Managerial conundrum..

I hope Bullen stays as a coach but hope a new permanent manager is announced in the coming days. Love Bullen, I really do. But when things start to go wrong I would worry how he would deal with that. He’s a top bloke and he wouldn’t deserve the stress and abuse he would get from sections of the crowd. 

I don't mind the possibility of leaving Bullen in charge.

We might keep winning, it may end up being a good advert for a manager to apply for the role who the fans can unaminously agree would be a good appointment.

The club is stuck in a bit of a Catch 22 situation at the moment, not a stand out candidate is available in the way we all looked at Bruce's appointment. Anyone taking the role as it stands is possibly on a hiding to nothing, given we are coming up to the end of the transfe window, and little time to implement any changes that would have a meaningful impact in the first few months of the season.

Go with what we have, if it's a complete disaster we have to bite the bullet, and proably end up appointing someone we don't want, but for now, each win makes the club a more attractive proposition to any would be's.

6 minutes ago, Reallondonowl said:

If that's what you believe then you are entitled to that opinion. Frankly, in my opinion it does nothing of the sort. If you have knowledge that McLaren declined for different reasons, come out and state them if you are ITK. But be careful to not post any unsubstantiated nonsense.

I don't even know that Steve McClaren was offered the manager's job, never mind turned it down!

And I'm still not sure how you know for a 'fact' that Chansiri picks the team. Until we can establish that, then this conversation's going nowhere, really.

19 minutes ago, bubbleowl said:

Im not saying i want him but you said proven championship record that's what he's got twice

Meh. Both through the play offs. Want someone who can transform us into one of the top sides in the league. He’s never done that. 

36 minutes ago, stocksyuto said:

Wilders been a manager for like 20 years or so playing his trade to smaller teams and now its paid off

Bullens doing a great job I just cant see him grinding out results we need, itll only take a loss or 2 in a row and people will kick off 

20 years ago he playing for United lol

Wonder if we're already at the point of no return with Bullen. He's being talked about as a manager on national tv.

If he knows he's always going to be just a coach here, can we realistically expect to keep him?

I'm sure he does love the club, but enough to turn down a career as a manager?

I would hate it if we let him go and he went on to be a great success somewhere else

38 minutes ago, 1993swfc said:

Meh. Both through the play offs. Want someone who can transform us into one of the top sides in the league. He’s never done that. 

I think qpr went up automatic but Fair enough but also that leaves bullen out of the equation

2 minutes ago, bubbleowl said:

I think qpr went up automatic but Fair enough but also that leaves bullen out of the equation

QPR was league 1 to the Championship and was automatic yes.

Did you even read my post? I’m saying unless theirs someone who can take us to being a top top team is this league (like a Hughton) then what is the point is changing. Especially if we are now looking into the foreign market. 

1 minute ago, 1993swfc said:

QPR was league 1 to the Championship and was automatic yes.

Did you even read my post? I’m saying unless theirs someone who can take us to being a top top team is this league (like a Hughton) then what is the point is changing. Especially if we are now looking into the foreign market. 

My mistake but the foreign manager thing can work can work and has worked, as long it's not the multi job no-hopers we've had previous

Is it fair to give Bullen the job on a match by match basis in the knowledge that one or two bad results will see him replaced? At the same time would you give him an initial contract for a year or so? If LB does get the job will it alter his relationship with the players?

It's also worth considering that Rowett, Monk etc  are unlikely to be unemployed for long as heads start to roll in August and September.

All in all a very tough dilemma for DC

2 hours ago, Pale Rider said:

Football fans do tend to be very short sighted. Long term I don’t see Bullen as the answer, but even though I say that the list of alternatives I’ve seen doesn’t inspire me if it’s not Hughton. I would just roll, without a full time appointment see where we in a month. 

What's going to change in a month?  Nobody good will get the sack. 

If they were good, they wouldn't?! 

3 hours ago, millo said:

Why are people saying it's only one game? Lee Bullen has managed Wednesday for a total of 9 games and is unbeaten in last 5 (won 3, lost 2).

Why are some people confused. The stats regarding Lee Bullen's management are factual.

17 minutes ago, Beauchief Owl said:

Is it fair to give Bullen the job on a match by match basis in the knowledge that one or two bad results will see him replaced? At the same time would you give him an initial contract for a year or so? If LB does get the job will it alter his relationship with the players?

It's also worth considering that Rowett, Monk etc  are unlikely to be unemployed for long as heads start to roll in August and September.

All in all a very tough dilemma for DC

I think giving Bullen the job on a match by match basis is the absolute worst option we can do. It breeds instability from management downwards IMO. Bullen wouldn't know if he is coming or going, the players wouldn't be certain who is in charge from one game to the next and would be a recipe for a bad atmosphere setting in. 

My choice would be announcing a permanent manager by Tuesday at the latest - allows them a couple of days to try and get any new players in they want. 

Edited by CalmJimmers

Just now, Suzuki_San said:

What's going to change in a month?  Nobody good will get the sack. 

If they were good, they wouldn't?! 

Very few managers have not been sacked. We got Bruce because he was sacked, so good managers do get sacked (whatever you think of his issues re loyalty)

IMO Rowett and Monk are decent managers that are out of work, at present.  If we want either we can't wait forever. However, Bullen has done all he's been asked to do to date and is clearly worthy of consideration.