Joao to Reading is close according to Dom

6 minutes ago, Utah Owl said:

I'll be livid if the fee is undisclosed because that usually means we've been shafted (again).

I think the technique is used where possible to keep the expenditure “low key” in terms of other clubs knowing you have a bit of wad. It always comes out eventually, frustrating but understandable. Or, it’s exactly as you said. WTF:

Edited by Morepork

Just now, Morepork said:

I think the technique is used where possible to keep the expenditure “low key” in terms of other clubs knowing you have a bit of wad. It always comes out eventually, frustrating but understandable.

Only in our case it has always meant we got far less than we were hoping for or had been led to believe.

I honestly don't have a problem with selling Joao, or anyone for that matter, just as long as we get a very good fee. 

I think we have more chance of being successful long term if we trade player's instead of stockpiling them. Buy low sell high, there's nothing wrong with that. 

DC has been guilty of not selling when the time is right in the past, not having a long term plan etc, this is a good sign for me. I'm sure many won't agree but hey ho. 

Disappointing but if he's set on leaving, then hopefully we can get as much as possible for him and use it wisely to strengthen the team. Ideally would have let others go first but as long as it helps us bring in better players then it's something we should have done a while ago. But hopefully finally it's a sign, that we're learning that you have to wheel and deal at this level to improve.

• Like 1

Gutted, one of few players who can genuinely make you say wow and 16 goals from bench shows he can change games. 

Just hoping we offload Rhodes too and can get another pacey forward in, just Winnall and Nuhiu off the bench is not dynamic enough... 

7m, 50pc up front would be 3.5m into coffers and 1m off wages. Assume Rhodes 3m 50pc up front 1.5m and 2m wages saved. 

Plus Bruce 3.5m would be net swing of 11.5m plus 7m saved on others who left, total trimming of 18m would take us down from red into orange zone at least... 

Edited by DuttyTeabags
Zonal

Those already spending this money (however much it is) need to consider one of the reasons this may be happening in the first place. There is a very considerable shortfall in our finances that needs addressing before this time next year. It seems that the only way we can realistically make in roads in to this is by a major sale or two and we'd be wise to bank a significant chunk of it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just to clarify, I don't have any problem with us selling players subject to 2 criteria:

1) It's for the right price

2) It's for the overall benefit of the team/club

In the case of Joao, yes he can be absolutely unplayable when he is on it, but he just doesn't display that hunger or consistency frequently enough for us so by all means sell him, but not at a bargain basement price, then use  the money to strengthen elsewhere.

In a way it's a shame. 

For my money he's the one who should be pushing Fletcher for the central striking role.  

But...

We are top heavy with strikers. I'd have preferred we'd managed to offload one of the others ...but you have to have potential suitors and clearly there aren't many takers for the others. 

If it allows us to bring in a player to stengthen another area of the team, so be it. 

39 minutes ago, SiJ said:

FFP dictates that we have to move someone on. 

If Reading are willing to splash a sizeable fee, then it's a no brainer. 

That's just clicked something in the back of my mind Sijjers,  aren't Reading themselves under some sort of embargo? 

Have to wonder how the deal is going to be structured if so.

1 minute ago, Lord Snooty said:

In a way it's a shame. 

For my money he's the one who should be pushing Fletcher for the central striking role.  

But...

We are top heavy with strikers. I'd have preferred we'd managed to offload one of the others ...but you have to have potential suitors and clearly there aren't many takers for the others. 

If it allows us to bring in a player to stengthen another area of the team, so be it. 

That's just clicked something in the back of my mind Sijjers,  aren't Reading themselves under some sort of embargo? 

Presume its not going to be peanuts if DC has finally sanctioned this. He usually drives a hard bargain. Hope its closer to the £8M we were wanting.

2 minutes ago, DJMortimer said:

There is a very considerable shortfall in our finances that needs addressing before this time next year. It seems that the only way we can realistically make in roads in to this is by a major sale or two and we'd be wise to bank a significant chunk of it.

I imagine few on here would be that disappointed if the transfer fee was quite decent. By the sound of it, it doesn't seem like we'll be bringing in all that much, especially as it's Reading. Hopefully that's just how it sounds though, and the fee will be sizable.

Big picture, even selling for the sake of selling isn't necessarily a terrible thing, as long as it gets the ball rolling on the practice. DC really needs to learn how to shift players out.

5 minutes ago, Lord Snooty said:

I was going to suggest some kind of trade but all our goods and services are imagined.... lol

• Haha 2

Because João does have that inconsistent/weak willed/lazy streak in him, I’m not having a meltdown about this.  Not until we know the transfer fee anyway.

If he goes, he goes.  Hopefully for a good fee.

If the transfer money isn’t all that, it would be a shame to be losing one of our better forwards if we don’t get a big fee.  In the current marker, Joao is easily a £5-8 million player.  We shouldn’t be dealing for less than that.

Maybe if the hierarchy hadn’t totally c*cked up our finances, we’d be in a stronger negotiation position.  And therefore, fans like me would be less concerned that we might be getting ripped off.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Westfield Owl said:

Maybe if the hierarchy hadn’t totally c*cked up our finances, we’d be in a stronger negotiation position.  And therefore, fans like me would be less concerned that we might be getting ripped off.

This is at the very heart of where we find ourselves. The financial management of the club has been reckless and haphazard.

• Haha 1