Team for tomorrow

Yeah, I know where you are coming from. Like I say, he has the skill set but if what you're saying is that he needs to apply himself more consistently then I am with you. I do think that he gets a bit heavily marked sometimes which makes him look anonymous but he is one of those players that in the good old days a coach would say 'give him a whack early on'. But if his head is in the right place... 

Reach was a little anonymous at Reading last week and never really got into the game.  We tended to play over to Harris a lot which worked very well, but it meant Reach on the right wasn’t really involved.  

It will be interesting how he gets on today, with the likes of Murphy, Forestieri and Luongo waiting in the wings  

12 minutes ago, debram said:

Sometimes maybe but for me he has a tendency to go missing when the going gets tough, not consistent enough, he does score the odd goal and some screamers too, as you can tell he's not my favourite player but each to their own. 

Just because he goes missing doesn’t mean he’s doing a job

Last week he kept hugging the touchline and although the ball didn’t come to him most of the time, he’s stretching defenders and opening gaps up on the attack for players like Harris to exploit

He doesn’t have to be in every tackle every pass and every headed to be doing a job

Same team to start apart from Dawson in for Westwood.

Now we have quality to bring on I'd expect the starters to raise the intensity so we can bring fresh legs on after 60-70 minutes. Murphy for reach, Luongo for Lee and FF for Harris are all great changes that would give us a high energy last quarter.

Dawson

Moses

Lee

Borner

Odubajo

Hutch

Lee

Bannan

Harris

Fletch

Reach

Subs :

Murphy

Luongo

Jones

Rhodes

Winnall

Bates

Fernando

that would be my team , gives un unreal options from the bench , imagine it’s 1-1 with 25 to go and you bring on Murphy winnall and Fernando for example 

14 hours ago, Brando17 said:

Rhodes and Fletcher up top

it's Barnsley not Leed's 

Totally agree. Glad to see I'm not the only one who doesn't understand this 4-3-3 stuff.

Rhodes has never had success in that role, always as a front 2 at Hudds and Blackburn. He can't play that role like Fletcher.

So I see 4-3-3 away with Fletcher and wingers, and 4-4-2 at home with Rhodes and Fletch. Really hoping thats the case or doubt we get much from Rhodes once again, we'll see today

30 minutes ago, BarnsleyOwl96 said:

Dawson

Moses

Lee

Borner

Odubajo

Glad you're not the manager. A back three with Moses Odubajo covering left back and right back at the same time probably wouldn't work well. 

11 minutes ago, swfc-dan said:

Totally agree. Glad to see I'm not the only one who doesn't understand this 4-3-3 stuff.

What's not to understand? This season we're a high press, counter attacking team (watch the Murphy interview), three in the middle helps protect the back four as well as providing cover for the full backs, two banks of three means the three midfielders do the second press if the opponents get past the first press from the forwards/wide players, it's a modern dynamic formation that works very well with the right players and coaching. 

I very much suspect he will go with the same formation and just put Dawson in.

The bench will be interesting as to whether he loads up with attacking options.  I tend to think on the bench he'll go with Jones, Bates,  Luongo, Murphy, Rhodes, Nuihu and Fessi.  I think with those 7 choices all positions can be covered, with just minor alterations. Plus he can easily switch to 4-4-2 if he thinks it's needed. 

The other point is if we aim to play 4-5-1/4-3-3 regularly I think he'll look to replace Fletch around 70 mins. Out transfer business has been good, but we are relient on Fletch staying fit. If he doed bring Fletch off then Nuihu or Rhodes will come on. Id also guess Luongo will come on for Lee, meaning only 1 more sub if there are no injuries. He could of course bring Fessi or Murphy on for Lee and put Reach inside.

Longer term, I'd be shocked if Iorfa and Luongo aren't regular starters and Murphy if he performs to the levels he is capable of.  

And personally, I'd love to see Fessi beat the ban and find his top form. 

Edited by onlyonedavidhirst

1 hour ago, swfc-dan said:

Rhodes has never had success in that role, always as a front 2 at Hudds and Blackburn. He can't play that role like Fletcher.

So I see 4-3-3 away with Fletcher and wingers, and 4-4-2 at home with Rhodes and Fletch. Really hoping thats the case or doubt we get much from Rhodes once again, we'll see today

I really liked the 433 last week with two proper widemen.

However, I can see your point entirely, and Hutch should not be necessary at home to a modest side.

That said, he scored one and made one.

I need a fence to sit on....nah - don’t change last weeks side. 3-1 away and 12 attempts on goal . Clearly it works.

1 hour ago, swfc-dan said:

4-3-3 gives you three central midfielders and the midfield battle is where a game is often won or lost. If you can control the midfield you can control the game.

if you’re up against a team playing 4-4-2 you’ve got the numbers in central midfield.

Let’s say we play with Hutch and Bannan in a 4-4-2 and the opposition play 4-3-3. You could tell one of your three to close down Bannan as soon as he gets on the ball. As most of our play goes through him this effectively stops us playing. Hutch sits deep so you don’t have to worry too much about him which would then leave one of your three (say your main ball player such as Mooy or Huddlestone) to just run the game.

Edited by York_Owl

1 minute ago, York_Owl said:

4-3-3 gives you three central midfielders and the midfield battle is where a game is often won or lost. If you can control the midfield you can control the game.

if you’re up against a team playing 4-4-2 you’ve got the numbers in central midfield.

Let’s say we play with Hutch and Bannan in a 4-4-2 and the opposition play 4-3-3. You could tell one of your three to close down Bannan as soon as he gets on the ball. As most of our play goes through him this effectively stops us playing. Hutch sits deep so you don’t have to worry too much about him which would then leave one of your three (say your main ball player such as Mooy or Huddlestone) to just run the game.

If we play 442 at all I hope and expect it would be Bannan and Lee, with Hutch rested.

Look how deep Hutch sat last week. You can’t afford that in a 2.

35 minutes ago, Holmowl said:

If we play 442 at all I hope and expect it would be Bannan and Lee, with Hutch rested.

Look how deep Hutch sat last week. You can’t afford that in a 2.

You’re still 3 v 2 which is what Lampard and Gerard complained about when playing for England in a two against teams playing a three.

Look at what happened when Lee and Bannan played there v Huddersfield away semi final play off leg. We had 30% possession and created nothing.