Bullen's 4-3-3

19 hours ago, RUMBELOWS91 said:

I think Bullen is.now a strong favourite for the job and 4-3-3 seems to be his preferred formation. 

So, assuming Hector signs and that's the end of our business, what's out strongest side when everyone is fit and firing?

Westwood

Iorfa          Lees           Hector        Odubajo

Hutch

Lee           Bannan

Reach          Fletcher         Harris

That leaves as back ups ..  .

Dawson

Palmer        Borner       Thorniley       Fox

Pulupessey

-----------                -----------

--------   Nuhiu/Winnall/Rhodes    FF

So still a little heavy on central strikers and in need of another ball player in midfield and a right sided forward.

Reach can drop into a 3 if we lose Lee or Bannan, but we are extremely threadbare in that department. You can see why we looked at getting Onomah back.

Do we think FF could play on the right? He had a brief fun there v Espanyol.

Do we think FF could play on the right? He had a brief fun there v Espanyol.

I'm sure he could play as an orthodox winger on his preferred foot on the right. 

It's weather or not he can be persuaded to play there if he dosnet want to which is the problem. 

I was an advocate under Carlos of playing 

Mattias.      Joao.       Nando 

As a three, but remember him pulling a strop about playing wide on the left as he wanted to be our smallest ever center forward. lol

19 hours ago, sherlyegg said:

Some want Rowett, his Derby side were also turned over by 2nd bottom Burton Albion later that year. (Though they only lost 3-1)

But looking at it on the bright side, Jos would join us not long after.lol

A human wardrobe with legs waltzed through 4 of our players that day and scored in front of the Kop.

It does look like a 4-3-3, or maybe 4-5-1 is going to be the preference. Can any of the other forwards play the lone striker role? It doesn't seem to be Rhodes thing, and I can't see Nuhui doing this, or Foresteiri.

So, if Fletcher is injured (or when), wither someone who can't play the role, or switch to a 4-4-2

25 minutes ago, ashamanic said:

It does look like a 4-3-3, or maybe 4-5-1 is going to be the preference. Can any of the other forwards play the lone striker role? It doesn't seem to be Rhodes thing, and I can't see Nuhui doing this, or Foresteiri.

So, if Fletcher is injured (or when), wither someone who can't play the role, or switch to a 4-4-2

The strange thing is, Rhodes played pretty much as a lone forward throughout his best ever season at this level for Blackburn. 28 goals in 12/13 with Rochina behind him most weeks. 

He hasnt looked at all capable of playing that role for us. Has the game really moved on that much?

I remember under Carlos we tried to play 433 - distinctly remember Sougou scoring at one of our first games under Carlos. It never really worked, seemed too rigid or players not confident with the system. 

For those that went today, what was the difference to then and now? More pace out wide? Better press? More fluidity regarding positions? 

I’ve been to both games now and the difference for me is the pure pace we now have our wide

Harris has scared both Readings and Barnsley’s full back whether he gets the ball to feet or over the top. Now we’ve added Murphy we ha e pace on both sides and also both wide men want to run and beat a man. Both of them attract 2 men to them every time they get the ball allowing space for others

We also now have lots of options on the bench 

it’s only two games against two bottom end teams but we do look a very good side 

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, CalmJimmers said:

I remember under Carlos we tried to play 433 - distinctly remember Sougou scoring at one of our first games under Carlos. It never really worked, seemed too rigid or players not confident with the system. 

For those that went today, what was the difference to then and now? More pace out wide? Better press? More fluidity regarding positions? 

I think pace is the big factor. I think the tactics are very different to how Carlos played, we are much more direct than we was under Carlos. It allowed to be compact without the ball but press when we needed too. 

Bruce’s plan this season was clearly to go 4-4-2. Played that way most of the tail end of last season and in all god friendlies. 

Credit to Bullen for seeing this could lead to us getting over powered in midfield and tweaking things. 4-3-3 is the way to go in my opinion as it allows three of our best players (Hutch/Lee/Bannan) to play in their very best positions and also have two wingers. 

Also so if you read his autobiography it’s clear this is the kind of football he likes and AVB is one manager he has met who he expresses admiration for having played a high press. 

3 minutes ago, beloved_aunt said:

Bruce’s plan this season was clearly to go 4-4-2. Played that way most of the tail end of last season and in all god friendlies. 

Credit to Bullen for seeing this could lead to us getting over powered in midfield and tweaking things. 4-3-3 is the way to go in my opinion as it allows three of our best players (Hutch/Lee/Bannan) to play in their very best positions and also have two wingers. 

Also so if you read his autobiography it’s clear this is the kind of football he likes and AVB is one manager he has met who he expresses admiration for having played a high press. 

And with the addition of Luongo he has the players to make this work week after week.

CDMs Hutch, Luongo, Joey

AMs Bannan, Lee, Luongo, Reach

• Like 1

Still don’t like Palmer at LB, but other than that 4-3-3 seems to work with the players we have. I’d like to see a 4-4-2 with Fletch and Rhodes but atm he’s not gonna change a winning formula. However, if Fletch misses any games I don’t see anyone capable of standing in for him in that 4 3 3

If BB is out for a while he might struggle to get back in the side. The new Aussie lad looks good and is the kind of box to box player we’ve been missing in recent years. I see a midfield of him , maybe Hutch or Lee and Reach with Harris and Murphy supporting Fletch. 

But it the beauty is we have options now. Different layers that can play different styles, it’s really up to Bullen (he’s obvs gonna get the job) to use them wisely. 

Edited by Essix Blue

3 minutes ago, deano said:

I think it's likely Harris or Murphy will drop to the bench against Millwall. 

Be very harsh but can't see both starting away from home. 

Possibly but hope not. Let them worry about us rather than us picking a team to contain them.

4-3-3 can quite easily become 4-5-1 to pack the midfield with fast pacy wingers hitting on the counter.

5 minutes ago, GMOwl72 said:

Possibly but hope not. Let them worry about us rather than us picking a team to contain them.

4-3-3 can quite easily become 4-5-1 to pack the midfield with fast pacy wingers hitting on the counter.

I don't disagree, I just think that's what we will do. 

1 minute ago, deano said:

I don't disagree, I just think that's what we will do. 

Wouldn’t bet against it although Reach could possibly be the fall guy with Bannan back in to help us keep the ball better and Murphy and Harris up and down out wide. In Bullen we Trust!