Joao to Reading is close according to Dom

mismanaged by successive managers in CC and JL, playing him out of position too often and destroying his confidence.

Talented player and one of the few that can get you out of your expensive seat.

I for one am disappointed but we only have ourselves to blame that we've had to let 2 strikers with a little bit of 'X Factor' go and we're still stuck with Rhodes and Winnall.

Looking at how we set up against Reading I'd expect us to play much of the season like that, it accommodates our best players in their best positions. Selling Joao leaves us needing to replace him with another forward that can play the lone striker role IMO.

Does depend on whats being offered. Also raises the question of is the sale being sanctioned by our prospective new manager or is someone else deciding this.

Edited by Morepork

Guest Jack the Hat
6 hours ago, IWEDFM said:

Not happy to be honest

He scores goals and offers us something different

Would have rather we sold Winnall/Rhodes/Nuhiu

^^^^100% this. I just don’t get it. The more strikers we sell the more game time nuhui gets. Yes we had too many strikers but we look like getting rid of Hooper, Rhodes and Joao but keeping winnall and Nuhui. Big mistake

Edited by Jack the Hat

5 hours ago, DuttyTeabags said:

Gutted, one of few players who can genuinely make you say wow and 16 goals from bench shows he can change games. 

Just hoping we offload Rhodes too and can get another pacey forward in, just Winnall and Nuhiu off the bench is not dynamic enough... 

7m, 50pc up front would be 3.5m into coffers and 1m off wages. Assume Rhodes 3m 50pc up front 1.5m and 2m wages saved. 

Plus Bruce 3.5m would be net swing of 11.5m plus 7m saved on others who left, total trimming of 18m would take us down from red into orange zone at least... 

How depressing is that though? Two strikers & a manager gone & we’re just....ok?

20 minutes ago, james o connor said:

Be a bit disappointed as he’s our only striker with any pace, Rhodes , nuihu and fletcher possibly being the three slowest forwards in the league. Having said that , he flatters to deceive more often than not . If it’s a good offer and we are going to reinvest elsewhere than it could be good business all round 

Am i missing something or is Fletcher not slow at all? I'm not saying he's got pace like Joao but I don't see him as slow. He's as strong as an ox and a powerful runner with the ball.

Joaos debut at Hillsborough against Bristol City... kicked the ball past a defender who he gave a ten yard start, put on the afterburners and the defender was nowhere in the frame when Joao next touched it. For whatever reason we haven't seen enough of this, rather lots of tippy, tappy touches through which he effectively neutralises his own pace. When it's good, it's good (Reading on Saturday when he looked pretty unplayable)... when it's bad, it's very bad (pick any number of games).

He'll thrive under a Manager who picks him up top (or out wide as part of a front three but tells him not to worry about defending too much) and reminds him less is more... one touch to get it past the defender, a second to steady himself and a third to put it in the net - a bit like harris' goal. it really should be that simple for him.

Guest wilyfox
28 minutes ago, RUMBELOWS91 said:

mismanaged by successive managers in CC and JL, playing him out of position too often and destroying his confidence.

Talented player and one of the few that can get you out of your expensive seat.

I for one am disappointed but we only have ourselves to blame that we've had to let 2 strikers with a little bit of 'X Factor' go and we're still stuck with Rhodes and Winnall.

Disagree. Joao's best form came under Jos. His scoring record in 2018 was his peak here.  He scored 15 goals in 2018 under JL. 

Edited by wilyfox