Honestly guys, I think we're about there...

59 minutes ago, StudentOwl said:

And this is coming from me. In utter disbelief over what I'm about to type out on this forum considering we're (currently) managerless, considering the league position last season, considering the embargo...

But...

BUT

I think we're close to having a squad that can get promotion. With Luongo in (possibly Murphy too), Hector looking very likely... I think we're a left-footed left back and a mobile 6ft striker away from having the required strength in depth and balance capable of making waves. Don't get me wrong, I don't think we're comparatively stronger than we were when we got to the play-off finals, but I do think we have a much better balance. Being penickity, if we're going for 4-3-3 we need someone else other than Fletcher and Nuhiu able to play in the tip of that triangle. Maybe we can get lucky and sell Rhodes and bring in someone on loan of similar quality to Fletcher with a bit more pace in the legs.

With a bit of conjecture and a strong 36 hours or so I think we can honestly have a squad capable of promotion. But even if those final tweaks aren't there, it's gotta be said... considering Bruce leaving and the lack of manager and all the rest of it... we've had a pretty good transfer window. 

It's promising mate but I have to exercise caution that with the wrong managerial appointment it will count for little. We must get the right man in. 

I'm not going to start wetting my knickers about it just yet.

But for the first time since Chansiri has been here, we seem to be buying players to fit into a system and (if rumoured deals go through) are close to having a pretty well balanced squad. 

Makes you wonder where we would be if we'd started this 4 years ago?

The elephant in the room is the manager situation.  Totally unacceptable that we haven’t sorted this out yet.

Very few teams get promoted from this league without a quality manager.  They can give you that extra 1-2% that makes the difference.

Bullen is a great guy.  But he’s no manager.  I’m not expecting a top 6 finish without one.

1 minute ago, Westfield Owl said:

The elephant in the room is the manager situation.  Totally unacceptable that we haven’t sorted this out yet.

Very few teams get promoted from this league without a quality manager.  They can give you that extra 1-2% that makes the difference.

Bullen is a great guy.  But he’s no manager.  I’m not expecting a top 6 finish without one.

How do you know he is no manager. I always find it bizarre when people level criticism like this seeing as you have literally no idea of whether he is a good manager or not. He's got a little trial run until Chansiri makes up his mind, if he does a good job we'll potentially save ourselves a lot of money yet have somebody competent in charge.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Westfield Owl said:

crybaby 2.jpg

1 hour ago, StudentOwl said:

Dom's gone and said he has a medical this morning... even with his accuracy record I'm inclined to believe he's got this one right lol 

What we bothering with a medical for? We've never bothered before.... Gerrim signed up fűčked knees or notlol

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, StudentOwl said:

And this is coming from me. In utter disbelief over what I'm about to type out on this forum considering we're (currently) managerless, considering the league position last season, considering the embargo...

But...

BUT

I think we're close to having a squad that can get promotion. With Luongo in (possibly Murphy too), Hector looking very likely... I think we're a left-footed left back and a mobile 6ft striker away from having the required strength in depth and balance capable of making waves. Don't get me wrong, I don't think we're comparatively stronger than we were when we got to the play-off finals, but I do think we have a much better balance. Being penickity, if we're going for 4-3-3 we need someone else other than Fletcher and Nuhiu able to play in the tip of that triangle. Maybe we can get lucky and sell Rhodes and bring in someone on loan of similar quality to Fletcher with a bit more pace in the legs.

With a bit of conjecture and a strong 36 hours or so I think we can honestly have a squad capable of promotion. But even if those final tweaks aren't there, it's gotta be said... considering Bruce leaving and the lack of manager and all the rest of it... we've had a pretty good transfer window. 

But being pernickety, :) .........

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, Westfield Owl said:

What makes a good manager?  Respect from the players?  He has that.  Serious commentator who understands the game?  He is that.  Rapport with the fans? Judging from the Reading celebrations he has that.  If he dares lose one game, will he be slaughtered on here?  The knives are sharpened for he who dares to lose a single game.  No pressure on Lee B, then...and he actually WANTS it, even knowing about the knives...Could make a great manager if only someone will give him the chance.  The others mentioned (mostly all out of work), don't fill me with great hope.  I go for Lee B

38 minutes ago, Westfield Owl said:

YWoi.gif

• Haha 3

2 hours ago, marcx666 said:

You know DC loves deadline day, so wouldn't surprise me if we shift Rhodes that we'd grab another striker as well, considering WInnall doesn't seem to be anywhere near the first team.

Charlie Austin available. Makes sense. Would make us a real proposition for top 6.

Tbf all this balancing of squad etc I think it’s gone other way abit we’ve got rid of a striker and possibly another but keep getting defenders we seem to be lop sides other way now. Definitely need another striker if Rhodes goes or even stays because Nuhiu ain’t a brilliant option. I’m happy with fletcher and winnall and believe still Rhodes seems like had a good pre season a few games in a row he’ll keep up the hard work. I recon we are putting fessi back upfront ?? 

15 minutes ago, Sergeant Tibbs said:

Charlie Austin available. Makes sense. Would make us a real proposition for top 6.

I'm not so sure, injury prone, last year played 26 games, his best return since 2014/15 when he played 35. Only scored 19 goals in the last 4 years. Add to that, premier league wages

Edited by striker

1 minute ago, striker said:

I'm not so sure, injury prone, last year played 26 games, his best return since 2014/15 when he played 35. Only scored 19 goals in the last 4 years. Add to that, premier league wages

Fair points, I think the wages could be the main issue. For me he'd be the kind of player that is worth a punt.