Bristol City in for Rhodes!

5 minutes ago, oh_weds_we_love_you said:

Nuhiu won't ever be sold for the money Rhodes has - nor will he ever be sold for what Rhodes goes for from Wednesday.

Keep spinning Nuhiu is better than Rhodes.

Nuhiu has outscored Rhodes in the last 2 years. :laugh:

If he's as good as you claim that should not have even come close to happening. Remember, he "guarantees goals" TM (well, as long as 539 other factors are EXACTLY as he wants them in Narnia).

Just now, DJMortimer said:

Nuhiu has outscored Rhodes in the last 2 years. :laugh:

If he's as good as you claim that should not have even come close to happening. Remember, he "guarantees goals" TM (well, as long as 539 other factors are EXACTLY as he wants them in Narnia).

Aye, Nuhiu is better than Rhodes. Keep believing it, it might come true one day (it won't)! :laugh:

Still insist Centre Forward is a position we need to recruit for.

If Rhodes goes, and I’m not against it so long as we get fair value, we should keep João (even if he wants out) and look to ship Winnall or Nuhiu. FF is hit and miss and Fletcher needs 5 chances to score one. 

We have 6 forwards and none will fire us into the PL.

2 minutes ago, oh_weds_we_love_you said:

Aye, Nuhiu is better than Rhodes. Keep believing it, it might come true one day (it won't)! :laugh:

According to many, rating strikers is JUST about goals scored (I actually don't subscribe to that as it's much too simplistic). So on their own terms, the facts of the last two years speak for themselves.

4 minutes ago, billyblack said:

Doesnt matter, rhodes will be gone today or tomorrow. Thankfully

Hopefully, we can't carry his salary nor afford to be strangled by the remaining fee we've still got to pay out for him. Plus, he's not cut out to be effective in the set up we went with vs Reading, so it's even more important he's moved on.

19 minutes ago, oh_weds_we_love_you said:

Nuhiu won't ever be sold for the money Rhodes has - nor will he ever be sold for what Rhodes goes for from Wednesday.

Keep spinning Nuhiu is better than Rhodes.

Struggling with the logic there.

We need money in from transfers, so Rhodes is the obvious candidate of the 2 (for the reason you actually state).

Given Atty has a better goal/minute ratio then he's the one to keep, especially as he's the only one to fill Fletch's role, wether subbing or likely injured.

1 minute ago, Ray Von shabba said:

Struggling with the logic there.

We need money in from transfers, so Rhodes is the obvious candidate of the 2 (for the reason you actually state).

Given Atty has a better goal/minute ratio then he's the one to keep, especially as he's the only one to fill Fletch's role, wether subbing or likely injured.

Indeed, we need money from transfers so we are selling the striker(s) who are actually generating interest from other clubs. Strikers that tend to generate interest are usually the better ones.

We can't sell Nuhiu if no-one is interested in him, can we? So, it's not like we even have a choice here.

Joao is the replacement for Fletcher - if he stays. If Joao goes, we need another striker.

4 minutes ago, DJMortimer said:

According to many, rating strikers is JUST about goals scored (I actually don't subscribe to that as it's much too simplistic). So on their own terms, the facts of the last two years speak for themselves.

The fact of the matter is that last season,   Jordan Rhodes was playing for Norwich City, not Sheffield Wednesday.

It makes it very difficult to score goals for your own club if you are playing for someone else, often as a substitute .

Unlike you, I rate Jordan Rhodes , highly, but even he,  will never be able to score from the substitutes bench.

12 minutes ago, np pontefract said:

The fact of the matter is that last season,   Jordan Rhodes was playing for Norwich City, not Sheffield Wednesday.

It makes it very difficult to score goals for your own club if you are playing for someone else, often as a substitute .

Unlike you, I rate Jordan Rhodes , highly, but even he,  will never be able to score from the substitutes bench.

Their appearance records aren't all that different in that time.

Given the respective reputations of these two players back in 2016, the fact that Nuhiu is anywhere near Rhodes in his scoring record of the last 2-3 years is pretty remarkable and speaks volumes for how far the latter has fallen.

As for rating him, I'd be interested what you've made of Rhodes' consistent inability to take on an opponent with the ball, feebly falling onto the floor in the hope of winning a free kick and his abject failure at the one thing he was supposed to make a big difference at - taking scoring opportunities.

58 minutes ago, DJMortimer said:

Other traits like - making running look really difficult, jumping to a height that is lower than when you don't jump, beeping when you turn so as not to knock kids down, and being tall - all these make Nuhiu a world beater.   

10 minutes ago, Andrew6666 said:

Other traits like - making running look really difficult, jumping to a height that is lower than when you don't jump, beeping when you turn so as not to knock kids down, and being tall - all these make Nuhiu a world beater.   

Criticism of other players when discussing the 'merits' of Rhodes only go to highlight the lengths some will go to in order to divert attention from his plummet from grace this last 3-4 years.

Can you imagine the reaction back in January 2017 if someone had suggested that the two would have similar playing time, yet Nuhiu would get the most goals? :laugh: Yet that is what has happened. 

40 minutes ago, DJMortimer said:

Their appearance records aren't all that different in that time.

Given the respective reputations of these two players back in 2016, the fact that Nuhiu is anywhere near Rhodes in his scoring record of the last 2-3 years is pretty remarkable and speaks volumes for how far the latter has fallen.

As for rating him, I'd be interested what you've made of Rhodes' consistent inability to take on an opponent with the ball, feebly falling onto the floor in the hope of winning a free kick and his abject failure at the one thing he was supposed to make a big difference at - taking scoring opportunities.

Blimey, you don't seem to like Jordan Rhodes, do you.

Has he cuckolded you or something ?

lol

• Haha 1

30 minutes ago, jonnyowl said:

Bristol have just sold Webster for £20m they have the cash get them to spend it!

Be dissapointed if Rhodes goes, might leave us light upfront, but least get at least £6m for him!

lol         lol

I would take £0.5 million for him as at token to get his wages off our books.

Middlesborough had our pants down. Time we accepted that and that Rhodes has no appeal to other clubs on the wages he demands and the fee that we are trying to recoup. 

7 minutes ago, Bannofan said:

lol         lol

I would take £0.5 million for him as at token to get his wages off our books.

Middlesborough had our pants down. Time we accepted that and that Rhodes has no appeal to other clubs on the wages he demands and the fee that we are trying to recoup. 

Not totally disagreeing with you, but we know Bristol have just got £20m from Webster so let's try and have their pants down!

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, DJMortimer said:

Criticism of other players when discussing the 'merits' of Rhodes only go to highlight the lengths some will go to in order to divert attention from his plummet from grace this last 3-4 years.

Can you imagine the reaction back in January 2017 if someone had suggested that the two would have similar playing time, yet Nuhiu would get the most goals? :laugh: Yet that is what has happened. 

I'm no fan of an under-performing Rhodes either - I'm just a realist who sees one player being linked (wanted) with multiple clubs for a transfer (fee) with a proven record and potential of getting more goals in the future and the other being Nuhiu (who has actually played for us and not been out on loan), who is laughed at by a large percentage of his own fanbase, yet given the sympathy and pity vote by the rest.

My opinion is that 'demand' from other clubs in any player is a pretty good indicator of how good they potentially are.

10 minutes ago, np pontefract said:

Blimey, you don't seem to like Jordan Rhodes, do you.

Has he cuckolded you or something ?

lol

The facts are the facts...

On 01/08/2019 at 19:36, DJMortimer said:

I still maintain that judging strikers in this way is a fool's errand, as typified by the Arsenal career of Dennis Bergkamp, who their supporter's only judged as their second best player ever. It's more legitimate than usual here because Rhodes is so frequently measured by nothing more than his goals return (a reflection of how limited his overall game is). But for what it's worth, these are the minutes per league goal statistics for our forwards in their entire Wednesday career according to whoscored.com...

MINUTES PER GOAL                              

Gary Hooper                  199.9

Fernando Forestieri     208.2

Lucas Joao                    232.9

Steven Fletcher           242.0

Sam Winnall                  294.3

Atdhe Nuhiu                 316.9

Marco Matias               329.3

Jordan Rhodes            370.9

And whilst I'm at it, we can also look at how much of an impact these players have when it comes to creating scoring chances for others...

MINUTES PER ASSIST

Gary Hooper                    499.8

Atdhe Nuhiu                     538.7

Lucas Joao                       582.3

Fernando Forestieri       659.4

Steven Fletcher           1,161.4

Sam Winnall                  1,177.0

Marco Matias               1,482.0

Jordan Rhodes            1,483.5

"Guarantees goals" TM eh? :ph34r:

...and that doesn't take into account the disastrous financial consequences of signing someone we didn't even need in the first place.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1