Don’t know what issue with bullen is

I feel that Bullen has a lot going for him, but the one thing that I do believe that he doesn’t have going for him that is crucial, especially at this moment in time is the contacts in the game. For me that was the Major plus with Bruce not necessarily his managerial abilities.  

Let me start by saying i dont want lee in charge,  l think some fans romance about 'one of our own' being in charge. I think some of our fans wrongly see a cross the city and try to emulate them. Lee has no experience a part from a few as caretaker not under pressure, if it goes wrong where do we go and the season is over. This i think this season is so important for us we cant afford to gamble

Few areas where have concerns

Ability to change and adapt when need arises.

Lack of contacts in football world to identify and secure right players in transfer market.

We must be light on coaching staff losing 3 we currently are using u/23 coach. Hence more staff required, Bullen may not have access to know good suitable to recruits to fill void.

He has been bolted onto other coaching teams and has little experience outside of Wednesday or opportunity to build network. 

• Like 1

Nothing against Bullen taking charge in the short term. 
But any longer then a few weeks then sorry its a no from me.
If another vacancy came up in the Championship or below would Lee Bullen be likely to be appointed?

Loving the club and having 'passion' is not a bad thing but I want a manager who can offer more than that.

Guest gizowl

Lee Bullen is good at what he does, but becoming full time manager is totally different, but he does buy us a bit of time to make sure we get the right manager. HUGHTON. 

It's just my opinion, he could prove me wrong, but not everyone makes a good manager and I'm not sure he will at this level.

He is likeable and a motivator and has a tough side. But I'm not sure he has the tactical knowledge, contacts or vision to be a manager. Having not managed before doesn't help although I get people have to start somewhere.

So yeah great that he can step in but if he's not doing the job all season I'd rather bring someone in asap.

Imo Bullen just does what we would do and picks the best players, which is sc plus but besides that I don't think he has the knowledge to get us promoted.

The thing people need to realise - without trying to cause panic - is that if we don’t go up this season, we are screwed with FFP.

the ground sale was a massive one-off plaster to cover the cracks, and can’t be repeated.

it’s okay saying ‘give Bully a chance’ but we aren’t in a position to just see how things pan out non-chalantly.

If a better option doesn’t come along, then fair enough, but realistically we need an established manager at this moment in time.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Lomas613 said:

Some fans moaning that he’ll be in charge but what I don’t get is he was working alongside Bruce remember and the fitness coach etc is still with us so all bullen would be doing is continuing the progress Bruce started surely maybe with a twist of his own ideas but other things he might roll with ?? Everyone believed Bruce would get us there so bullen surely won’t change too many things. But a new manager would change a lot more surely. So if we was all optimistic under Bruce then stay optimistic with bullen I am  

He was also there under Carlos and Jos.. You think he's erased all those years from his mind and is a new man with a new approach, based on a few month with Steve Bruce? And if you answer "yes", are you being serious?

Love Bully.. but he doesn't really look ready to be a manager.. and if he is he should go cut his teeth at a smaller club like everyone else does. He's not really had consistency of performance any time he's had the team, something which some draws help to cover up. The preseason games under him were mostly awful. Even in the last game, Espanyol looked at half pace, and we finished the game with Winnall playing mostly as a defensive midfielder and Lee as a number 10, while Nando just went and played up front even tho he wasn't supposed to. It was bizarre, lacked shape and lacked discipline.

With Reading putting 3 past Chelsea the other night, there's probably a decent chance we lose with Bullen in charge. I just hope that Bannan, Lee and Fletch can carry us over the line.

1 hour ago, Lomas613 said:

Some fans moaning that he’ll be in charge but what I don’t get is he was working alongside Bruce remember and the fitness coach etc is still with us so all bullen would be doing is continuing the progress Bruce started surely maybe with a twist of his own ideas but other things he might roll with ?? Everyone believed Bruce would get us there so bullen surely won’t change too many things. But a new manager would change a lot more surely. So if we was all optimistic under Bruce then stay optimistic with bullen I am 

The issue with Bullen is, he is a make do instead of the manager we need, you could say he is the cheap option.

So Bullen's in charge, but he has not been placed in charge so as things stand we have no championship quality left back, we need another centre back, when Hutch get injured we will be short in central midfield and we have no recognised right midfielder at the whole club.

If we have an experienced manager in charge such as Rowett, Hughton etc they would see this and look to bring the players in to give the squad the best chance of success. Not to mention moving out the players we don't need. 

Bullen on the other hand will do what the chairman tells him, no players will be coming in before the transfer window shuts and once again we will be going into a new season with a very unbalance squad where players are having to play out of position because adequate cover has not been brought in.

As most saw on Sunday with Joao a striker playing right wing, or Palmer a right sided defender having to do a job at left back because you guessed it we don't have a championship quality left back. Or the change Bullen made at centre back, did he bring on the centre back he had on the bench JVA, no he brought on a right back at centre back whose error cost us a goal and the win.

He makes these sorts of tactical or team errors at the week end and against a very poor Reading team instead of starting with 3 points we could end up with 0.

4 minutes ago, cookeh said:

He was also there under Carlos and Jos.. You think he's erased all those years from his mind and is a new man with a new approach, based on a few month with Steve Bruce? And if you answer "yes", are you being serious?

Love Bully.. but he doesn't really look ready to be a manager.. and if he is he should go cut his teeth at a smaller club like everyone else does. He's not really had consistency of performance any time he's had the team, something which some draws help to cover up. The preseason games under him were mostly awful. Even in the last game, Espanyol looked at half pace, and we finished the game with Winnall playing mostly as a defensive midfielder and Lee as a number 10, while Nando just went and played up front even tho he wasn't supposed to. It was bizarre, lacked shape and lacked discipline.

With Reading putting 3 past Chelsea the other night, there's probably a decent chance we lose with Bullen in charge. I just hope that Bannan, Lee and Fletch can carry us over the line.

I’m no advocate for Bullen getting the job but your not seriously picking him up for the shape against Espanyol in a pre season friendly ???   It was about getting minutes in peoples legs and absolutely nothing else .... debate Bullens qualities for job by all means but don’t pull him up for daft stuff like that 

Just now, room0035 said:

The issue with Bullen is, he is a make do instead of the manager we need, you could say he is the cheap option.

So Bullen's in charge, but he has not been placed in charge so as things stand we have no championship quality left back, we need another centre back, when Hutch get injured we will be short in central midfield and we have no recognised right midfielder at the whole club.

If we have an experienced manager in charge such as Rowett, Hughton etc they would see this and look to bring the players in to give the squad the best chance of success. Not to mention moving out the players we don't need. 

Bullen on the other hand will do what the chairman tells him, no players will be coming in before the transfer window shuts and once again we will be going into a new season with a very unbalance squad where players are having to play out of position because adequate cover has not been brought in.

As most saw on Sunday with Joao a striker playing right wing, or Palmer a right sided defender having to do a job at left back because you guessed it we don't have a championship quality left back. Or the change Bullen made at centre back, did he bring on the centre back he had on the bench JVA, no he brought on a right back at centre back whose error cost us a goal and the win.

He makes these sorts of tactical or team errors at the week end and against a very poor Reading team instead of starting with 3 points we could end up with 0.

Again.... why on earth are we talking about tactical decisions in a pre season friendly !!?

1 hour ago, WalthamOwl said:

Anyone that served an apprenticeship under Jos will never make a successful manager. 

He's been around longer than the dark days of Lukuhay, speaks well when interviewed.

Hopefully he'll have taken best bits from Bruce and Carlos. He clearly learnt one thing from Lukuhay, don't shut out vital squad players.

Edited by Sergeant Tibbs
  • Like 1

Just now, Royal_D said:

Again.... why on earth are we talking about tactical decisions in a pre season friendly !!?

Most teams in the last friendly before a new season pick the team they plan to play in the first game.

If you need to make a change at centre back and you have a centre back on the bench, you bring that player on, instead Bullen brought a right back on that ended up making a mistake that cost a win, in a friendly it oes not maker but what happens if he does the same thing against reading and it costs us the 3 points.

2 minutes ago, room0035 said:

Most teams in the last friendly before a new season pick the team they plan to play in the first game.

If you need to make a change at centre back and you have a centre back on the bench, you bring that player on, instead Bullen brought a right back on that ended up making a mistake that cost a win, in a friendly it oes not maker but what happens if he does the same thing against reading and it costs us the 3 points.

If ur on about Iorfa I’m pretty sure he’s played centre half equally as much as right back, and I’m sure he’s actually spoken about coming here to play centre half 

And I’m not 100% sure but wasn’t it Odubajo that slipped for there 2nd goal 

Just now, Royal_D said:

If ur on about Iorfa I’m pretty sure he’s played centre half equally as much as right back, and I’m sure he’s actually spoken about coming here to play centre half 

And I’m not 100% sure but wasn’t it Odubajo that slipped for there 2nd goal 

Iorfa is a great player for us and over the next 18 months we are going to have a very good player, but he is not a centre back and never has been, he is a right back / wing back. If we play him in the position he will be a great asset if we play him centre back then we will not see the best of him.

5 minutes ago, room0035 said:

Seriously?

Iorfa has played centre back before, so it's a little bit simplistic to say Bullen brought on Iorfa, Iorfa made a mistake, therefore tactical blunder by Bullen

• Like 1