Premier League 2019/20

So I see this morning the Premier League have officially admitted that their were 3 wrong penalty decisions in the games last night including the Man Utd one at Villa.

This is an absolute dog’s breakfast.

Michael Oliver , supposedly our top ref, was the VAR official.

So the on field ref opinion = penalty

VAR watching on screen opinion = penalty

Somebody else watching screen = no penalty

That's cleared that up then!

Not forgetting that Villa might yet stay up by a point gained when they should have clearly conceded a legitimate goal which would likely have lost them the game

• Like 1

I honestly can’t believe what I’m seeing from some people.

’He shouldn’t rush in’ 

Fernandes tried a turn which in all honesty, wasn’t even on. In doing so, he’s stood on a defender. The only thing the defender can do is let the player turn or, miraculously disappear. I’m yet to see a rule which states if an opposition player stands on you in the box, it’s a penalty to the opposition!

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, 0wl18 said:

I honestly can’t believe what I’m seeing from some people.

’He shouldn’t rush in’ 

Fernandes tried a turn which in all honesty, wasn’t even on. In doing so, he’s stood on a defender. The only thing the defender can do is let the player turn or, miraculously disappear. I’m yet to see a rule which states if an opposition player stands on you in the box, it’s a penalty to the opposition!

And then Fernandes goes down clutching his leg feigning injury.Should have been overturned and a booking for simulation( I.e. cheating)

2 hours ago, scram said:

So the on field ref opinion = penalty

VAR watching on screen opinion = penalty

Somebody else watching screen = no penalty

That's cleared that up then!

Not forgetting that Villa might yet stay up by a point gained when they should have clearly conceded a legitimate goal which would likely have lost them the game

That’s probably not quite accurate.

The VAR official doesn’t decide it’s a penalty, he decides there is not enough evidence to overturn the original decision.

Once you get past the fact that the player in my view cheated then the issue is that the VAR process is rubbish.
It is geared to trying not to undermine the match referee rather than get the correct decision.

Clearly the way around this is for the match referee to make the final decision by looking at the pitch side monitor.

If he had done that last night there is no way he would have given a pen.

2 minutes ago, oldishowl said:

That’s probably not quite accurate.

The VAR official doesn’t decide it’s a penalty, he decides there is not enough evidence to overturn the original decision.

Therefore = penalty. No?

7 minutes ago, scram said:

Therefore = penalty. No?

Not really 

The match referee says it’s a pen.

The VAR says there is not enough evidence to say it’s not a pen.

If the match referee had said no penalty and gone to VAR to check the decision then VAR would not have said it’s a penalty they would have said there is not enough evidence to overturn the match referees decision therefore no pen.

1 hour ago, oldishowl said:

Not really 

The match referee says it’s a pen.

The VAR says there is not enough evidence to say it’s not a pen.

If the match referee had said no penalty and gone to VAR to check the decision then VAR would not have said it’s a penalty they would have said there is not enough evidence to overturn the match referees decision therefore no pen.

What footage have you seen which suggests that John Moss didn’t make a clear and obvious error?? There isn’t any, it was a glaring error. The on field official and, official looking at the monitor failed, not VAR as a principle. VAR enables pretty much everyone to look back at the replays and agree it wasn’t a penalty. 

I understand the point you’re trying to make and, to a certain extent agree however, VAR isn’t a poor product. It worked outstandingly well at the Russia World Cup. Riley has implemented it in the most bizarre fashion.

11 minutes ago, 0wl18 said:

What footage have you seen which suggests that John Moss didn’t make a clear and obvious error?? There isn’t any, it was a glaring error. The on field official and, official looking at the monitor failed, not VAR as a principle. VAR enables pretty much everyone to look back at the replays and agree it wasn’t a penalty. 

I understand the point you’re trying to make and, to a certain extent agree however, VAR isn’t a poor product. It worked outstandingly well at the Russia World Cup. Riley has implemented it in the most bizarre fashion.

I agree it was an error.

The point I was making is that the VAR official is only looking at it to see if there is evidence that it is an error and not to decide it was a pen. A subtle difference but nevertheless an issue.

The Premier League need to make more use of the pitch side monitor like other leagues do so the match referee can change his own decision.

I can’t believe Jon Moss would have looked at that incident on the pitch side monitor and stuck with his original decision.

As a side issue why should referees have to put up with the serial diving of Fernandez . He dives all the time, had a penalty overturned by VAR last week because he blatantly dived and he dived again last night.

4 hours ago, Growl67 said:

Villa really have got problems if Mings is their best player. I think he’s shocking, Championship level at best. I don’t think he should be anywhere near the England team.

He's a lower end PL player imo.

The worry thing is I genuinely think he should be in the England squad and probably in the XI atm with Maguire. 

Stones and Keane are not up to it. Walker is obviously out of favour. Gomes is very hit and miss. Jones and Smalling are absolute tripe