12 hours ago, Howards back said:

I can see the premiership starting behind closed doors at sometime. When Liverpool have enough points, the league will find a reason to finish the season there and then. No relegation and no promotion   Just Liverpool as champions with the teams in European places playing in Europe. 

They don't need to play any games to do that. They could just call it now. 

• Haha 1

This is the thing, as soon as players contract it and they have to start a period of self isolation, it will just fall down. It could also mean that there will be promotion or relegation throughout the leagues. Although, I think there should be a vote of whether Liverpool win the title. I can’t do with them but fair play, they deserve it this season and should be handed it. 

Posted (edited)
50 minutes ago, Bouncing Owl said:

This is the thing, as soon as players contract it and they have to start a period of self isolation, it will just fall down. It could also mean that there will be promotion or relegation throughout the leagues. Although, I think there should be a vote of whether Liverpool win the title. I can’t do with them but fair play, they deserve it this season and should be handed it. 

You cant hand Liverpool the title without making probability decisions about all promotion, relegation and European qualification as well, although UEFA might decide about European qualification anyway

If the season isn't finished on the pitch, then the season never took place, just void it

Edited by the third man
1 hour ago, Bouncing Owl said:

You can't "vote" someone a title. And a team "deserving it" has nothing to do with it. We "deserved" to go up the season they changed the points from 2 points for a win to three, we "deserved" to stay up when Swindon were penalised for breaking the rules.  You win a title by getting more points than anyone else over a full season not by being awarded it. And every match during that season has to be played to the same rules i.e. home and away, 90 minutes, etc.  I'd go so far as to say every match has to be played in front of crowds too, they affect the players AND the officials. 

44 minutes ago, 31Dec1966 said:

You can't "vote" someone a title. And a team "deserving it" has nothing to do with it. We "deserved" to go up the season they changed the points from 2 points for a win to three, we "deserved" to stay up when Swindon were penalised for breaking the rules.  You win a title by getting more points than anyone else over a full season not by being awarded it. And every match during that season has to be played to the same rules i.e. home and away, 90 minutes, etc.  I'd go so far as to say every match has to be played in front of crowds too, they affect the players AND the officials. 

Havent PSG been awarded the title in France? Anything can happen. Look, I’d rather that they didn’t win it as I don’t like them but they’ve been far ahead of everyone this year. 

I’ll stick to my guns and say if the premier league isn’t finished this season, there will be no promotion or relegation throughout the leagues. 

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, Bouncing Owl said:

Havent PSG been awarded the title in France? Anything can happen. Look, I’d rather that they didn’t win it as I don’t like them but they’ve been far ahead of everyone this year. 

Bruges may be awarded the Belgian title too. It'll be up to the clubs between them to decide I suppose. 

Edited by rickygoo

There is no fair way to sort this out. On balance the only real option available is to null and void this season and start the new one when appropriate. 

16 hours ago, 31Dec1966 said:

You can't "vote" someone a title. And a team "deserving it" has nothing to do with it. We "deserved" to go up the season they changed the points from 2 points for a win to three, we "deserved" to stay up when Swindon were penalised for breaking the rulesYou win a title by getting more points than anyone else over a full season not by being awarded it. And every match during that season has to be played to the same rules i.e. home and away, 90 minutes, etc.  I'd go so far as to say every match has to be played in front of crowds too, they affect the players AND the officials. 

No we didn't. We finished third from bottom on merit (or lack of it), regardless of what Swindon did in the division below us. And you've contradicted yourself with that second sentence: Sunderland were awarded promotion after Swindon were found guilty - they didn't actually win it on the pitch.

a better example would be that we deserved on merit to play in Europe, when clubs were banned because of the scousers. On that point alone I have absolutely no sympathy for Liverpool if the league were to be considered null and void 

2 hours ago, vulva said:

There is no fair way to sort this out. On balance the only real option available is to null and void this season and start the new one when appropriate. 

This

Better brains than us have been going round in circles for months and got nowhere

A lot will be sorted today, once the PL say no relegation and 20 teams next season all the other leagues are redundant, and as people have said it will most likely cost more to play games behind closed doors than not play them at all then the league will be abandoned and voided

1 hour ago, the monk said:

This

Better brains than us have been going round in circles for months and got nowhere

Really? Speak for yourself?!

EFL and PL better brains...Pfft

• Haha 1
37 minutes ago, the third man said:

A lot will be sorted today, once the PL say no relegation and 20 teams next season all the other leagues are redundant, and as people have said it will most likely cost more to play games behind closed doors than not play them at all then the league will be abandoned and voided

I don't think the EPL were given quite the steer they were expecting from BoJo. That may come in the additional documents that are being released but until then they may put a final decision on hold.  

4 hours ago, vulva said:

Which bearing in mind the public health issues is absolutely the correct action...if it wasn't for the pesky £762 million that the clubs have spent and the broadcasters want back!!

As I have said before one solution would be not to allow the premier League teams to spend any cash in the next transfer window, they would then recoup the £762m, they then should be forced to keep some reserves for unknown eventualities.... also would be good for the development of young players... just like Chelsea in their transfer ban

3 hours ago, punkskaphil said:

No we didn't. We finished third from bottom on merit (or lack of it), regardless of what Swindon did in the division below us. And you've contradicted yourself with that second sentence: Sunderland were awarded promotion after Swindon were found guilty - they didn't actually win it on the pitch.

Can't be bothered to check but I think Sunderland finished seventh but lost to Swindon in the playoff final. And there was a precedent for allowing us to stay up (can't remember what it was now and it doesn't really matter).

I stand by my point, which is, Liverpool haven't won anything until ALL games are completed under the original rules.

Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, 31Dec1966 said:

Can't be bothered to check but I think Sunderland finished seventh but lost to Swindon in the playoff final. And there was a precedent for allowing us to stay up (can't remember what it was now and it doesn't really matter).

I stand by my point, which is, Liverpool haven't won anything until ALL games are completed under the original rules.

Exactly. Sunderland lost the play-off final on the pitch but were still promoted, as a result of unusual circumstances. This is why they could quite easily award Liverpool the Premier League title without them actually completing it because they’re so far ahead of City.

Whether there was a precedent or not for us staying up was irrelevant to the point I was making. We deserved relegation that year, and that’s what we got. In no way did we deserve to stay up.

I actually agree that the current season should be voided, but if they did void it but still awarded Liverpool the title by virtue of their enormous points lead, I wouldn’t care less. Makes no difference to me.

Edited by punkskaphil

Trouble with voiding the season is what happens when you start again and then someone gets covid-19 then. Do you then void that season as well?

Personally, I think football will lose any credibility if the season doesn't finish and if there is no promotion relegation. Might as well just scrap promotion and relegation full stop and have closed competitions like America. If the league has to be played at neutral venues then so be it, can't see the argument of the likes of Brighton when it will be the same for everyone.

I also think it is no surprise that the teams in the lower half of the Premier League table are voting against relegation, as just trying to protect their own interests and not for the greater good. Easy for clubs to say we have an unnamed player who has tested positive and use that to their own means.

Prem clubs face having to repay £340M back to TV companies. 

HA HA HA HA HA HA HA. Gutted for them. There'll be clubs, that spunk £50M+ on poo players, on TV crying about hard done to they are. I'm buzzing that the pigs big season has blown up in their face. It's so sickening for them. 

• Haha 1