the job in the first place.

There isn’t any technology available at Stockley Park to accurately determine a marginal offside call. They've admitted themselves that the frames per second used in the replays isn’t slow enough to determine when the ball was struck. That being said, they’re still insistent on ruling out the most marginal of offsides. Most of which, players are determined offside from a ridiculous angle. They simply can’t be sure so, why not go back to the old way of the attacker gets the benefit of the doubt?

1 hour ago, flo said:

In my opinion offside is offside even if it is a toe. It just clears it up as otherwise where do you draw the line between offside or onside and what is clear and obvious. At least it's 100% accurate

But to be consistent with how the other laws of the game are applied...........

When the ball is 100% across the goal line a goal is given. When the ball is 99% across the line but 1% is touching the line it is not a goal. Goal lin technology has proven this (same applies in tennis which was always held up as a video system that worked)

The same applies to feet. When the foot is 100% past the line of the last defender then you're offside. If it isn't then you're onside

3 hours ago, flo said:

In my opinion offside is offside even if it is a toe. It just clears it up as otherwise where do you draw the line between offside or onside and what is clear and obvious. At least it's 100% accurate

I'm ok with some variance in interpretations.  100percent accuracy leads to a lot of VAR calls and resultant frustration.  Especially for a casual viewer who really doesn't care or need a strict interpretation.  Would much rather have a smoother, uninterrupted gameflow.

1 hour ago, edmontonowl said:

But to be consistent with how the other laws of the game are applied...........

When the ball is 100% across the goal line a goal is given. When the ball is 99% across the line but 1% is touching the line it is not a goal. Goal lin technology has proven this (same applies in tennis which was always held up as a video system that worked)

The same applies to feet. When the foot is 100% past the line of the last defender then you're offside. If it isn't then you're onside

It depends on accurately catching (within milliseconds) of when the ball is played - and we do not have that technology - so much of it is interpretation

I always knew this would be a really unpalatable shitshow

An opinion is an opinion - for those advocating VAR the claim was always it would clear up debatable decisions - it hasn't.

Not even close

It's ruined the game

Can't even celebrate a goal - yet how many goals are scored that can be traced back to an incident that should have disallowed it but because the ref missed an incident (or wrongly judged it) in the build up the goal is allowed to stand.

At least before VAR we could be annoyed at human error without the benefit of hindsight - now we can see the screaming incompetence of "refs in the studio" - who have the benefit of hindsight yet still get it badly wrong

• Like 1

When its a matter of centimetres of being an offside or not there's no way that VAR can be 100% sure.

Trying to get the frame from exactly when the ball is played with the behind-view camera there's absolutely no chance.

This isn't what it was brought in for, stupid dots from a players armpit down trying to decipher if he was a millimetre offside or not. Baffling.