Borukov

There should be a steady progession through the ranks for junior players. Rushing them is usually a mistake. There are exceptions like Rooney but generally U18, if they do ok then U23, if they do well at that level by all means loan them out at a lower level and see how they do. Move them up the leagues as they prove themselves and finally as squad players in the first team until they break through.

Some can stand the pressure but most fail.

10 hours ago, HirstWhoScoredIt said:

If we let Rhodes go, we will have Fletcher, Winnall, Nuhiu and Forestieri competing for one place.  I don’t see the issue.

one place? does that mean jos is back and we play only 1 upfront and other 10 guarding our goal? forestieri will be starting his 6 game ban soon then will be sidelined for 6 weeks with injury , fletcher cant play midweek as well as wkd that's a fact what bullen,bruce etc have all said . so you are left with winnall and nuhiu upfront that will happen in about 2 weeks when we have a midweek home game ,that simply isn't good enough and any hopes of top 6 would be over. but lets see what happens in next 24 hours even a winger what can play up front would solve this issue. 

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, kendoddsdadsdogsdead said:

Sorry Ellis, but you can throw some of them in. Remember a couple of years ago against Ipswich, young Andre Dozzell came on aged 16 and scored against us. What about young Elliott at Fulham, who played in a cup game aged 15 and is now at Liverpool. Yes, you take a chance, but it does sometimes pay off.

I remember a young kid playing for Everton around 20 years ago & looking the business. He looked like he was made for the biggest stage & would become a world class player breaking scoring records for club & country.

That young kid was Franny Jeffers.

Just now, Yellowbelly said:

I remember a young kid playing for Everton around 20 years ago & looking the business. He looked like he was made for the biggest stage & would become a world class player breaking scoring records for club & country.

That young kid was Franny Jeffers.

Sorry, I meant “that young kid was Wayne Rooney”

sorry about that.

23 hours ago, kendoddsdadsdogsdead said:

It's amazing how many people do not want to give our younger players a chance. Look at Leicester City. Chilwell, Ndidi, Maddison, Tielemans , Pereira, Barnes, Gray, Choudhary. The vast majority of them are 23 and under, with Pereira I think being 25. They are the future of Leicester City.

We have youngsters who Jos blooded so to speak, and there was a good deal to like about a couple, Thorniley, Penney, O'Grady. Our financial constraints mean we shoukd be looking at getting our youngsters more exposure and experience, either by being in and around the match day squad or going out on loan.

My point in respect of Borukov is that with Joao leaving, Rhodes possibly following, FF possibly getting his ban soon, we are thin on strikers, and with the transfer deadline looming, and no guarantee that we could get a decent player or two in, Borokov is someone who we could look to promote from within.

None of us can state with any certainty whether a young player is ready or not, some may take to it like a duck to water, others maybe not so, but we should at least explore the possibility of it happening surely.

O'Grady?  He got released.

People are way off the mark, if they believe Borukov is ready for the first team.

How many goals do people think he scored for the U23's last season? 10? 15? For an 18 year old in a struggling U23's side that would be pretty good.

Here's a little write up about how the 23's performed last season:

After finishing just a point short of the title and six goals short of the
playoffs in 2017-18, Sheffield Wednesday will have gone into this season
hopeful of another strong campaign, especially as they were able to
return a considerable number of the same players. It didn’t quite work
out that way, though, as a slow start to affairs and an inability to win more
than two matches in succession left them well off the pace.
A big reason for their struggles was their lack of goals; while they were
able to spread them around eighteen different players, none of them
managed more than three, and one of those was George Boyd, among
several first-teamers who dropped down on occasion. They’ll try again in
2019-20.

Under-23s

Top Goalscorer - 3 Goals
Three Players

Most Appearances - 23

Connor Kirby

One To Watch – Ben Hughes

A right-back or central midfielder who thrives in either position, the
former Manchester City schoolboy was the epitome of consistency in his

first full season at Under-23 level. Having scored 11 goals for the Under-
18s in 2017-18, the next challenge is to increase his return at this level.

The lad has many decent attributes but too many people get carried away when they hear a young player has played for his country at U15,16,17,18 or U19 level. Believe me, they are miles off being able to compete with seasoned professionals. Especially in forward positions. 

Look at players like Conor Grant or Issac Rice to break through before this lad does. 

I reckon Hagan might get opportunities in the U23's this season. He's raw but i'd bank on him scoring more goals at that level than Borukov and Damba if given a run of 15 games. The kid is lightning probably and quickest player at the club.

Just my opinion.

EDIT: Borukov

Here's his career stats:

Period Club Country Current/Last Matches Goals
2018 (Jul) - Now Sheffield Wednesday FC - U23 England  England   29 7
2016 (Jul) - 2018 (Jun) Sheffield Wednesday FC - U18 England  England   43 14
2015 (Jul) - 2016 (Jun) PFC Levski Sofia - U17 Bulgaria  Bulgaria   36 21
2013 (Jul) - 2015 (Jun) PFC Levski Sofia - U15 Bulgaria  Bulgaria   50 69
Edited by Youth Hawker