A Nightmare on Jihadi John Street

darra

7 minutes ago, Beany71 said:

I have to admit my very few blunt mates are also being quite controlled about it. It's the annoying B@st@rds that have never been to a match that are all over social media! 

Tbf, my Dem Blades mates are usually pretty reasonable. 

You have to take it on the chin really. For several years they gave us endless entertainment with how crap they were. 

Things have completely flipped on their head now and, whilst somewhat galling, in an odd way it isn't quite so bad when you are not in the same division. 

16 hours ago, MAL said:

Like i was saying before.

They don't play any NAME, they play the game they want to play.

Which is, attack the phuck out of teams, go for the win in every game, create chances and by statistics, the more you create the bigger chance to score, plus whilst they attack the other side are not, not Keeganesque though.

He brought in players that were in lower leagues, but he brought them in because they do have abilities he can work with.

They have either or all of the good things, main one being quick thinking, whether that is with or without the ball, they know where to pass when they have it, they know where to go or cover when they don't, they don't tippy tap it about much, they move it quickly.

They can control a ball, they can run "Forward" with the ball, they can pass a ball, they can find space to receive a ball.

They might not be "the best" at them, but put it all together and it works a treat, he doesn't have posers.

They don't though, in the vast majority of games this season they've had far less possession than the opposition and fewer shots on goal as well - they've won at least 3 of their games despite sitting back and having around 30% possession and their top scorer up to the end of October was "own goal"! In 18 league games so far they've actually only exceeded 49% possession on 3 occasions (only winning 1 of those games) and they've had fewer shots on goal than their opponents in 12 matches (winning 2 of the 6 games that they had more shots in). Winning 2-0 at Everton with 30% possession and 1 shot on target was just peak Sheffield United!

Yeah they had a good go at Man Utd for an hour who turned up without a midfield but that was an exception tbh, their success is largely based on supreme organisation and hard work off the ball, and mostly by being bloody hard to score against, with the 3 CBs and 3 central midfielders in front of them effectively giving them 6 men in the middle of the park to stop teams playing there and the 3 CBs mean that teams who get round the sides with wingers don't get much joy from crosses either . Don't get me wrong Wilder is a brilliant manager (said through gritted teeth!) and he has the system he wants and the players to make it work, but the "swashbuckling all out attack Sheffield United style" isn't exactly the truth these days, in fact he learned in the second half of last season that he needs to be tight away from home rather than just going for it hence the crucial 1-0 wins at promotion rivals Leeds and WBA. They're not going to get "found out" either, PL managers aren't daft they know exactly how United play, but they're so tight and organised that it's difficult to get a positive result against them even if you dominate possession as Everton and Arsenal found out.

Yeah, United's success has actually come from how defensively organised they are. 

It is a big part of why they got promoted and why they are doing so well now. Extremely well organised and very difficult to create chances against. 

Should they go a goal up, then teams are always going to struggle against them. 

I see some Dem Blades fans get upset when people label their football as basic. I'm not sure basic is the right description, but their approach is quite old school, albeit within quite a unique version of 3-5-2. They are about hard work, being organised and getting good deliveries into the box. It works. 

Edited by SiJ

48 minutes ago, alanharper said:

They don't though, in the vast majority of games this season they've had far less possession than the opposition and fewer shots on goal as well - they've won at least 3 of their games despite sitting back and having around 30% possession and their top scorer up to the end of October was "own goal"! In 18 league games so far they've actually only exceeded 49% possession on 3 occasions (only winning 1 of those games) and they've had fewer shots on goal than their opponents in 12 matches (winning 2 of the 6 games that they had more shots in). Winning 2-0 at Everton with 30% possession and 1 shot on target was just peak Sheffield United!

Yeah they had a good go at Man Utd for an hour who turned up without a midfield but that was an exception tbh, their success is largely based on supreme organisation and hard work off the ball, and mostly by being bloody hard to score against, with the 3 CBs and 3 central midfielders in front of them effectively giving them 6 men in the middle of the park to stop teams playing there and the 3 CBs mean that teams who get round the sides with wingers don't get much joy from crosses either . Don't get me wrong Wilder is a brilliant manager (said through gritted teeth!) and he has the system he wants and the players to make it work, but the "swashbuckling all out attack Sheffield United style" isn't exactly the truth these days, in fact he learned in the second half of last season that he needs to be tight away from home rather than just going for it hence the crucial 1-0 wins at promotion rivals Leeds and WBA. They're not going to get "found out" either, PL managers aren't daft they know exactly how United play, but they're so tight and organised that it's difficult to get a positive result against them even if you dominate possession as Everton and Arsenal found out.

But that is why they don't have as much possession.

When they have the ball, they get it forward quickly, no messing around their own box, it is straight up the other end, if they don't score the opposites have possession and they will stroke the ball around their box, giving them all the possession without much threat.

This shows with the stats i have...

Passes

Pork average per game = 386.44

Opposites average per game = 532.33

Difference of -145.89

Attacks

Pork average per game = 106.06

Opposites average per game = 116.06

Difference of -10

Attacks Dangerous

Pork average per game = 55.22

Opposites average per game = 54.28

Difference of +0.94

Every manager and player that are playing them, should know they will have to graft for a result.

They, especially Arsenal will not do that, they just want to jog around like it is a training match.

Whichever is the total reason...

I just wish the lazy arsse opposites would try more.

My possession stats for all games this season are...

Pork Average per game = 43.72%

Opposites Average per game = 56.28%

Attempts

Pork Average per game = 10.06

Opposites Average per game = 10.44

Newcastle got it right against them pinging short first-time passes so they couldn't pressure them on the ball into making mistakes. United were chasing shadows. Then for some reason they stopped doing it and played into United's hands. 

15 minutes ago, darra said:

Newcastle got it right against them pinging short first-time passes so they couldn't pressure them on the ball into making mistakes. United were chasing shadows. Then for some reason they stopped doing it and played into United's hands. 

Bruce knew his best chance was playing a battler, so he chose Carroll from the start. That defence of Utds wouldn't have given Joelinton a kick.

Love that phrase of Scrams ' Hard work beats talent when talent doesn't work hard ' . Going to memorise that!.

Basically Utd will only struggle against teams with a similar attitude to them but a little more quality, like Leicester. I think they have the chops to beat anyone but Liverpool, home or away. 

1 hour ago, darra said:

Ironically that Newcastle game was one of only two games this season where they both dominated possession and had more shots than their opponents, the other being Watford - yet they failed to score in either game.

7 hours ago, Bannofan said:

Bruce knew his best chance was playing a battler, so he chose Carroll from the start. That defence of Utds wouldn't have given Joelinton a kick.

Love that phrase of Scrams ' Hard work beats talent when talent doesn't work hard ' . Going to memorise that!.

Basically Utd will only struggle against teams with a similar attitude to them but a little more quality, like Leicester. I think they have the chops to beat anyone but Liverpool, home or away. 

I must have missed that quote.

I like it very much.

23 minutes ago, Matt_1 said:

Has Chris Turner got links to the Pigs?

He was in the Copthorne the other week with Wilder, Knill and some other guy, with Wilder and Turner both slating Wednesday.

Struck me as strange. Didn't realise Chris Turner disliked us.

What were they saying? 

42 minutes ago, Matt_1 said:

Has Chris Turner got links to the Pigs?

He was in the Copthorne the other week with Wilder, Knill and some other guy, with Wilder and Turner both slating Wednesday.

Struck me as strange. Didn't realise Chris Turner disliked us.

Chesterfield legend :duntmatter:

3 hours ago, parkfieldowl14 said:

It the way he's having a real dig at us yet again and it's that that really winds me up.:tango:

5th in the league yet we remain their number one obsession.

That's why pork such as

@whw

@ajm

@Owling with laughter

have visited Owlstalk multiple times (at least twice each, I noticed they'd been on this morning and again tonight, and who knows how many times in between).... on Christmas Day lol

A couple of the others have more than likely been on as well but they hide behind anonymous log-ins these days.

• Haha 1