David Bates - SIGNS OFFICIAL

The Owls have completed the season-long loan signing of central defender David Bates from Bundesliga 2 side Hamburg.

The Scotland international joins Massimo Luongo and Jacob Murphy in moving to S6 on deadline day and is the club’s seventh signing of the summer transfer window.

3 hours ago, cookeh said:

Yes. He was injured right at the end of last season, and should be just about back training now, but probably not ready fro matches.

Haven't seen masses of him since he left Scotland. He's big and quick. A combination that could see him become a real player imo. In Scotland he was a little naive at times, and Rangers fan's are not the most forgiving folk, especially given how superior Celtic have been. Moving to Germany seems to have helped him. He's seemed more consistent and smarter, tho part of that will just be growing up and getting games. Very few center backs are the real deal at 21-22.

His international performances were very respectable. Did nothing wrong and is likely to be in future squads as a result. To me, he'd be a good gamble. Significantly cheaper than proven options like Hector or McKenna, but he does have the attributes to be a top player. He just needs the right coaching.

Hmmm if only we had an experienced solid Scottish CB on the training staff.... hang on a minute!

We were seriously linked with likes of Hector and McKenna and in the end we signed Bates.

Can't help myself but feeling that instead of bringing in what would have been best CB at the club, we settled for a back-up.

Hope I'm wrong and David proves me wrong as soon as possible.

In any case, good luck to the fella.