Premier League 2019/20

The fact that they have a few "six pointer" games against teams near them in their table, like Spurs, Burnley, Everton, Wolves could work in their favour. If they win tomorrow they're back up to 7th. 

But if they don't win them... 

9 minutes ago, alanharper said:

The fact that they have a few "six pointer" games against teams near them in their table, like Spurs, Burnley, Everton, Wolves could work in their favour. If they win tomorrow they're back up to 7th. 

But if they don't win them... 

Hopefully the gradual slide, especially when they’re not playing, is getting into their heads. More pressure to get a win. All other teams been there & done it before. 

Guest Bulgaria

Owls a shoe in now for promotion as the premier league is going to take 8 million off each promoted club from the championship for the next two years to help with the revenue loss because of covid!

There are lots of ways that finances could be redistributed - taking money from newly promoted clubs doesn't seem to be that fair to me

I'd say take a couple of million from EVERY premier league club - plus halve the amount paid in parachute payments

However the real issue is not so much how the money is generated - it is how it is spent and as ever it would only find its way into the pockets of players via increased wages/bonuses - and agents via increased fees

That cycle needs to be broken and clubs need to become sensible and act as businesses

I'd also do away with P&S/ financial fair play - let clubs spend what they want but under the knowledge that if they over reach then they will go out of business

Football would settle down and become much more stable if clubs adopted sensible operating practices

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, scram said:

There are lots of ways that finances could be redistributed - taking money from newly promoted clubs doesn't seem to be that fair to me

I'd say take a couple of million from EVERY premier league club - plus halve the amount paid in parachute payments

However the real issue is not so much how the money is generated - it is how it is spent and as ever it would only find its way into the pockets of players via increased wages/bonuses - and agents via increased fees

That cycle needs to be broken and clubs need to become sensible and act as businesses

I'd also do away with P&S/ financial fair play - let clubs spend what they want but under the knowledge that if they over reach then they will go out of business

Football would settle down and become much more stable if clubs adopted sensible operating practices

Some good points in there.

Distribution of wealth at the top e.g. not going into players & agents pockets and the Football League not trying to play catch up, often to detrimental effect are the biggest issues for me.

I think reducing parachute payments would be a good start, it could stop a number of Championship clubs trying to operate on a Premier League budget just to be in playoff contention.

Wouldn't necessarily do away with FFP, there are benefits there to keep clubs in line with allowed losses over a three year period, potentially safeguarding them from financial turmoil if an owner stops bank-rolling them.

I can't imagine there's going to be a perfect scenario and there will always be winners and losers of any changes.

The thought of an owner coming in, gambling with money that isn't his but the club is liable for, failing to go up then walking away whilst the club folds terrifies me. For me, my son and thousands of others our club is a huge part of our lives. We traipse down every other week and a few nights in between. For that to disappear cos someone lost a gamble with no risk to him can't be allowed. I'm sure armchair fans would soon find another team to 'support' if their team folded, but I couldn't. 

What Bury went through should never happen. I feel for Wigan fans and am worried we could be next. I'm worried a few other clubs will go into Admin, and that's mainly from covid etc. Throw in unscrupulous owners screwing clubs up and there'll be no teams left. 

• Like 2