David Bates - SIGNS OFFICIAL

Just now, malek said:

We were seriously linked with likes of Hector and McKenna and in the end we signed Bates.

Can't help myself but feeling that instead of bringing in what would have been best CB at the club, we settled for a back-up.

Hope I'm wrong and David proves me wrong as soon as possible.

In any case, good luck to the fella.

McKenna the talk was 8m and Hector 5m if true what do you expect?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, malek said:

We were seriously linked with likes of Hector and McKenna and in the end we signed Bates.

Can't help myself but feeling that instead of bringing in what would have been best CB at the club, we settled for a back-up.

Hope I'm wrong and David proves me wrong as soon as possible.

In any case, good luck to the fella.

I think we were probably forced down this route but as it’s a loan it’s relatively low risk. 

2 hours ago, cookeh said:

Aye, cos if you're not in the matched squad due to injury you must be rank rotten! :ghoulguy:

For the record Bates is not shown as having missed any match last season due to injury, He was on bench for 6 or 7 games in a row and then played in penultimate match of last season where he was subbed at half time he did not make squad for last match of last season. I could not find any official confirmation of any injury this season and took part in pre season. He played a lot last season due to one of first choice centre backs being injured.. My comments were based on what he has achieved and perceived potential and I stand by them. I will be delighted if he turns out to be great. 

McKenna as indicated is highly rated by comparison. Hector we all know did well for us last season and played best football he has ever done. 

2 hours ago, Quist said:

Bates does not look like type to double in value. Currently not in match day 18 for German second division club. This is a huge step down on Hector or McKenna. 

Official stats show he missed no games through injury last season and same this. Also took part in pre season. 

f earlier comment correct we have signed player who has not been fit since end of last season and still recovering. Does this sound right?

18 minutes ago, sheffwed1 said:

McKenna the talk was 8m and Hector 5m if true what do you expect?

To sign someone who would be better or at least as good as Borner and Lees.

We weren't in the market for back-up, but on improvement on those two.

2 minutes ago, malek said:

Which he may be....

we cant afford to be paying 5m+ due to shocking recruitment over last 3 or 4 years. Simple as that. 

• Like 1

Makes good sense to me. 

Lees & borner has the makings of a solid partnership, borner was club captain which we know Lees needs a real leader at the side of him to produce his best football. 

For me with borner being left footed it has the makings of an even better partnership than Lees & Hector. 

As immense as Hector was last season he still had a few troubles and mistakes, or showed his man inside due to being naturally right footed like Lees. 

Bates & Thornilly as backup and for the cup games, hopefully we can rid ourselves of the disasterous signing of VanAkren to someone gullible in Europe before their window shuts. 

11 minutes ago, malek said:

Couple of questions...

how good is Borner? You seem like you follow random football leagues.

not quite sure how to ask the second question because I don't know how good Borner is... how do you know we were looking to improve on them.

Random questions, you seem to always want the club to invest in resalable players... what's wrong with this.

Feel free to assume that an improvement, based on the idea that popped up in the void between your ears, wasn't possible due to other reasons. 

Sorry but not sorry for this post.

33 minutes ago, mcmigo said:

one for the suns bench. Shame we couldn’t get big hec done . 

5m for a person who isn't even in their plans and only 12 months on their contract isn't steep though, it's absolutely ridiculous and out of our league.

Guest Manwithastick

Mate is a Celtic ST holder. Bates came through at Rangers (RIP) so it was with a heavy heart he told me he thinks this laddie is quality and a great acquisition.