Controversial

10 hours ago, Simon78 said:

Am going to get slated for this but Morgan Fox needs to be starting tomorrow, as much as I like Liam palmer he just doesn't look comfortable there and when getting forward you just know he is going to check back to try and cross with his right foot. 

I think I will leave the team selection to the people who know best, and very few, if any, of those people, are here on OT.

13 hours ago, torres said:

Palmer proved at the end of last season he’s our best left back 

If you think Fox is a better option - you can’t have gone to many last year, you have a terrible view or you are Mrs Fox 

Tbf pal , nobody could have been to as many as you , it’s just not possible

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Slogboy said:

But he's young. Can't go upsetting the senior boys now can we

If Penney's good enough, then he'll play, regardless of age.

21 isn't that young in football, and if he's going to go on to have a decent career in the game, he really needs to start clocking up some senior appearances one way or another before too long.

For comparison, at the same age, Palmer had made more than 70 senior appearances; Odubajo more than 100; Iorfa more than 90; Fox more than 40...Penney's made 20.

Penney showed some promise when Luhukay played him at the start of last season, but at times he also looked like a player who'd barely kicked a ball in anger. Let's hope he can get some game time under his belt either here or out on loan and start to fulfil the potential he undoubtedly possesses.

10 hours ago, Ever the pessimist said:

Watching the Luton game tonight and I couldn’t help thinking McManaman would destroy Fox or Palmer.

We need a new LB rather than a choice between those 2.

I was thinking the same..Luton have only just come up yet understand the need for pace and attacking the full backs...We have not addressed either departments till this pre-season and it still needs tweaking.

1 minute ago, Slogboy said:

It's not always about ability. Politics in the game has a big part to play. Also being in the right place at the right time.

To a certain extent, yes. But those who are good enough will rise to the top more often than not.

Managers tend to play the players who'll help them win the most matches... except Luhukay, who's ironically the only manager to give Penney a run in our team thus far.

And other young potentials. 

Potential is just that though, isn't it? As we saw when Luhukay played the youngsters more frequently, it doesn't always translate into results in the here and now.

Hopefully the likes of Dawson, Penney, Thorniley and Baker go on to be great players for us in the future.

As things stand, they're not first choice players, and rightly so based on what we've seen so far.

Just now, Slogboy said:

We need to nurture them though or whats the point in having an academy other than being a tick box exercise

Nurture them by training them; giving them chances to improve and impress in U23 matches; arranging loan deals for them when appropriate, yes. Throwing them into the first team in place of players performing at a higher level than them; no.

Are there any of our youngsters who you'd honestly play in place of our more established first team players?

23 hours ago, Dutch McLovin said:

Matt Penney should start Left Back

Defensively poor. Better as a wingback or we need to mould him into a box to box midfielder. He has the quick touch, turn and has a decent shot in him to play the role Kieran Lee plays. 

At this moment in time no as bully needs results. If he played youngsters in the mix and results went against us, we and the lads would be slated. 

In terms of loan deals, Mr chansiri needs to allow the lads to go out first AND agree to pay half or all their wages.Plus they need to be played at the loan club so that they're developed accordingly.

It is what it is I guess

The issue of loan clubs not playing our players is frustrating. Under Chansiri, Penney went out on loan to Bradford and Mansfield, for example, and couldn't get a game at either club - he featured for a grand total of 66 minutes across the two loan spells! I don't know whether there's much we can do if the clubs just don't fancy our players once they get a closer look at them, but it doesn't help us or our players, does it?