David Bates - SIGNS OFFICIAL

Guest domSWFC

22 years old, played 25 games last season for a big club. Previously at Rangers, another massive club. 

Don't think makes sense for him, or his parent club for him to come here and sit on the bench. 

This alone makes me optimistic that the lad has enough about him to be pushing to start. 

5 minutes ago, StudentOwl said:

We paid closer to half that, the £4m is an Owlstalk-made myth that most now think is reality. 

Im not sure! May be £3m with add ons. We spent months scouring over 200 centre halves across Europe and ended up paying that for him. 

Just disappointed about Hector - tried and tested, great player, popular with his teammates and fans. He was a clear player of the year last season and one of the best centre halves in the championship, if not the best.

I know nothing about this bloke other than what I've read today, but we clearly needed another centre back and Chelsea's apparent refusal to lower their asking price for Hector means an alternative was needed. I'm just glad we didn't put all our eggs in one basket.

Fingers crossed he turns out to be an astute signing.

7 minutes ago, owls-swfc said:

Somebody said that Hector (having not been sold in this transfer window), maybe available in loan window or when it reopens in Jan,... By which time his contract /worth will have eroded, .... So to cut to chase... We'll have him for the run-in! 

Hopefully it’ll be a case of the considerably cheaper Bates being a hidden gem and it will be a case of Hector who?

Sounds like Master Bates has already fallen victim to the Hillsborough Curse. Because of what some fans opinions are, and before he's even kicked a ball for us, he's CRAP.

Then we wonder why we have difficulty in recruiting players.

Forget Hector!!!! He's not ours any longer. IMO Chelsea's  valuation was far , far too high. Forget him. Move  on. And for once get behind someone who has decided to throw in his lot with us. 

2 hours ago, malek said:

We were seriously linked with likes of Hector and McKenna and in the end we signed Bates.

Can't help myself but feeling that instead of bringing in what would have been best CB at the club, we settled for a back-up.

Hope I'm wrong and David proves me wrong as soon as possible.

In any case, good luck to the fella.

Dont know if you've heard, but we've had a few issues with FFP recently.

Hence, splashing 5 million on people probably isn't the wisest move, irrespective of how good they are.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Comment from a Rangers mate of mine: "He's a good backs to the wall defender. Old school. Not great with the ball at his feet, but I haven't seen him since he left for germany. He was a fans favourite last season but he got injured and wasnt in the plans this season."

I'd probably take that at Championship level.

1 hour ago, Bouncing Owl said:

Im not sure! May be £3m with add ons. We spent months scouring over 200 centre halves across Europe and ended up paying that for him. 

Just disappointed about Hector - tried and tested, great player, popular with his teammates and fans. He was a clear player of the year last season and one of the best centre halves in the championship, if not the best.

He wasn't really one of the best, if we're being honest our fans have overrated him to f*ck because he's got dreads and went to Chelsea away. He's on a par with Tom Lees, which is no disgrace.

Just now, Not Jon Newsome said:

He wasn't really one of the best, if we're being honest our fans have overrated him to f*ck because he's got dreads and went to Chelsea away. He's on a par with Tom Lees, which is no disgrace.

I have to agree. Solid player but the hysteria was unnecessary. Wish him all the best but time to move on.

1 hour ago, Bouncing Owl said:

Behave, not even close to been best centre half in division 

3 minutes ago, Not Jon Newsome said:

Tbf, I dont think Lees gets the credit for how good he was in the 2nd part of last season.

Very much a partnership. 

Edited by SiJ

13 minutes ago, Barry Smegson said:

Comment from a Rangers mate of mine: "He's a good backs to the wall defender. Old school. Not great with the ball at his feet, but I haven't seen him since he left for germany. He was a fans favourite last season but he got injured and wasnt in the plans this season."

I'd probably take that at Championship level.

I'll take a defender who can actually defend, over a "ball playing CB" any day. So many defenders looks pretty but can't actually defend anymore, lose you far more points than they gain you. I like the reports that he's quick too, which you wouldn't expect from someone 6"4. Definately got some attributes it seems.

Still got room to improve too and funnily enough will give Borner someone to talk some German to!

Edited by swfc-dan

3 minutes ago, Not Jon Newsome said:

1 minute ago, SwellOwl said:

I have to agree. Solid player but the hysteria was unnecessary. Wish him all the best but time to move on.

I would have liked him back definitely but was he flawless ........no way 

He had presence but was not that quick over the ground , he read the game well 

If its meant to be we may get him in January , best ways we may not need him in January 

• Like 1

Lees 

Borner 

Bates

Thorniley 

Iorfa can also play centre half 

zero concern about our strength in that position to be honest