Premier League 2019/20

Fixtures announced so far. Looking forward to it starting again to be honest. 

Wednesday, 17 June: Aston Villa v Sheffield United (18:00), Sky Sports. Manchester City v Arsenal (20:15), Sky Sports.

Friday, 19 June: Norwich v Southampton (18:00), Sky Sports and Pick. Tottenham v Manchester United (20:15), Sky Sports.

Saturday, 20 June: Watford v Leicester City (12:30), BT Sport. Brighton v Arsenal (15:00), BT Sport. West Ham v Wolves (17:30), Sky Sports. Bournemouth v Crystal Palace (19:45), BBC.

Sunday, 21 June: Newcastle v Sheffield United (14:00), Sky Sports and Pick. Aston Villa v Chelsea (16:15), Sky Sports. Everton v Liverpool (19:00), Sky Sports and Pick.

Monday, 22 June: Manchester City v Burnley (20:00), Sky Sports.

Tuesday, 23 June: Leicester v Brighton (18:00), Sky Sports. Tottenham v West Ham (20:15), Sky Sports.

Wednesday, 24 June: Manchester United v Sheffield United (18:00), Sky Sports and Pick. Newcastle v Aston Villa (18:00), BT Sport. Norwich v Everton (18:00), BBC. Wolves v Bournemouth (18:00), BT Sport. Liverpool v Crystal Palace (20:15), Sky Sports.

Thursday, 25 June: Burnley v Watford (18:00), Sky Sports and Pick. Southampton v Arsenal (18:00), Sky Sports. Chelsea v Manchester (20:15), BT Sport.

Saturday, 27 June: Aston Villa v Wolves (12:30), BT Sport.

Sunday, 28 June: Watford v Southampton (16:30), Sky Sports and Pick.

Monday, 29 June: Crystal Palace v Burnley (20:00), Amazon Prime.

Tuesday, 30 June: Brighton v Manchester United (20:15), Sky Sports and Pick.

Wednesday, 1 July: Bournemouth v Newcastle (18:00), Sky Sports and Pick. Arsenal v Norwich (18:00), BT Sport. Everton v Leicester (18:00), Sky Sports. West Ham v Chelsea (20:15), Sky Sports.

Thursday, 2 July: Sheffield United v Tottenham (18:00), Sky Sports. Manchester City v Liverpool (20:15), Sky Sports.

On 04/06/2020 at 14:25, The only way is S6 said:

PL agree temporary increase of subs from 3 to 5 for remaining games.

SSN

yep, 5 subs and an extra two places on the bench so 9 to choose from. Sensible perhaps given that games will be played in a short space of time and the medical experts in the game would have liked a week or two longer to get up to speed but this certainly favours the bigger teams with more strength in depth in their squads. 

This circa 14 week break plus change in number of subs has created such a difference in conditions between the two phases of the season that it is inherently unfair.  It should have been cancelled weeks ago.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Big Malc said:

This circa 14 week break plus change in number of subs has created such a difference in conditions between the two phases of the season that it is inherently unfair.  It should have been cancelled weeks ago.

The situation regarding players contracts ending has yet to rear its head too. 

16 hours ago, SouthStand75 said:

If the clubs have voted for it and agreed to it, then how is it unfair? I think only 4 teams voted against the increase of subs but before the vote they all knew that only 14 teams needed to vote in favour of it for it to happen. 

If there wasn’t so much tv money riding on it, would they have voted for it?

It was more about the PL having to pay back TV money to Sky, to be honest.  Secondary to that is that clubs no longer rely on ST/gate money anymore, but the share of that tv money.

My point on it being inherently unfair is that for circa 30 games of the seasons teams have operated under one set of rules and found themselves in the positions they are now.  In an attempt to finish the season to ensure the release of Sky’s billions they are now operating under another set of rules, players that were unfit/injured 12 weeks ago are now fit, players that were coming into peak fitness have had a 13 week break, the list goes on.

It’s akin to a side competition that’s being used to decide the outcome of the main one.  

And I can assure you my view is absolutely nothing to do with our lamentable season.  I wouldn’t go as far to say I no longer care, but I’ve been worn down by the politics and mismanagement of our club for so long now that it’s just another episode in the saga.

• Like 1

On 07/06/2020 at 07:55, SouthStand75 said:

If the clubs have voted for it and agreed to it, then how is it unfair? I think only 4 teams voted against the increase of subs but before the vote they all knew that only 14 teams needed to vote in favour of it for it to happen. 

They are likely to vote for more subs because they have had around 4 weeks in training and will have matches at a shorter timescale than is usually the case. The medical and fitness experts at these clubs are telling them that around 6 weeks would have been the desired amount of time before going back into competitive games and the evidence from the Bundesliga suggests that muscle injuries are more likely to happen.

Just because they have voted for this doesn't mean it is fair - it is undoubtedly weighted in favour of the teams with more strength in depth, giving them more of an advantage than was the case under the previous rules.