Julian Börner

First things first... I'm sure our German-speaking friends will correct me if I'm wrong, but please John Pearson, it's not "Bonner" like we're awkwardly trying to avoid the innuendo-y sounding alternative way you can say his name... the umlaut over the "O" 'flattens' the sound of the word... you say it more like "Burner" than anything else!

Secondly, and more importantly... how good was he today? I know he's been credited more than once in various other threads (as, rightly so, have all the debutantes), but I think he deserves one all of his own. Seemed to be in the right place at the right time more often than not, seemed calm on the ball and have good distribution...  thought he performed really really well. Great signing on a free based off of some decent pre-season games and a very good debut.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, StudentOwl said:

First things first... I'm sure our German-speaking friends will correct me if I'm wrong, but please John Pearson, it's not "Bonner" like we're awkwardly trying to avoid the innuendo-y sounding alternative way you can say his name... the umlaut over the "O" 'flattens' the sound of the word... you say it more like "Burner" 

Wilf Smith (aka Wilfred Schmidt).. Or something like that.. 

Edited by owls-swfc

Thought as debuts go it was excellent, can only improve as he come to terms with the differences between Championship and German footy. I think if we managed to pull off the Hector signing (I get through the days by telling myself this is still possible....) then we are defensively set. It would allow us to rotate without fear, excellent signing.

I actually think he's got distribution in his game and we'll see a little more of that as he settles. There's a time and a place and yesterday was neither. 

EDIT: I think you'll see him gradually take the initiative in the pairing with Lees, in turn that should hopefully improve Lees as we saw with Hector and previously with Loovens. 

Edited by Morepork

4 hours ago, TomBee said:

Question is, do we need Hector back? Borner strikes me as being an ever present player so do we get Hector and have the German as backup? 

We wont be getting Hector at 5 million. If he was coming he would be here by now. Think Chelsea have priced him out of a lot of clubs interest.

Only seen him live again Espanyol.  He seemed solid enough. 

I think he’ll be on the level of a Sasso, which is fine for a free signing. 

I think he’ll quietly go about his business being quite reliable. 

Only slight worry so far is that he’s not mega tall - seems the same as Lees though and he copes OK

3 minutes ago, Kopparberg said:

Only seen him live again Espanyol.  He seemed solid enough. 

I think he’ll be on the level of a Sasso, which is fine for a free signing. 

I think he’ll quietly go about his business being quite reliable. 

Only slight worry so far is that he’s not mega tall - seems the same as Lees though and he copes OK

6 foot 2 isn’t he? 

1 hour ago, Kopparberg said:

Just checked and Wiki says so. 

Wiki also has Tom Lees as 6’1 

and Ayala (as an example) of Middlesbrough at 6’3 

So maybe he’s just fine. 

Deceiving - he looks small in videos and pictures of them training