Managerial conundrum..

The problem with Bully is that although he has potential, at present he doesn't have the experience.

And we're not the sort of club to gain it at.

We want an experienced manager, not someone learning his trade.

It's when things go wrong that we'd be in bother with him in charge.

Serial defeats, sliding down the league, a restless crowd, and a stubborn chairman who wouldn't sack him.

Basically Jos Luhukay revisited.

And would, say, Rowett still be available by the time Chansiri finally pulled the trigger?

The first point is we are short of backroom staff. the current u/23 coach is coaching first team. We have a lack of known outward facing people in charge. Bullen and Thompson have been looking inwards for last few years and we have nobody who has those all important contacts which can obtain you real gems from top clubs. Nobody has worked for anybody other than Sheffield Wednesday for years except fitness coach. To do nothing would be similar approach we have adopted with Hillsborough instead of taking action when we should have done we let things drift and it has become major issue for club.

We won yesterday but it was close game and things were not as convincing as the OP portrays. Lees looked as though hand balled on line and thin replays confirmed this. That could have put game in different perspective. We presented a threat going forwards but some of defensive work was not convincing. There were some good performances Hutchinson, Bannan, Palmer, Lee Harris I thought all played well. Fletcher Borner, Lees, and Reach were ok. Odubajo showed flashes of brilliance but has not settled in yet and has to work out team dynamic. Westwood who was very reliable last year was not at his best yesterday in fact I thought well short of best.. His official accuracy of passing was 21% for the game. He reminded me of a about 3 years ago when had a few mad acts at beginning of season. The best saves of the day were made by Dawson and Lee. team was busy but you feel could still do with a bit more dash especially in final third.

We got the points but more required especially against better opposition. 

I have seen Barnsley highlights and you have to be impressed with what Stendel has done recruited new goalkeeper and back 4 plus others and team played well will be tough game next week for us against what looks like very quick athletic side.

13 minutes ago, Quist said:

The first point is we are short of backroom staff. the current u/23 coach is coaching first team. We have a lack of known outward facing people in charge. Bullen and Thompson have been looking inwards for last few years and we have nobody who has those all important contacts which can obtain you real gems from top clubs. Nobody has worked for anybody other than Sheffield Wednesday for years except fitness coach. To do nothing would be similar approach we have adopted with Hillsborough instead of taking action when we should have done we let things drift and it has become major issue for club.

We won yesterday but it was close game and things were not as convincing as the OP portrays. Lees looked as though hand balled on line and thin replays confirmed this. That could have put game in different perspective. We presented a threat going forwards but some of defensive work was not convincing. There were some good performances Hutchinson, Bannan, Palmer, Lee Harris I thought all played well. Fletcher Borner, Lees, and Reach were ok. Odubajo showed flashes of brilliance but has not settled in yet and has to work out team dynamic. Westwood who was very reliable last year was not at his best yesterday in fact I thought well short of best.. His official accuracy of passing was 21% for the game. He reminded me of a about 3 years ago when had a few mad acts at beginning of season. The best saves of the day were made by Dawson and Lee. team was busy but you feel could still do with a bit more dash especially in final third.

We got the points but more required especially against better opposition. 

I have seen Barnsley highlights and you have to be impressed with what Stendel has done recruited new goalkeeper and back 4 plus others and team played well will be tough game next week for us against what looks like very quick athletic side.

Exactly.

And we need those contacts more than ever in our current financial situation.

Guest gizowl

Suicide to bring a foreign coach in when the season has started, too much upheaval, British manager to just tweak things here and there, bring in hector, LB,CM,WINGER and were capable of giving it a good go.

It seems to me as though there’s little alternative to carrying on with Bullen at this point. As long as we’re winning then everybody’s happy and parachuting in a new man, unless he’s a very very proven name would likely just disrupt morale in the squad. We’re in a different situation to the other times Bullen’s been in caretaker charge as it’s the first time he’s made it clear he wants the job, and it looks to me like the squad want him to get it too. If we suddenly shunt him back to assistant behind one of Paixao’s mates then it’s a quick way of plunging our season off the rails.

Keep him in for the time being, if things don’t seem to be working out by Christmas then perhaps that would be time to reassess.

20 minutes ago, Groundhopping Owl said:

It seems to me as though there’s little alternative to carrying on with Bullen at this point. As long as we’re winning then everybody’s happy and parachuting in a new man, unless he’s a very very proven name would likely just disrupt morale in the squad. We’re in a different situation to the other times Bullen’s been in caretaker charge as it’s the first time he’s made it clear he wants the job, and it looks to me like the squad want him to get it too. If we suddenly shunt him back to assistant behind one of Paixao’s mates then it’s a quick way of plunging our season off the rails.

Keep him in for the time being, if things don’t seem to be working out by Christmas then perhaps that would be time to reassess.

It’s a difficult one to predict but if I had to put money on it, I think I’d put it on Bullen. I think it’s quite clear that DC wanted Hughton and given he’s turned us down, he’s now unsure.

12 hours ago, Athelwulf said:

The problem with Bully is that although he has potential, at present he doesn't have the experience.

And we're not the sort of club to gain it at.

We want an experienced manager, not someone learning his trade.

It's when things go wrong that we'd be in bother with him in charge.

Serial defeats, sliding down the league, a restless crowd, and a stubborn chairman who wouldn't sack him.

Basically Jos Luhukay revisited.

And would, say, Rowett still be available by the time Chansiri finally pulled the trigger?

Not forgetting that there's a reason why Rowett, Monk et al are actually out of work at the moment.  LB is in work at a similar level, in work, respected, has been through an apprenticeship, considers himself ready (which takes guts and some real self-belief, but of course he will know what he's walking into).  He also knows he'll get stick if he ever loses ONE game, whereas someone new, however experienced, will be 'allowed' defeats, because he's new (if not to the art of management).
Don't see Bully as the sort of guy who would put a pistol to his own head, so I have no problem with him being given the job, if only because he is more aware of the level of expectation. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, hangonrose said:

Not forgetting that there's a reason why Rowett, Monk et al are actually out of work at the moment.  LB is in work at a similar level, in work, respected, has been through an apprenticeship, considers himself ready (which takes guts and some real self-belief, but of course he will know what he's walking into).  He also knows he'll get stick if he ever loses ONE game, whereas someone new, however experienced, will be 'allowed' defeats, because he's new (if not to the art of management).
Don't see Bully as the sort of guy who would put a pistol to his own head, so I have no problem with him being given the job, if only because he is more aware of the level of expectation. 

Were LB not at this club, and were he to apply for any job in the Championship, do you think he would be engaged?

He might be, but I wouldn't put my house on it.

My point is that he hasn't served his apprenticeship, and it's not so long since he was begging for a new manager to be brought through the door.

All people involved in football back themselves, as did Elbows at the Lane.

But I agree that he wouldn't be cut the slack that a manager proper would be.

14 minutes ago, Athelwulf said:

Were LB not at this club, and were he to apply for any job in the Championship, do you think he would be engaged?

He might be, but I wouldn't put my house on it.

My point is that he hasn't served his apprenticeship, and it's not so long since he was begging for a new manager to be brought through the door.

All people involved in football back themselves, as did Elbows at the Lane.

But I agree that he wouldn't be cut the slack that a manager proper would be.

Maybe he saw what Carlos did, what jos tried to implement and how the three Steve's were operating and thought...it's really nothing that I don't know already, nothing new and maybe I could do better?

If things don’t go our way against Barnsley, it will be interesting who still thinks Bullen is the man to take us forward, I don’t believe he’s what we need at the moment, I certainly can’t see him attracting some high quality loans.