How to beat Barnsley

The Tykes are full of young legs, plenty of running and movement. However, they lack experience and their obvious spirit can and should be undermined.

We could play similarly to Saturday, match them up and look to break on them.

We could play the high press to starve them of worthwhile possession and frustrate them.

My favourite is to let them have the ball in front of us, close down and deflate them. Save our big effort for the second half.  

5 minutes ago, bigash_swfc said:

Would he survive a relegation to complete a transformation

He is good. he has rebuilt Barnsley over summer and he plays the way we are trying to play. His signings are from all over the place he obviously got wide contacts and looks as if he can spot a player. We looked for ages for a centre half. He has signed a couple who look ok at first viewing and they were cheap. It really shows up our attempts and supposedly looking at 100 centre halves and eventually coming up with a prize lemon 

11 hours ago, nevthelodgemoorowl said:

The Tykes are full of young legs, plenty of running and movement. However, they lack experience and their obvious spirit can and should be undermined.

We could play similarly to Saturday, match them up and look to break on them.

We could play the high press to starve them of worthwhile possession and frustrate them.

My favourite is to let them have the ball in front of us, close down and deflate them. Save our big effort for the second half.  

Carlos is that you???

The last paragraph was right out of his play book.....?? 

Please no lol

Edited by shezzas left peg

26 minutes ago, shezzas left peg said:

Carlos is that you???

Please no lol

There was a time when I would have advocated the method for playing against youngsters was to hit them early and hit them hard. But the game has moved on we have to show a little patience these days lol

29 minutes ago, shezzas left peg said:

Carlos is that you???

Please no lol

3 minutes ago, nevthelodgemoorowl said:

There was a time when I would have advocated the method for playing against youngsters was to hit them early and hit them hard. But the game has moved on we have to show a little patience these days lol

Plus you can't hit youngsters now days or they'll report you to childline.

2-1 win. They'll have more of the ball and pass it around a lot. We'll score from fletch cross to back post header, and header from a set play, Borners first goal. They'll complain that they 'play better football' we'll have 3 points. I also said 3-1 for sat, just saying. lol

If we just maintain our shape and don't make reckless challenges then we'll win. If we lose our shape by getting frustrated then will be difficult. Need to let Harris run at them and break with him to move play up into their end.

I know we would like to out football everyone, but it's the championship, that doesn't happen. Need patience on saturday and we'll be fine.