The Left Back Conundrum

39 minutes ago, dan1980 said:

Thornily is average iorfa not proven at centre back and we light in midfield so cant see hutch playing there

Agree we're light in midfield, cm and winger wise, we're also light at lb and pace up front which is 4 positions, so hector or any other expensive cb would be a mistake imo.

After lees and borner, Iorfa reportedly prefers playing cb and its obvious he has the pace, strength and height to be a top champ cb.These 3 will likely play most games at cb this season 

Thorniley has always looked solid for us and is young so will improve if given the chance of a few games when needed.

Hutch can cover cb if needed and has played there for us before without getting injured, jp and/or a new cm can cover holding midfield positions, they will have to as hutch gets inured alot playing cm anyway!

Cb not a priority for me when we're looking at right footed left backs or fox, 4 cm's (2 are injury prone), 1 proper winger in harris and no strikers with pace!

Doubt we can sign them all so what do you really thinks more needed, a lb, cm, winger, striker or another cb in hector?

Edited by Ash77

1 minute ago, Ash77 said:

Agree we're light in midfield, cm and winger wise, we're also light at lb and pace up front which is 4 positions, so hector or any other expensive cb would be a mistake imo.

After lees and borner, Iorfa reportedly prefers playing cb and its obvious he has the pace, strength and height to be a top champ cb.These 3 will likely play most games at cb this season 

Thorniley has always looked solid for us and is young so will improve if given the chance of a few games when needed.

Hutch can cover cb if needed and has played there for us before without getting injured, jp and/or a new cm can cover holding midfield positions, they will have to as hutch gets inured alot playing cm anyway!

Cb not a priority for me when we're looking at right footed left backs or fox, 4 cm's (2 are injury prone), 1 proper winger in harris and no strikers with pace!

Doubt we can sign them all so what do you really thinks more needed, a lb, cm, winger, striker or another cb in hector?

In a ideal world id like to see winnal and rhodes go .sign hector a lb cm and try for a winger and a striker with pace on loan.hector was top draw last season 

6 minutes ago, Ash77 said:

Can moses play left back

4 hours ago, evaD said:

Obviously didn't watch us last season

I watched us in every single game last season, home & away and Palmer made the step up from woeful to being an adequate and reliable backup fullback in either position, earning himself a new contract in the process and making himself invaluable to the squad............... But that’s what he is...... a good squad player!

Palmer will always be a scapegoat but he's a solid championship full back, and weirdly he's better at LB than RB

All though I want us to improve in that area as Penney and Fox don't seem up to it.

what about going 3-5-2(ish) (if Hector signs) ??

--------Hector-Lees-Borner-------

Odujabo-----Hutch-------Reach

------------Lee---Bannan--------

Harris---Fletcher---Murphy--

3 hours ago, Rev Owl said:

As far as I can see the OP is arguing for a recognised left back to be the first choice left back. 

That's not asking for the moon is it?

I didn't think it was an unreasonable request, assuming we are actually looking to push for one of those top six places, that is.

1 hour ago, gypsyowl said:

Palmer will always be a scapegoat but he's a solid championship full back, and weirdly he's better at LB than RB

All though I want us to improve in that area as Penney and Fox don't seem up to it.

what about going 3-5-2(ish) (if Hector signs) ??

--------Hector-Lees-Borner-------

Odujabo-----Hutch-------Reach

------------Lee---Bannan--------

Harris---Fletcher---Murphy--

He's not a scapegoat. He's not being blamed for anything. He's just not very good. 

If we can get away with your 3-3-2-3 formation, I think we're golden. Most refs will spot it though. :duntmatter:

• Haha 3

3 minutes ago, McRightSide said:

Penney will do well to get in the 18 this season.

Would love to see him given fair chance this season to show what he can do playing under different manager than Luhukay. All our other players improved after he left, no reason why Penney shouldn't.

It would be interesting to see him in team playing with confidence, supporting each other and showing for the ball as opposed how we performed for 2/3'rds of last season.

Hope Wednesday will give him chance, offer support and help develop potential he certainly possesses.

26 minutes ago, malek said:

Would love to see him given fair chance this season to show what he can do playing under different manager than Luhukay. All our other players improved after he left, no reason why Penney shouldn't.

It would be interesting to see him in team playing with confidence, supporting each other and showing for the ball as opposed how we performed for 2/3'rds of last season.

Hope Wednesday will give him chance, offer support and help develop potential he certainly possesses.

Absolutely. We really need to start producing some players of our own if we want to have a sustainable competitive future. These young players of ours would get chances at your Bristol Citys, Brentfords, Peterboroughs etc, managed properly and likely sold on for a tidy profit. You get people bleating about why we never do this yet when we try they get slated & written off after a couple of bad games without people even trying to understand the reasons why. Last season Penney looked like a good prospect, his form nosedived with the rest of the team after playing far more games than he had during any season of his career. A mixture of fatigue, poor overall team form and in the end injury put the brakes on what was beginning to look like a breakthrough season for the lad and now some are happy to advance the opinion he isn’t good enough. Crazy isn’t it?

2 hours ago, malek said:

Hold up.

He did play in a team doing well with confidence and did ok. Ok enough to earn himself a new contract.

Problem is after that early promise his limitations got badly exposed and picked off game after game, he didn’t have the ability to combat it.

I’m sure he’ll find a career in the game somewhere, but not at this level.

Edited by McRightSide

Guest Ash76

So many inaccuracies in the OP. The biggest 2 are Palmer not being good enough and Fox not being able to cross, the latter is more than capable of delivering superb crosses.

Initially I thought we needed one but on reflection and without being able to move any of our existing ones out we don't need to, and won't, sign one.

This is my order for the LB spot

Palmer

Fox

Odubajo

Thorniley

Penney

Reach