Honestly guys, I think we're about there...

1 hour ago, Ellis Rimmer said:

How do you know he is no manager. I always find it bizarre when people level criticism like this seeing as you have literally no idea of whether he is a good manager or not. He's got a little trial run until Chansiri makes up his mind, if he does a good job we'll potentially save ourselves a lot of money yet have somebody competent in charge.

43 minutes ago, hangonrose said:

What makes a good manager?  Respect from the players?  He has that.  Serious commentator who understands the game?  He is that.  Rapport with the fans? Judging from the Reading celebrations he has that.  If he dares lose one game, will he be slaughtered on here?  The knives are sharpened for he who dares to lose a single game.  No pressure on Lee B, then...and he actually WANTS it, even knowing about the knives...Could make a great manager if only someone will give him the chance.  The others mentioned (mostly all out of work), don't fill me with great hope.  I go for Lee B

I don’t want to turn this into yet another Bullen debate as there are already plenty of threads for that.  But put it this way, if any other Championship team parted with their manager, how many would be speaking to Lee Bullen asking him to take charge?

I disagree with the OP that we are looking like a potential top 6 contender.  The main reason being that we haven’t got a manager.  The second reason is that I still think we’re short of the required quality in midfield and defence.  The third reason is that we have several key players that are injury prone e.g. Fletcher, Lee, Hutchinson and we don’t have the same level of quality to come in to the team as a replacement.

Just my two cents.

1 hour ago, Ellis Rimmer said:

How do you know he is no manager. I always find it bizarre when people level criticism like this seeing as you have literally no idea of whether he is a good manager or not. He's got a little trial run until Chansiri makes up his mind, if he does a good job we'll potentially save ourselves a lot of money yet have somebody competent in charge.

He had a very good trial run before tash it made no difference 

Just now, Sergeant Tibbs said:

Fair points, I think the wages could be the main issue. For me he'd be the kind of player that is worth a punt.

Don't get me wrong, wouldn't be disappointed, good player a few years ago, but bearing that in mind and our pevious recruitment of 'names' who used to be good.....makes me nervous, especially considering the wages likely to be involved.

Considering we've reportedly enquired about the villa lad on loan (Davis?) and Bullen talking about reducing the average squad age, suspect our recruitment may be focused on other players anyway. 

Even if we get Luongo, we still need another centre midfielder for me.

if Pelepussy plays many matches, we won’t come top 6.

Hutch, Luongo, Lee & Bannan competing for three places looks at LEAST one player light to me. (Would anybody be shocked if both Hutch and Lee play less than 20 matches?)

Even taking into account the versatility of Reach and possibly Hector.

Edited by HirstWhoScoredIt

2 hours ago, e6owl said:

I think with Joao gone Winnall will step into Joao's place as an impact sub. He doesn't have the stamina or persistence for a full 90 minutes, but he does bring something different, especially when chasing a match.

He’s very different to Joao. Pace power, running with ball, long shots are not really in Winalls skill set. He’s more of a Fox in the box. 

• Like 1

Tbf all this balancing of squad etc I think it’s gone other way abit we’ve got rid of a striker and possibly another but keep getting defenders we seem to be lop sides other way now. Definitely need another striker if Rhodes goes or even stays because Nuhiu ain’t a brilliant option. I’m happy with fletcher and winnall and believe still Rhodes seems like had a good pre season a few games in a row he’ll keep up the hard work. I recon we are putting fessi back upfront ?? 

4 hours ago, StudentOwl said:

And this is coming from me. In utter disbelief over what I'm about to type out on this forum considering we're (currently) managerless, considering the league position last season, considering the embargo...

But...

BUT

I think we're close to having a squad that can get promotion. With Luongo in (possibly Murphy too), Hector looking very likely... I think we're a left-footed left back and a mobile 6ft striker away from having the required strength in depth and balance capable of making waves. Don't get me wrong, I don't think we're comparatively stronger than we were when we got to the play-off finals, but I do think we have a much better balance. Being penickity, if we're going for 4-3-3 we need someone else other than Fletcher and Nuhiu able to play in the tip of that triangle. Maybe we can get lucky and sell Rhodes and bring in someone on loan of similar quality to Fletcher with a bit more pace in the legs.

With a bit of conjecture and a strong 36 hours or so I think we can honestly have a squad capable of promotion. But even if those final tweaks aren't there, it's gotta be said... considering Bruce leaving and the lack of manager and all the rest of it... we've had a pretty good transfer window. 

Im not lumping on another tip form an Owlstalker. 

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, stocksyuto said:

Agree with all of this but also if we sell Rhodes we would have room for a striker on loan

Cant go with just fletcher,winnall and nuhiu 

the strikers will not score enough,we only scored 60 last season and conceded 62 not rocket science,...unless we bring 3 quality players in before deadline

2 minutes ago, Brando17 said:

the strikers will not score enough,we only scored 60 last season and conceded 62 not rocket science,...unless we bring 3 quality players in before deadline

Can you break down those stats for Jos and after Jos.  Cheers.

3 hours ago, Westfield Owl said:

I don’t want to turn this into yet another Bullen debate as there are already plenty of threads for that.  But put it this way, if any other Championship team parted with their manager, how many would be speaking to Lee Bullen asking him to take charge?

I disagree with the OP that we are looking like a potential top 6 contender.  The main reason being that we haven’t got a manager.  The second reason is that I still think we’re short of the required quality in midfield and defence.  The third reason is that we have several key players that are injury prone e.g. Fletcher, Lee, Hutchinson and we don’t have the same level of quality to come in to the team as a replacement.

Just my two cents.

To be fair that statement could apply to any team who had to appoint a caretaker manager from within.

3 hours ago, HirstWhoScoredIt said:

Even if we get Luongo, we still need another centre midfielder for me.

if Pelepussy plays many matches, we won’t come top 6.

Hutch, Luongo, Lee & Bannan competing for three places looks at LEAST one player light to me. (Would anybody be shocked if both Hutch and Lee play less than 20 matches?)

Even taking into account the versatility of Reach and possibly Hector.

This is incredibly harsh on Joey. He is a solid player who puts a shift in, this is an over reaction.

Ideally think we need to add 4 more players. With three leaving.

Van Aken and Rhodes to be moved on. A loan move for Penney perhaps.

A squad of:

Westwood, Dawson, Jones

Odubajo, Iorfa, Lees, Hector, Thorniley, Borner, Fox, Palmer

Reach, Harris, Hutchinson, Pelupessy, Bannan, Lee, Luongo, Murphy, Forestieri

Fletcher, Nuhiu, Winnall, Davis

If we can pull of those additions I would be very confident. A quality managerial appointment and we can challenge.

Edited by SallyCinnamon

I’ve been saying for weeks that we need a B2B CM, LB, CB and a pacey winger. 

The fact the club seems to be pursuing all these ahead of deadline day reassures me MASSIVELY that neither they nor me are mad. 

Another striker (if Rhodes goes) would be cherry on top but fifth priority for me. 

4 hours ago, Westfield Owl said:

Just my two cents.

Well none would but he's not any other clubs coach so they don't know anything about him

Guest Theboylangers
3 hours ago, Brando17 said:

I agree with this. We either need to tighten up at the back or score more goals (preferably both). But right now, I can't see where the goals are coming from unless we sign a striker that can notch 15/20.