Honestly guys, I think we're about there...

Just now, Tamworthowl said:

Is Luongo a near certain?

Ive only seen the one tweet, which included the Murphy link. Not enough to convince me, but I accept that I'm rarely up to speed.

Dom's gone and said he has a medical this morning... even with his accuracy record I'm inclined to believe he's got this one right lol 

I  don’t honestly think anyone apart from the blue side of Sheffield sees it that way what so ever. Bookies have us 6th favourites to go down, and other fans don’t care we reached the play offs for 2 years on the trot, our squad has aged and has barely improved since that point, other sides in the league are spending stupid money and signing some top quality players. The league gets harder every year I don’t see us pushing the top 6 , even though I would give my right arm if we did. Fingers crossed your right.

Edited by Woodie

3 minutes ago, StudentOwl said:

Dom's gone and said he has a medical this morning... even with his accuracy record I'm inclined to believe he's got this one right lol 

Be fair, Doms probably referring to his QPR medical when he came from Swindon

• Haha 1

I think a lot of it has to do with attitude week in week out. The desire to win and the ability to put everything on the line. 

That can't come from the players names on 'paper'. That can only come from the belief in the coaching team and the embedded attitude of a tight knit group. We've not had it at all for a few years. This year does look like we've got thst togetherness back. 

Where are the goals going to come from?

not from fletcher and Nuihu.

They’ll be lucky to get 15 in the league between them.. if Rhodes goes that leaves forriistieri who’s out  for 6 games.

the clubs who go up tend to have prolific strikers... pukki and sharp last season.

If we’re getting a manager in we need him now so he can pick his players to fetch in..

6 minutes ago, Woodie said:

I  don’t honestly think anyone apart from the blue side of Sheffield sees it that way what so ever. Bookies have us 6th favourites to go down, and other fans don’t care we reached the play offs for 2 years on the trot, our squad has aged and has barely improved since that point, other sides in the league are spending stupid money and signing some top quality players. The league gets harder every year I don’t see us pushing the top 6 , even though I would give my right arm if we did. Fingers crossed your right.

Which bookies have us 6th favourites to go down? 

The Luongo signing looks to me like a Bruce signing for this league and sounds as though been planned for a while. Whatver the fault of Bruce he knew the shape of a team you need to do well in this league and it seems we are following on with his building plans which is sensible.  I think if we had a pacy striker to rival Fletcher we are very close. I still have hopes for Penney as he put in some excellent performances at left back and would like to see him given another try. 

It would not surprise me to see a few go out on loan.

23 minutes ago, StudentOwl said:

And this is coming from me. In utter disbelief over what I'm about to type out on this forum considering we're (currently) managerless, considering the league position last season, considering the embargo...

But...

BUT

I think we're close to having a squad that can get promotion. With Luongo in (possibly Murphy too), Hector looking very likely... I think we're a left-footed left back and a mobile 6ft striker away from having the required strength in depth and balance capable of making waves. Don't get me wrong, I don't think we're comparatively stronger than we were when we got to the play-off finals, but I do think we have a much better balance. Being penickity, if we're going for 4-3-3 we need someone else other than Fletcher and Nuhiu able to play in the tip of that triangle. Maybe we can get lucky and sell Rhodes and bring in someone on loan of similar quality to Fletcher with a bit more pace in the legs.

With a bit of conjecture and a strong 36 hours or so I think we can honestly have a squad capable of promotion. But even if those final tweaks aren't there, it's gotta be said... considering Bruce leaving and the lack of manager and all the rest of it... we've had a pretty good transfer window. 

totally agree!, best squad we've had in ages if these rumoured deals come off.

26 minutes ago, StudentOwl said:

And this is coming from me. In utter disbelief over what I'm about to type out on this forum considering we're (currently) managerless, considering the league position last season, considering the embargo...

But...

BUT

I think we're close to having a squad that can get promotion. With Luongo in (possibly Murphy too), Hector looking very likely... I think we're a left-footed left back and a mobile 6ft striker away from having the required strength in depth and balance capable of making waves. Don't get me wrong, I don't think we're comparatively stronger than we were when we got to the play-off finals, but I do think we have a much better balance. Being penickity, if we're going for 4-3-3 we need someone else other than Fletcher and Nuhiu able to play in the tip of that triangle. Maybe we can get lucky and sell Rhodes and bring in someone on loan of similar quality to Fletcher with a bit more pace in the legs.

With a bit of conjecture and a strong 36 hours or so I think we can honestly have a squad capable of promotion. But even if those final tweaks aren't there, it's gotta be said... considering Bruce leaving and the lack of manager and all the rest of it... we've had a pretty good transfer window. 

Good post. Thats how I see it. 

Just now, shandypants said:

I think Fletcher is key now Joao has left. I would like to see someone brought in that could compete with Fletcher. 

somebody to compliment Fletcher, he's one of the best in the division so we shouldn't be looking to leave him on the bench

• Haha 1

We need some good fortune on the injury front this season and hopefully the new fitness guy can clear a lot of that up. If we get injuries we may struggle to compete but our strongest first 11 I’d fancy to beat anyone on the day in our league.

Just now, Ellis Rimmer said:

somebody to compliment Fletcher, he's one of the best in the division so we shouldn't be looking to leave him on the bench

We could do with someone to compliment Fletcher but we also need another tall mobile forward of the “Fletcher” ilk for when Fletcher is out through injury or suspension. 

Just now, shandypants said:

We could do with someone to compliment Fletcher but we also need another tall mobile forward of the “Fletcher” ilk for when Fletcher is out through injury or suspension. 

We have Nuhiu for that. If that's not Nuhiu's job then he shouldn't be at the club

• Like 1