Joao and Rhodes Out But Who Do You Want In?

Newcastle LB back on loan - Marshall on a free if not. 

Hector in on a permanent contract (circa £5m I expect)

Pigott in from AFC Wimbledon at circa £250k

Last minute loan of a young right-footed speedster from Prem needing experience and proven defensive midfielder fit but needing game time (Huddleston?) hopefully a possibility. Loan market is where we miss Brucey's contacts and judgement as to what is needed at Championship level.

Hope we can ship out Fox, Baker, Van Aken, Nuhiu or Winnall for modest fees (unlikely I know) and find Thornily, Penney and a few others loan experience to give them game time until January. I'm surprised the latter 2 haven't been closer to match day squad so far this season.

Natural left back (Stephen Kingsley)

Centre back to add competition and quality (Michael Hector)

Centre midfield as if we get and injury to the current three we are really short (Nana Boateng)

Winger because Harris made a MASSIVE difference on Saturday but if he gets injured we’re back to square one (Bolasie, Maddison, Sako)

Unpopular but forget hector, other areas a priority imo.

We have borner and iorfa on top of lees, thorniley and jva (last resort but possible emergency def mid too), hutch can play cb too, thats 6 cb's!

So if joao and rhodes go a pacy premier loan striker as well as left back a priority, pacy winger and energetic cm, 4 players imo

6 minutes ago, evaD said:

What worries me is that if we are truly in the market for 3 or 4 new signings, we would be getting linked with every player going. But Hector aside, we're not

It is strangely quiet on players being linked. Would it surprise anyone if we don’t bring anyone in? 

Unless we’ve identified a young striker from abroad, I’m struggling to see who realistically we can bring in after the potential departures of Joao and Rhodes.

If Borner and Lees form a good pairing, do we need to spend good dough on a central defender? So maybe possibly not go for Hector?

Surely it has to be loans and freebies for a while until finances are on an even keel again? And young, hungry, keen, athletic players not has beens?

Edited by theowlsman

Just now, theowlsman said:

Unless we’ve identified a young striker from abroad, I’m struggling to see who realistically we can bring in after the potential departures of Joao and Rhodes.

If Borner and Lees form a good pairing, do we need to spend good dough on a central defender?

Surely it has to be loans and freebies for a while until finances are on an even keel again?

I would say yes if it’s Hector, as he can also play midfield As good as Lees and Börner were on Saturday, Hector is better than either of them He also gives us something we will need against more physical sides than Reading, an aerial dominance. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

I want someone exotic who I've never heard of, looks great on their YouTube highlights reel, runs around like a headless chicken but scores a belter on their debut, then settles into a lengthy rut of mediocrity thereafter.

Sometimes the old ways are the best.

what about time out with injuries, he'll needs loads of them.

if he's 'exotic' and we stick to the 'usual plan' he'll be available in august up to bonfire night, and again from mid march to the end of the season, with a 'worldy' scored in each part so some of our supporters can claim he's worth sticking with.

OH! I nearly forgot, he'll be able to 'duck out of making a tackle'.

We'll not be signing a striker unless a third one leaves. We're also currently playing with only one upfront.

If I remember rightly Bullen identified three key areas; CB, CM and a Winger. So Hector fits in with that.

There is still the chance that others may leave; Van Aken, Baker etc.

We need midfield cover. I've identified our targets. 

For Bannan, the little playmaker at Stoke, Ryan Woods.

For Lee, the Reading player, John Swift.

For Hutchinson, he was on loan in the champ last year, I don't think its far fetched. Andy King

CM x 2 - Priority being a tough DM tackler and a box -to-box CM as Lee and Hutchinson will breakdown at some point - knowing our luck at the same time. We are then 2 starting CM's short, with only makeshift replacements.

LB - A strong recognised left back, Fox isn't particularly brilliant and Palmer isn't a left back.

CF - A pacey goal scoring striker in the mould of Gayle at Newcastle. 

CB - Hector - if Borner and Lees are playing well as a partnership then is Hector a priority over the above. A nice luxury to have but not a priority.

2 minutes ago, RolandWaddle said:

We'll not be signing a striker unless a third one leaves. We're also currently playing with only one upfront.

If I remember rightly Bullen identified three key areas; CB, CM and a Winger. So Hector fits in with that.

There is still the chance that others may leave; Van Aken, Baker etc.

Although we did have four on the bench on Saturday, though I agree, that was probably a bit overkill