David Bates - SIGNS OFFICIAL

2 minutes ago, uɐıɹɐqɯıɹ⅁ said:

Yep we got absolutely skanked by Stoke, took advantage of us, WBA were very decent and gave us a good price for Brunt.

Yes I remember now. He was in the last year of his contract, but thought at the time we'd be better off getting another 3 months of him at S6 than £500 pi$$y K.

42 minutes ago, swfc-dan said:

Sounds like a gamble definately worth taking. We need to go for younger cheaper options sometimes, it's no wonder we never make money on players if we continually buy them in their late 20's. Sounds like a lot of potential here.

Would love Hector back but for the price it isn't worth it. Bates likely costs half the price and his value could easily double in a year or two here. Sounds like he's done ok in the national team too, so can't make excuses about poor competition. Would fit in well with Bully/Bannan and of course the biggest Scot of all Liam Palmer.

Bates does not look like type to double in value. Currently not in match day 18 for German second division club. This is a huge step down on Hector or McKenna. 

1 minute ago, Quist said:

Bates does not look like type to double in value. Currently not in match day 18 for German second division club. This is a huge step down on Hector or McKenna. 

If you actually read the thread you'd know he's currently injured and just returning to fitness.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, pussface said:

Yes I remember now. He was in the last year of his contract, but thought at the time we'd be better off getting another 3 months of him at S6 than £500 pi$$y K.

Brunt was also in the last year of his contract unless I'm remembering wrong, and we got £3m? plus we cashed in on the sell on clause and got another £250k or something like that from them? Bet they regret that now considering they never sold him on ;)

2 minutes ago, Quist said:

Aye, cos if you're not in the matched squad due to injury you must be rank rotten! :ghoulguy:

3 minutes ago, swfc-dan said:

Do you think a 22yr old is the finished product though? How the leagues compare is irrelevant.

I just want us to sign someone with potential we can actually make a profit on for once. Sick of us signing players in late 20's with no resale value. And he would be competing for a CB spot straight away.

Agree fully - we need to be bringing in youth that will progress with us or have a resale value if it doesn't work out.

Asking whether or not Bundesliga 2 is Championship level was to get any input as to whether or not we would look at Bates being a starter or whether he would need to get up to speed with the level not a slur on his current level. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, uɐıɹɐqɯıɹ⅁ said:

Brunt was also in the last year of his contract unless I'm remembering wrong, and we got £3m? plus we cashed in on the sell on clause and got another £250k or something like that from them? Bet they regret that now considering they never sold him on ;)

The difference was that we sold Brunt in August and Whelan in January.

5 minutes ago, Andrew6666 said:

Agree fully - we need to be bringing in youth that will progress with us or have a resale value if it doesn't work out.

Asking whether or not Bundesliga 2 is Championship level was to get any input as to whether or not we would look at Bates being a starter or whether he would need to get up to speed with the level not a slur on his current level. 

Fair point yeah. He's played at international level so I think he'd be around the standard required right away.

Wouldn't be immediately a starter, but we don't need one with Lees and Borner. 

Always wondered if we signed Hector who would be the one to lose their place?

1 hour ago, Andrew6666 said:

He was signed by Hamburg before they were relegated, but due to transfer windows he didnt join them until they were down. So he wasn't intended to be a Bundesliga 2 player, just turned out that way.

I'd say he'd be ready to play pretty quickly. The German league is slower and more tactical, so it might take a few games to get fully used to the hustle and bustle of the Championship, but I doubt he's forgotten how frantic British football can be.

Worth noting that he's a right footer, so would be competing with Lees for a spot really.. while Borner and Thorniley battle it out on the other side. A 28 year old and a 22 year old for each side of central defense.. and also van aken.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, SiJ said:

Would love to get Hector back, but 5 million is excessive imo. 

Tbf, we have found a bit of a gem in Borner (time will tell), so bringing in Bates as an understudy/competition (for a smaller fee) might make sense. 

I have to agree. If David Luis is £8m then £5m for Hector looks excessive bordering on wee wee take.