Premier League 2019/20

6 minutes ago, Django said:

Except the man with the video footage can have another look and see what’s gone off in slow motion and come to the correct decision, as opposed to a referee who only sees an incident once if he’s lucky or maybe misses it completely 

It’s teething problems, they’ll get it right eventually 

He doesn’t come to the ‘correct’ decision though, does he?  As this thread (and others) show.  He comes to his decision.  Which is debated by every man and his dog, as every decision is. It doesn’t make it correct, it just makes it his opinion.

The fact that decisions are based on opinions means they will never ‘get it right’ - because someone will always disagree.

From what I’ve seen the main controversy has been around these silly decisions to chalk goals off for niggly incidents leading up to goals. Penalties, offsides etc have been about right imo

Well, the Fernandes penalty incident would probably beg to differ.  Most offsides seem to be focusing on whether a 3D stray fibre of a bootlace is offside in a 2D environment.  

Well worth the money and delays.

VAR isn’t a problem. It’s the implementation. You simply cannot argue that giving the referee additional camera angles and, time to assess the situation, wouldn’t increase the amount of decisions the referee gets right.

Its absolutely correct to state that ultimately it’s still an opinion, there’s no way you can ever change that and, it’s what refereeing has been for the last 150+ years. Why’s that a problem now? 

I’ve said it I don’t know how many times, if they insist on using it, it has to be the on field referee who reverses his own decision. Look at the Nketiah red card, 3 minutes to tell the ref to go to the monitor, ref looks at the replay once and, gets to the correct decision.

I’d personally prefer 2 appeals per team. The game flows as normal and, each team can request the use of VAR for what they perceive to be an error. 

It should be like the NFL. Each captain has 2 challenges per game. If he see's something obviously wrong with a goal, or a red card, then he throws the flag and the referee stops the game. It will stop these stupid incidents where goals are scored and no one see's anything wrong until VAR spots an innocuous handball or foul 20 seconds before. It will reduce it to clear and obvious errors seen on the pitch by the players.

I think an appeal system would be a bit of a ball ache as teams would use it as a time wasting tactic or to kill another teams momentum if they were getting on top

Its had its issues but it’s done it’s job so far for me. Remember last season when Sterling thought he’d put City into the champions league semi final with that goal against Spurs, that would have been given if it was not for VAR, it was the right decision to chalk it off and Spurs went through instead 

1 minute ago, Django said:

I think an appeal system would be a bit of a ball ache as teams would use it as a time wasting tactic or to kill another teams momentum if they were getting on top

Its had its issues but it’s done it’s job so far for me. Remember last season when Sterling thought he’d put City into the champions league semi final with that goal against Spurs, that would have been given if it was not for VAR, it was the right decision to chalk it off and Spurs went through instead 

I disagree. 

Stop the clock when a review is taking place.

The manager uses the flag as an indication he wants to review. However, play continues until the ball goes dead. That way it can’t be used to disrupt an opposition counter attack.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Django said:

It would probably have been chalked off anyway without VAR.

With VAR the linesmen don’t put the flag for close offside decisions in the final third for fear of getting it wrong and stopping a perfectly good goal. They just leave it to VAR.

Without VAR the linesman would have been forced to make a decision and would probably have put his flag up.

Not certain of course but a decent chance.

I have lost all faith in our officials , VAR etc after the Fernandes incident at Villa. It they don’t use it to resolve obvious cheating like that  then what is the point.

• Like 1