Managerial conundrum..

Great result from the lads today and a blinder of a start. We showed a lot of character and were defiant at times where previously we would have crumbled (The reaction to the equaliser and red card).

Clearly there is a strong sense of team spirit that may have formed as a reaction to Bruce's departure.

So now for my point/question (and I might get shot down for this)...Why do we have to rush in recruiting a new manager? Why not ride the current wave of optimism before shaking things up again?

Its probably too late for another manager to make any real impact on the squad before the transfer window closes and would likely change the current dynamics in the team/ coaching setup. Cant we let Bullen have a good crack at it and if we begin to see a drop in performances or a lack in leadership then bring someone in. Its not as if there are super strong candidates that we will miss out on if we don't act quickly (bar Hughton who doesn't sound up for it anyway).

We could see how long this burst of optimism lasts without disrupting things too much and IF things start to go south then we can quickly bring someone in.

I know its only one game but Bullen has done really well and totally stepped up to the mark. I think DC has a very tough decision ahead of him.

19 minutes ago, Quantum Owl said:

Great result from the lads today and a blinder of a start. We showed a lot of character and were defiant at times where previously we would have crumbled (The reaction to the equaliser and red card).

Clearly there is a strong sense of team spirit that may have formed as a reaction to Bruce's departure.

So now for my point/question (and I might get shot down for this)...Why do we have to rush in recruiting a new manager? Why not ride the current wave of optimism before shaking things up again?

Its probably too late for another manager to make any real impact on the squad before the transfer window closes and would likely change the current dynamics in the team/ coaching setup. Cant we let Bullen have a good crack at it and if we begin to see a drop in performances or a lack in leadership then bring someone in. Its not as if there are super strong candidates that we will miss out on if we don't act quickly (bar Hughton who doesn't sound up for it anyway).

We could see how long this burst of optimism lasts without disrupting things too much and IF things start to go south then we can quickly bring someone in.

I know its only one game but Bullen has done really well and totally stepped up to the mark. I think DC has a very tough decision ahead of him.

Why are people saying it's only one game? Lee Bullen has managed Wednesday for a total of 9 games and is unbeaten in last 5 (won 3, lost 2).

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

If we can't get Hughton, who else stands out!

Rowett? Monk? Never got a team promoted! Think they'd be good but I wouldn't be blown away!

Need to stay away from Pulls, McLaren, Zola, etc

Stick with Bullen, I don't think anyone else is garunteed to do better other than Hughton!

• Like 1

Football fans do tend to be very short sighted. Long term I don’t see Bullen as the answer, but even though I say that the list of alternatives I’ve seen doesn’t inspire me if it’s not Hughton. I would just roll, without a full time appointment see where we in a month. 

Everyone remembers the Burton Albion game. Are we saying that van Gaal, Mourinho, never mind poor Frank de Boer, haven't had shockers in their time as managers ?

It was a nightmare - yes - but learn from the mistakes and move on. Let's face up to the fact that DC picks the team - hence why McLaren declined the job. He may have let Bruce have more of a say but we are hardly getting the creme de la creme lining up to adopt Bruce's transfers with the kitty empty due to FFP so we are basically looking at getting the most out of what we have, no ? If correct then that points us straight at the guy they respect and would run through brick walls for - Bullen. Simples.

Bullen could go on to be a very good manager. Better been that good manager with us than some other team. He has the dressing room and respect off the players at least we know what we are getting some people just fit in a club. Could get a big name manager and he could flop, it’s a risk either way but he has earned his chance.

Bullen seems like the type who is great at man management and will bring the team together, but does he have enough tactical nouce and knows how to turn around difficult situations? 

It'd be a big risk giving it him. All might be rosey for a while, but when it's crunch time and the pressure is on, will he come through? 

If he doesn't and gets the sack then there's no going back to assistant manager, so potentially lost an asset that knows the club. 

3 minutes ago, CalmJimmers said:

Bullen seems like the type who is great at man management and will bring the team together, but does he have enough tactical nouce and knows how to turn around difficult situations? 

It'd be a big risk giving it him. All might be rosey for a while, but when it's crunch time and the pressure is on, will he come through? 

If he doesn't and gets the sack then there's no going back to assistant manager, so potentially lost an asset that knows the club. 

Life's a risk, and we just get on with it and try to make the best of every situation.  Great to see the players and LB on the pitch in front of the travelling fans at the end of the game today.  A real bond!! Hard to see that with ANY of those mentioned as prospective management.  All for one and one for all....

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, CalmJimmers said:

Fair points. I view it as a situation where you leave him in charge rather than appointing him full-time just yet. Personally I can see them getting through as a group. I had the same reservations about the likes of Solskjaer and Lampard, but knowing the club, the DNA, the history and most importantly the fans as he does, I now believe that Bullen deserves at least a period to show his worth.If he has us as fans behind him and togetherness in the squad ( hutch's interview on BBC) we could be a potent force.

Edited by Reallondonowl
word addition

2 minutes ago, CalmJimmers said:

We don't know this for sure

Out of all people, I'd say Bullen has the humility to say "thanks for the opportunity, it's evident that I'm not the man for the job; but I'll continue to support the club in any role I can if the chairman wants me to".  It's my guess that if it all goes boobies up bullen would do this long before he was sacked.

Basically it's down to the expectations of the fans.  If we are expecting automatic, I don't think we'll get it.  Personally I think 10th is acceptable with the current playing staff.  If bullen does better than this he will have excelled.

16 minutes ago, Reallondonowl said:

Everyone remembers the Burton Albion game. Are we saying that van Gaal, Mourinho, never mind poor Frank de Boer, haven't had shockers in their time as managers ?

It was a nightmare - yes - but learn from the mistakes and move on. Let's face up to the fact that DC picks the team - hence why McLaren declined the job. He may have let Bruce have more of a say but we are hardly getting the creme de la creme lining up to adopt Bruce's transfers with the kitty empty due to FFP so we are basically looking at getting the most out of what we have, no ? If correct then that points us straight at the guy they respect and would run through brick walls for - Bullen. Simples.

Decent post apart from the bullshit about Chansiri picking the team. I really don't know whether you believe such crap or whether you are taking the wee wee