On the basis...

Which one?  

226 members have voted

1. 1. Bullen or Pulis - You decide

• Tony Pulis
    • Lee Bullen

Bullen over Pulis for me.

I don't buy this concern that we shouldnt give it to bullen cos it would be horrible if we had to sack him. 

On no planet would Wednesday fans be hounding him out. Genuinely don't think the fans would do that. He'd always have the respect that he'd been given a crack at the job and it was always 50/50 how it would turn out. 

Not saying I'd want bullen as my first choice. Not at all. But I'd definitely have him over Pulis 

• Like 1

Just now, poite said:

I don't buy this concern that we shouldnt give it to bullen cos it would be horrible if we had to sack him. 

On no planet would Wednesday fans be hounding him out. Genuinely don't think the fans would do that. He'd always have the respect that he'd been given a crack at the job and it was always 50/50 how it would turn out. 

Not saying I'd want bullen as my first choice. Not at all. But I'd definitely have him over Pulis 

sorry simon dont agree  

2 minutes ago, steelowl said:

sorry simon dont agree  

Depends on your interpretation of hounding out I suppose.

If you mean people ringing up praise or grumble and saying we need to replace him then yes I'd agree that there would be that.

But I can't imagine the crowd singing 'we want bullen out' or 'you're getting sacked in the morning' during a game. 

• Like 1

If we can't attract a suitable high profile candidate, we should leave Bullen in charge. Why try and fix something that doesn't appear broken? Pulis doesn't suit our squad, he's a defensive minded has been, that was decent several years ago. We would suit a more attack minded manager on the rise already over here or abroad. For those reasons, I'd much prefer keeping Bullen to see what he can do, instead of settling for someone on the decline.

2 minutes ago, poite said:

Depends on your interpretation of hounding out I suppose.

If you mean people ringing up praise or grumble and saying we need to replace him then yes I'd agree that there would be that.

But I can't imagine the crowd singing 'we want bullen out' or 'you're getting sacked in the morning' during a game. 

i can, but I'd hope not

15 minutes ago, poite said:

You don’t think Wednesday fans would want him out and show as much if we went on a terrible run. Of course they bloody would. Football fans are very fickle. These same people saying Bullen deserves the job would be saying the opposite of we lose to Barnsley. 

Edited by WalthamOwl

I don't know how Bullen would do as Manager, but during his interim-Manager roles, he likes to play attacking football, and it works.  He's never stunk up the place and there's probably nobody who knows the Players as well as he does...he knows who's getting tired during the match, when a Player is afraid of his Marker(s), when Plan A isn't working.  He knows what the Players can do, cannot do, like to do, how & where they like to play.

Here's a compromise solution:  give Bullen the job, and if he doesn't do well, don't run him out on a rail, simply let him return to his former duty, don't run him out of SWFC.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, WalthamOwl said:

You don’t think Wednesday fans would want him out and show as much if we went on a terrible run. Of course they bloody would. 

Yes I think they'd want him out.

But I don't think they'd go about it like they have with other managers. 

1 hour ago, Athelwulf said:

Switch it the other way round and then it's a possibility.

I don't see Chansiri re-engaging a man he's dismissed.

It's an admission of failure ... which is one of the reasons he doesn't like sacking managers he's appointed.

I'd take Poolis over Bullen.

A bloke who's won promotion and managed in the PL as against a bloke who's never even managed a non-league side???????????

My question mark against Pulis is if we have the right players here for him.

so youd take a bloke who's been sacked from his last 3 jobs in the past 3-4 years rather than try some new bloke …….Lampard had never managed anyone when derby took a gamble  and 12 months later he's managing Chelsea ……..

2 hours ago, WalthamOwl said:

Football fans are very fickle. These same people saying Bullen deserves the job would be saying the opposite of we lose to Barnsley. 

What if by some miracle we beat the mighty Barnsley? lol.....not gonna hold me breath but some might start to realise the logic in backing him.

Though I do know he ain't got a massive fancy dan name and doubt if he could tempt players from Barcelona, like the others could...:rolleyes:

• Like 1

2 hours ago, torryowl said:

so youd take a bloke who's been sacked from his last 3 jobs in the past 3-4 years rather than try some new bloke …….Lampard had never managed anyone when derby took a gamble  and 12 months later he's managing Chelsea ……..

Yes, IMO.

I don't say Pulis is my first choice, or even my fifth, but at least he's a seasoned manager.

As you say, Derby took a gamble.

But we can't afford to gamble.

We need a safe pair of hands.

And there's a fad these days for giving top players top jobs whether they've much experience or not.

Pulis is another Megson, and he'd sort us out.

Like Meggo (and Wilder) his an old British-style manager who won't brook any part-timers.

Would he get us over the line? Who knows, but if he didn't he'd lay the foundations for someone else, as Megson did.

And as it says in the Sun article; "He knows how to win football matches. He finds a way to win, that’s the mark of a good manager."

19 hours ago, Athelwulf said:

Pulis is another Megson, and he'd sort us out.

Would he get us over the line? Who knows, but if he didn't he'd lay the foundations for someone else, as Megson did.

With us just out of embargo,  but unlikely to have vast money to throw around he'd likely be having to get results with the players we've got. 

And there's a lot of midgets in our team. I can't see the thing working.

Not without wholesale changes to the playing personnel.

2 hours ago, Lord Snooty said:

With us just out of embargo,  but unlikely to have vast money to throw around he'd likely be having to get results with the players we've got. 

And there's a lot of midgets in our team. I can't see the thing working.

Not without wholesale changes to the playing personnel.

Good points as always, Milud.

I agree that the only question mark for me would be precisely what you say.

Megson outed the part-timers, and it's true that it would be more difficult for Pulis to do likewise.

Mind you, maybe it's more about attitude than just size.

Could there be some on the fringes of the squad whom Pulis would identify as having the right fibre for the job?

Under Carlos we had a lot of quality players who were shoehorned into the team.

I think under Pulis it would be about the team first and foremost, and he'd look at the entire playing staff to try to build it.

I guess it's like in the Mind the Gap season; the Blades had better individuals, but we had a good composite.