A Nightmare on Jihadi John Street

darra

Although Wilder's the kinda bloke who can't keep his hands off himself when the lights go out, in matters football he obviously knows his onions.

Is it mesmerism, hypnotism, ESP or voodoo?

It's too daft to laugh at.

But I'm afraid folks that this madness is set to continue while ever he remains at the club.

20 minutes ago, Matt_1 said:

As long as we're doing OK, this tends not to bother me as much.

Last year with Jos was some of the darkest times.

This is annoying, but it doesn't ruin my weekends like the Jos era.

Same. 

It is a bit irritating, but we are doing pretty well. 

It is a bit bonkers to think that group of players are doing quite so well in the PL. 

Not sure what that says about the standard of the league as a whole, though you have to give massive credit to what Wilder is doing there. 

Like in the Championship, they don't really seem to fazed by anyone. 

1 hour ago, SiJ said:

Same. 

It is a bit bonkers to think that group of players are doing quite so well in the PL. 

Not sure what that says about the standard of the league as a whole, though you have to give massive credit to what Wilder is doing there. 

It certainly is a bit bonkers. I bought the book about Wilder (a quid from a charity shop) for a Blade mate and read a few bits. The bit that struck me the most was where he said he never looked at a players value and told his players they were just as good as the opposition regardless of theor transfer worth. Reminded me of Ramsey picking the player who could do the best job in the team, not necessarily the best player. He instills belief in his players, goes out to win every game from the off, and treats his players like he treated them at Alfreton Town. Seems to be working dammit.

1 hour ago, SiJ said:

Same. 

Like i was saying before.

They don't play any NAME, they play the game they want to play.

Which is, attack the phuck out of teams, go for the win in every game, create chances and by statistics, the more you create the bigger chance to score, plus whilst they attack the other side are not, not Keeganesque though.

He brought in players that were in lower leagues, but he brought them in because they do have abilities he can work with.

They have either or all of the good things, main one being quick thinking, whether that is with or without the ball, they know where to pass when they have it, they know where to go or cover when they don't, they don't tippy tap it about much, they move it quickly.

They can control a ball, they can run "Forward" with the ball, they can pass a ball, they can find space to receive a ball.

They might not be "the best" at them, but put it all together and it works a treat, he doesn't have posers.

They're currently trading well on the old maxim of a Burnley type of team

"hard work beats talent when talent doesn't work hard"

I'm not sure Wilder is the type of manager who can step up from this level - maybe he is - but i have similar thoughts about Dyche and Howe for eg

maybe they are in their optimal niche - and thats perhaps best for them - to create positions where they are so revered they almost become untouchable

Rather than risk moving up a level (in club stature at least) and finding it's not working out

• Like 3

Their next two away games are City and Liverpool, I'm a City fan and a scouser for a week or two. Surely they won't get anything there?

I'm going for a 9th or 10th spot finish for them.

What they have got is a 100% work rate and commitment, and a belief/confidence that drives them on every week. It will be interesting if they loose a few to see how they react to that.

It sticks in my throat, but, Wilder has got a very good performing team from a very average bunch of players.

Bast*rd

They're doing ridiculously well and my blunt mates are somehow managaing to remain civil about it. I think they're just as shocked. It is sickening to see however I'll be there to smile when they start collapsing. Whether its this season or the next. We'll all be there laughing. 

Guest The Horse
11 hours ago, scram said:

"hard work beats talent when talent doesn't work hard"

This.

I don't think many Prem teams have yet to match them for work rate which I find astonishing.

I'd have thought most clubs in the top flight would have dedicated analysts to pick apart the opposition and notice this.

Obviously not and it seems most teams are caught out by their industry. As Souness said, you've got to match them for work rate to earn the right to play.

Interestingly, I think a bottom placed Watford team fighting for their lives should give them one of their biggest tests yet.