Honestly guys, I think we're about there...

And this is coming from me. In utter disbelief over what I'm about to type out on this forum considering we're (currently) managerless, considering the league position last season, considering the embargo...

But...

BUT

I think we're close to having a squad that can get promotion. With Luongo in (possibly Murphy too), Hector looking very likely... I think we're a left-footed left back and a mobile 6ft striker away from having the required strength in depth and balance capable of making waves. Don't get me wrong, I don't think we're comparatively stronger than we were when we got to the play-off finals, but I do think we have a much better balance. Being penickity, if we're going for 4-3-3 we need someone else other than Fletcher and Nuhiu able to play in the tip of that triangle. Maybe we can get lucky and sell Rhodes and bring in someone on loan of similar quality to Fletcher with a bit more pace in the legs.

With a bit of conjecture and a strong 36 hours or so I think we can honestly have a squad capable of promotion. But even if those final tweaks aren't there, it's gotta be said... considering Bruce leaving and the lack of manager and all the rest of it... we've had a pretty good transfer window. 

• Like 3

Just now, Buddy Repperton said:

Way too early to say as we haven't really seen what the other clubs have to offer imo! 

I get that, totally fair enough, maybe I'm getting giddy... but (in my head anyways) we know roughly how good a side has to be to get into the play offs, and IMO we're there. You compare our balance to any time over the last 4/5 years, and I'd say in terms of complementary attributes between players (while still being able to contribute to a similiar "gameplan"), and I'm struggling to recall us being any more balanced.

Reyt chuffed

• Like 1

If we bring in a CM, a winger and a CB then I think we are in with a shout. 

This is a very open division this season, perhaps the most open it has been in years. 

Very early days though. 

Edited by SiJ

1 minute ago, StudentOwl said:

I get that, totally fair enough, maybe I'm getting giddy... but (in my head anyways) we know roughly how good a side has to be to get into the play offs, and IMO we're there. You compare our balance to any time over the last 4/5 years, and I'd say in terms of complementary attributes between players (while still being able to contribute to a similiar "gameplan"), and I'm struggling to recall us being any more balanced.

Reyt chuffed

Totally agree mate, after the sh!tty mess we've had to deal with recently, definitely seeing signs of improvement, fingers firmly crossed!! 

6 minutes ago, marcx666 said:

You know DC loves deadline day, so wouldn't surprise me if we shift Rhodes that we'd grab another striker as well, considering WInnall doesn't seem to be anywhere near the first team.

I think with Joao gone Winnall will step into Joao's place as an impact sub. He doesn't have the stamina or persistence for a full 90 minutes, but he does bring something different, especially when chasing a match.

2 minutes ago, Tamworthowl said:

So "we're about there", but we need

Luongo

Murphy

Hector

A left footed left back

A mobile 6 ft striker.

Thats "quite a way off" for me.

Luongo and Hector seem certs. Murphy eh, take or leave, would be great

But that leaves just two players to get IMO, left back and striker (striker on the assumption Rhodes is out the door and we can get someone better at the lone role). I haven't felt that we're that close to having a promotion capable squad since the day after Wembley. 

3 minutes ago, e6owl said:

I think with Joao gone Winnall will step into Joao's place as an impact sub. He doesn't have the stamina or persistence for a full 90 minutes, but he does bring something different, especially when chasing a match.

Aye, the ability to generally not look like a footballer lol

Wouldn't be confident of promotion, but Hector, Luongo, Murphy in, Rhodes out and possibly another pacey forward in and think we will have an improved and more balanced squad, with a better chance of being top 6. Subject of course to the right managerial  appointment.

We're certainly moving in the right direction, despite being dealt a body blow with Bruce leaving. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, StudentOwl said:

Luongo and Hector seem certs. Murphy eh, take or leave, would be great

But that leaves just two players to get IMO, left back and striker (striker on the assumption Rhodes is out the door and we can get someone better at the lone role). I haven't felt that we're that close to having a promotion capable squad since the day after Wembley. 

Is Luongo a near certain?

Ive only seen the one tweet, which included the Murphy link. Not enough to convince me, but I accept that I'm rarely up to speed.