How to beat Barnsley

Guest The Horse

Only saw the highlights on Quest last night and what was said on Soccer Saturday yesterday but they sound very attack minded, very raw and show no respect.

Kudos to them for that, the sort of attitude every fan wants to see from their teams.

I can see them going balls out at us next week like the pigs did when Carlos said it was 'just another game'.

Like @Oz Owl said, we need to take them seriously but thankfully Bullen knows what derbies are about so will hopefully be prepared this time.

Can see a high scoring game here.

5-4 to us!

I’m confident after yesterday. 

We looked like a really really canny experienced side who knew how to grind it out against a much younger inexperienced team who wanted to play football and couldn’t adapt. Sounds similar to what we’ll face in Barnsley. 

My only worry is the full back (esp left back) areas. Reading kept two wingers high and wide and Palmer looked in trouble with balls hit over his head. Barnsley could do similar. 

The way they play they will put pressure on us if we dally around with ball at back. Lees is not comfortable when put under pressure so I would say do not try and walk ball out from back. I would put their defence under pressure by getting close to them. They look to have some useful athletes and it will be a test for our team. really impressed with Stendel's buys all done on a budget and some good looking players at back who are also young. Could be very difficult game.

10 hours ago, bigash_swfc said:

Post your thoughts in here. 

So I watched Barnsley vs. Fulham today, it was the only game available to me. They're both good teams, Fulham have aspirations to be alot more but it didn't quite work today. 

They had 2 out and out wingers, Kamara and Cavaleiro completely not involved in the game. 2 players who was complete passengers. We've got more than enough to beat Barnsley but lets not underestimate them. 

I wouldn't change that starting 11, other than to replace Westwood. We should have a midfield 5, that shows Barnsley respect. Attack as a team. Carry no passengers. 

These games are always scrappy, lets win the midfield battle with discipline. They're also a young side, so Pelupessy may come in handy, if Hutchinson picks up a yellow or Lee tires.

Who knows, we may also have a new player or two.

Wouldn't make many changes.

Threaten them with a bar of soap . 

13 minutes ago, LOWVALLEYOWL said:

I had a drink with Barnsley's assistant manager on Saturday night, they are more than ready for us, he reckons the high pressing game will be too much for us.

Funnily enough I had a drink with Wednesday’s assistant manager after the game at Reading. He said don’t worry Kev we’ll fcuking smash em.   UTO 

• Haha 1

21 minutes ago, Rhubarb n Custard said:

They'll miss Davies in goal this season. 

He was a big player for them last term. 

Key to the game is exposing their new keeper... he's a bit of a fumble fingers.

Id say its the opposite from what ive heard. Davies was a bit dodgy and this new guy they seem to rate. Early days though. 

36 minutes ago, TheEnchanter said:

Id say its the opposite from what ive heard. Davies was a bit dodgy and this new guy they seem to rate. Early days though. 

I saw Davies a few times last season and he kept them in games they should have lost. 

Don't really know about the new guy just going on comments from dingles I know in pre season games.