Tony Pulis

this is just chaff thrown down to cause a posting frenzy.

pulis is not attacking enough to take us to promotion (though that being said wagner did it at 'uddersfield).

yes we need defence, we need a tight m/f, but we really need attacking options, and with pace too.

our support is over the moon with harris' performance at reading, it's what we've been short of, but some could not see it. 

defenders really fear pace, there's no time to recover when a speedster gets past you, there's all the time in the world when a side playing multi pass tiptap does, as it's likely to be cutting back on itself, and making another dozen passes before crossing to the one man heavily marked up in the middle.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, 1993swfc said:

I posted this before but go and look at his record everywhere. Take away his “style” and everyone would be clamouring for him. Even his “survival expert” tag is a myth, he’s proven consistently he can excel teams in the Premier League. 

Stoke:

07/08 2nd Championship

08/09 12th Premier League

09/10 11th Premier League

10/11 13th Premier League, FA Cup finalist and qualified for Europe. 

11/12 14th Premier League 

12/13 13th Premier League

Crystal Palace:

13/14 11th Premier League. He only managed them for half a season taking the job in November whilst they was in the bottom three. 

West Brom:

14/15 13th Premier League, took over whilst 1 point about the drop zone in January. 

15/16 14th Premier League

16/17 10th Premier League

Middlesbrough:

17/18 5th Championship, after the season he was forced to sell Ben Gibson, Adama Traore, Patrick Bamford, 3 top Championship players and was expected to improve.

18/19 7th Championship. Joint best defence in the division.

His record is much better than his reputation. 

To be honest, looking at that, there aren't many managers out there with such a record.

Certainly not ones who'd be interested in us.

Mind you, the fans didn't want Colin either in spite of his record.

I guess our loss was Cardiff's gain.

16 hours ago, TheEnchanter said:

His football is absoloutely rancid. 

This appointment would not get my support. 

You go to watch football to achieve a degree of entertainment. Just listen to what the boro and West Brom fans think. They were completely drained of excitement. 

If Pulis was to manage us I'd go so far as to say itd put me off going. Even though obviously id still go. 

I bet West Brom and Stoke wished they had him now.

For 1993swfc and anybody else thinking about Pulis or his record this is a player he signed on loan at ours he played 12 minutes I was luckierly at a game I was at Pulis thought him not up to the english game

Serge Gnabry

Edited by Guest

Capable manager pulis and no doubt he could do job here and also no doubt 12 to 18 months down the line we would be calling for his head .....the usual I'm not paying 40 quid to watch dross like that would have a field day.they did with Carlos when we finished 4th which is a position that pulis would probably struggle to achieve.

37 minutes ago, Big Rons Hairspray said:

That’s tragic.

Yep it is why I stopped going for awhile it killed my love of the game

1 hour ago, Baggiehy said:

Yep it is why I stopped going for awhile it killed my love of the game

Its not the same situation we are in though is it? When he managed  you and you had that lad (as he was then having played just 10 professional games prior to joining you) on loan it was 2015-2016 and you were being de-funded by your chairman which ultimately led to your relegation a couple of seasons later.

We are literally the opposite of that in terms of the chairman’s attitude. 

Im not enamoured by his style but to be honest I want someone who can guide the chairman in the market so that we acquire players who will at least match the style rather than waste money like we have previously on players who had zero impact and even took us backward. 

33 minutes ago, BC1867 said:

Its not the same situation we are in though is it? When he managed  you and you had that lad (as he was then having played just 10 professional games prior to joining you) on loan it was 2015-2016 and you were being de-funded by your chairman which ultimately led to your relegation a couple of seasons later.

We are literally the opposite of that in terms of the chairman’s attitude. 

Im not enamoured by his style but to be honest I want someone who can guide the chairman in the market so that we acquire players who will at least match the style rather than waste money like we have previously on players who had zero impact and even took us backward. 

i'm not enamoured by him either …..I think someone whos been sacked in his last 3 jobs with no tangible record of success is to be avoided at all cost 

I see there's been a mention of Pulis record at Middlesbrough.  Last season, only four sides scored less goals than Middlesbroughs total of 49 did in the 2018/19 season- Stoke, Ipswich. Millwall and Bolton. Its all very well mentioning defences but scoring goals also helps. We had the fourth best defence in the entire league during the 2014/15 season. Only Bournemouth, Norwich and Middlesbrough had a better defensive record than us, remind me where we finished.

He also got a combined total of 43 million for 3 championship players. They sold Bamford for 10 million, Gibson for 15 million and Traore for 18 million, that's enough finance to find good replacements to challenge at the top. Norwich City sold James Maddison to Leicester who was one of the best players of the championship and they won the league. 

Carlos gets rightly criticised for his approach to the play off semi final against Huddersfield. Did anyone watch Middlesbroughs' play off games against Aston Villa, in particular the second leg when they were trailing one nil from the first leg.

Finally someone mentioned that Boro scored more goals in Pulis first season than Carlos?  We scored 66 goals under Carlos in his first full season, Boro only scored 49 goals in Pulis' first full season. 

Don't get me wrong, his record is effective but it certainly does come at a cost. 

30 minutes ago, torryowl said:

i'm not enamoured by him either …..I think someone whos been sacked in his last 3 jobs with no tangible record of success is to be avoided at all cost 

I’d rather have him than Rowett though. That guy is a poo talker of the highest order.

20 hours ago, Lord Snooty said:

I am Spartacus!

We're all him. Aren't we?

Please tell me that  all you other posters are real and I'm the only one who is a construct of his warped mind!

you have been on owlstalk for sufficient time to have realised that 'nothing is real'.

it is ALL in your mind, you have imagined all this in a dream, you are about to wake up and realise you're 6 years old, I think (perhaps).