How to beat Barnsley

Post your thoughts in here. 

So I watched Barnsley vs. Fulham today, it was the only game available to me. They're both good teams, Fulham have aspirations to be alot more but it didn't quite work today. 

They had 2 out and out wingers, Kamara and Cavaleiro completely not involved in the game. 2 players who was complete passengers. We've got more than enough to beat Barnsley but lets not underestimate them. 

I wouldn't change that starting 11, other than to replace Westwood. We should have a midfield 5, that shows Barnsley respect. Attack as a team. Carry no passengers. 

These games are always scrappy, lets win the midfield battle with discipline. They're also a young side, so Pelupessy may come in handy, if Hutchinson picks up a yellow or Lee tires.

Who knows, we may also have a new player or two.

Wouldn't make many changes.

• Like 1

Hutch's interview says Bullen switched to the 3/5 in midfield after Bruce left, I doubt he'll change that next week.

With Reach and Harris Barnsley better hope their own wingers are on their game defensively. 

If it's a scrappier affair I fancy us to get the points. 

• Like 1

They're a very young side, so expect plenty of energy and a bit of pace. 

We have got the experience and are at home. 

It'll be a tough game (always is and they've got that bit of momentum from promotion), but fingers crossed our extra bit of experience and know-how makes the difference. 

If that means making the game a bit of a scrap, a bit of a fight, then so be it. 

1 hour ago, OzOwl said:

It will a game of two halves and we will get out of jail with a 2-2 draw, we never take Barnsley serious enough.

Probably because we usually beat them every time. Seriously, I think we’ve only lost to them once at Hillsborough since the 80’s- even when we were pretty poo ourselves. 

• Like 1

They’ve done well to beat Fulham, a real “welcome back to the Championship” result. 

We need to set the tone for some dominance at home. We might need the crowd too in this one. 

Their coach is highly rated, so it won’t be easy. 

The motivation has to be 6 points in 2 games. 

They will be up for it after a great result against Fulham (delighted to see the new parachute boys getting beat!) 

its important that we start well. But I think there is goals in this new look team so feel eling like we have a good chance, coupled with our gaff not been a happy place for them to visit.

Seems like it could come down to who’s wingers perform on the day. Thomas and Wilks appeared to be their threat, particularly Wilks (wish we’d signed him) whereas Reach and Harris will be key for us in terms of exploiting the spaces I presume they will leave if they play on the front foot again. 

Difficult time to play Barnsley as they have their tails up despite chopping and changing half the squad, but then again we are also in good form and expect a big crowd at home. Could be a really good game.