Please, please, please not Pulis

21 minutes ago, 1993swfc said:

Although Pulis wouldn’t have been my first choice, looking at his managerial career he’s always seems to achieve the target set to him. 

Look at Stoke. 

07/08 2nd Championship

08/09 12th Premier League

09/10 11th Premier League

10/11 13th Premier League 

11/12 14th Premier League

12/13 13th Premier League. 

Hardly looks like a survival expert. Took over Stoke and turned them into a mid table Premier League side. Took them to an FA Cup semi final and The Europa League. 

Took over at Palace when they looked down and ended up finishing 11th in 13/14.

Took over West Brom who again looked dead and buried yet finished 14th in 15/16 then 10th in 16/17. 

The mans record cant be argued with. He guarantees results, probably not in the most fashionable way but you can’t say he is a bad manager. 

Very well put he has done incredibly well most places he has gone. And went close to the playoffs with Boro last year. I think he would do a good job. Hughton would be my first choice, then after that can pick from Karanka or Pulis for me.

18 minutes ago, 1993swfc said:

Although Pulis wouldn’t have been my first choice, looking at his managerial career he’s always seems to achieve the target set to him. 

Look at Stoke. 

07/08 2nd Championship

08/09 12th Premier League

09/10 11th Premier League

10/11 13th Premier League 

11/12 14th Premier League

12/13 13th Premier League. 

Hardly looks like a survival expert. Took over Stoke and turned them into a mid table Premier League side. Took them to an FA Cup semi final and The Europa League. 

Took over at Palace when they looked down and ended up finishing 11th in 13/14.

Took over West Brom who again looked dead and buried yet finished 14th in 15/16 then 10th in 16/17. 

The mans record cant be argued with. He guarantees results, probably not in the most fashionable way but you can’t say he is a bad manager. 

My issue isn't his record, it's pretty good with the exception of the past couple of years. My problem is;

1. The football will be awful, we already know that.

2. Our squad is almost the polar opposite to the one Pulis would need to get results. Can we afford the massive upheaval - both financially and time?

I'd rather not have to watch the Pulis style, and I don't think we can afford the squad changes that would be necessarily under his management.

Guest wilyfox
7 minutes ago, ashley8 said:

Why Middlesbrough not in premiership now then ? 

Because Garry Monk spent a fortune on strikers that didn't work in combination. He blew their load. Pulis had to pick up the pieces and cut costs. 

4 minutes ago, oh_weds_we_love_you said:

My issue isn't his record, it's pretty good with the exception of the past couple of years. My problem is;

2. Our squad is almost the polar opposite to the one Pulis would need to get results. Can we afford the massive upheaval - both financially and time?

I'd rather not have to watch the Pulis style, and I don't think we can afford the squad changes that would be necessarily under his management.

1. Do we know this? Yes Boro fans were not a fan but they moaned about Karanka too. At Stoke they played direct yes, but had players like Ricardo Fuller mixed in. Not sure it would be a lot different to what Bruce was doing. 4-4-2 with crosses into the box.

2. What would a Pulis squad look like? Experienced pros who are big and strong? Like Fletcher, Lees, Iorfa, Hutch. Not sure our squad is that different to what he would need. He might get another midfielder to bolster the strength in the middle of the park, but is that a bad thing?

I know Journos have pegged Pulis with a certain tag. But i just think Pulis will play direct and be organised, is that really that terrible?

11 minutes ago, oh_weds_we_love_you said:

Yeah the football isn’t amazing. But it guarantees results. I think our defence pretty much fits in with a Pulis side as does our attack with players like Fletcher, Joao and Nuhiu, the centre of midfield for me has needed beefing up regardless of Pulis. 

The main point I’m trying to make is that his record is a lot lot better than his reputation. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, wilyfox said:

Because Garry Monk spent a fortune on strikers that didn't work in combination. He blew their load. Pulis had to pick up the pieces and cut costs. 

This is very true. He took over a side of players that weren’t his, got them to sixth. He was then made to sell proven players that got them 6th such as Ben Gibson, Patrick Bamford and Adama Traore and was expected to improve on 6th place? Following season they finished lower, can’t sell your better players and expect better results. 

Just now, tarn owl said:

1. Do we know this? Yes Boro fans were not a fan but they moaned about Karanka too. At Stoke they played direct yes, but had players like Ricardo Fuller mixed in. Not sure it would be a lot different to what Bruce was doing. 4-4-2 with crosses into the box.

2. What would a Pulis squad look like? Experienced pros who are big and strong? Like Fletcher, Lees, Iorfa, Hutch. Not sure our squad is that different to what he would need. He might get another midfielder to bolster the strength in the middle of the park, but is that a bad thing?

I know Journos have pegged Pulis with a certain tag. But i just think Pulis will play direct and be organised, is that really that terrible?

1. Experienced suggests that, yes. I've seen enough of his teams over the years to predict Pulis' new club would be in for more of the same. And yes, it's not pleasant to watch - even more so at our ticket prices. I've always said I'd prefer substance over style, but Pulis' style is a bit too far even for me. Under Bruce, we kept the ball on the deck and used the midfield, I don't recall Pulis playing that way much, if ever.

2. Those 4, yes I suspect so. Reach, Bannan, Rhodes, Lee, Joao, etc. I suspect not. That said, I wouldn't be surprised to see Fletcher and Rhodes up top under Pulis, which ironically would suit Rhodes' game.

29 minutes ago, oh_weds_we_love_you said:

1. Experienced suggests that, yes. I've seen enough of his teams over the years to predict Pulis' new club would be in for more of the same. And yes, it's not pleasant to watch - even more so at our ticket prices. I've always said I'd prefer substance over style, but Pulis' style is a bit too far even for me. Under Bruce, we kept the ball on the deck and used the midfield, I don't recall Pulis playing that way much, if ever.

2. Those 4, yes I suspect so. Reach, Bannan, Rhodes, Lee, Joao, etc. I suspect not. That said, I wouldn't be surprised to see Fletcher and Rhodes up top under Pulis, which ironically would suit Rhodes' game.

I thought Bruce mixed the 2 playing styles very well, we used Fletcher a lot more than we did under Luhukay who incidentally liked to play out from the back and to be honest that was some of the worse football I’ve seen. 

Reach for me seems like a Pulis type, pretty sure Barry Bannan player for him at Palace in the Premier League. I don’t think every single player he uses is 6ft 9. He likes grafters and reliable types. 

34 minutes ago, 1993swfc said:

I thought Bruce mixed the 2 playing styles very well, we used Fletcher a lot more than we did under Luhukay who incidentally liked to play out from the back and to be honest that was some of the worse football I’ve seen. 

Reach for me seems like a Pulis type, pretty sure Barry Bannan player for him at Palace in the Premier League. I don’t think every single player he uses is 6ft 9. He likes grafters and reliable types. 

I try not to think of the football under Jos thanks pal! lol

Will definitely support him if he gets the gig - all we can ask for it people giving 100% for the club, and Pulis and his players will do that. I'd just rather we entertained a bit more whilst still having a team and manager that gives it their all - and I think we can get that from other candidates.

13 hours ago, unkastav said:

From reading match reports and watching motd that was the main opinion. Plus didnt he pick a reserve team in the cup which he got stick for

So it was reporters and pundits saying the Brighton Chairman had sacked him for being boring, it didn't actually come from the Chairman.

Just a bloke, who used up all his luck in one go when he met his wife.

We can carp on about wanting this Manager and not wanting that Manager. Chansiri is going to to do what he feels will serve his investment best, if that means he thinks Pulis experience will take us up we will have no say.  I don't  want to watch boring football and Pulis would not be my first choice but if we win most weeks and finish top 2 then I won't complain.

Pulis is catching up with Rowett on the odds and is nearly favourite. Which means he probably isn't getting the job with the way this race is going.

Like above, this all might become a mute point because if Bullen gets off to a flyer then he will probably get the job. Easy start for him so lets see.

As much as i defend Pulis i think Bullen has a chance of doing alright and it would be a good atmosphere if Bullen guided us to a good season. Lets see what happens.

We just need to do the most un wednesday of things, get off to a good start, if we do that then who knows.

18 hours ago, Royal_D said:

Megson won’t come here as assistant 

Yes he will, as they're joint managers now Gerry Francis has retired. that's why Megson's rep took a hit at WBA the only reason he didn't go to Boro was Woodgate in the No. 2

3 hours ago, HOOTIE AND THE poo TU said:

So it was reporters and pundits saying the Brighton Chairman had sacked him for being boring, it didn't actually come from the Chairman.

Not sure to be honest, maybe the chairman loved the football style but fancied a change :ph34r:

20 hours ago, HOOTIE AND THE poo TU said:

Oh ffs

Anyone want to buy a 3 year season ticket?

£200.

£190

£180 hurry and make your mind up, his odds, and your price is falling.

Edited by dorian gray
r
  • Haha 1